Best way to learn how to build a pc.

Associate
Well i already have a really good pre-built pc atm and i wanted to learn how to build a standard pc i was wondering what is the cheapest and easiest way just to learn the basics my self. Where would it be best to buy used parts?

Thanks

Ananda1122 said:
Well i already have a really good pre-built pc atm and i wanted to learn how to build a standard pc i was wondering what is the cheapest and easiest way just to learn the basics my self. Where would it be best to buy used parts?

Thanks

Members Marketplace on these here forums. Yeee Harr!

You need yourself 250 posts and 6 months there little Andy! Make sure not to spam the forum though!

Yuppy-Kai-A!

Chris Beard said:

You need yourself 250 posts and 6 months there little Andy! Make sure not to spam the forum though!

Yuppy-Kai-A!

Well thats going to take a while any other ideas?

Thanks

Chris Beard said:

Yuppy-Kai-A!
I was told it is 250 posts and 3 months.. not 6? :confused:

Cheers
Tom

Edit: To OP: But inexpensive new stuff and then build it yourself.. I am sure if you ask some of the experience users will make a inexpensive spec for you to consider!

You could pickup a 286 machine from local papers Once you've setup MS-DOS and Windows 3.11, Windows XP is easy. At least you can learn on cheap hardware.

I've been building for years so I can't remember how I really learnt. I remember seeing a magazine article a few months back if that's of any use.

Providing you take the recomended precautions then there's not much that can go wrong nowdays.

Ananda1122 said:
Could someone spec me a really cheap spec from OC and i mean REALLY cheap.

Dont really want to spend to much since the pc will be worthless to me.
The PC can still be to use for you, i.e. you can use it to learn how to overclock and maybe even go for watercooling later on.. basically use it a testing machine since if anything goes wrong its not a top spec machine..

I made a spec for you, but since I don't know what components that you might have laying around at home it is a full spec, i.e. Case, PSU, CPU, Mobo, HDD, RAM, Optical Drive and Graphic Card.. if you have any of the mentioned components then just subtract it from the total!

CheapSpec.jpg

I picked a C2D but you can go cheaper if you pick a P4 or a Celeron I guess.. reason for the C2D is that if you overclock it you will be getting quite a good PC.. ;) Not so sure about the RAM though.. just picked what the mobo supported and was cheap, therefore only 1GB.. I am sure someone else will let you know if they are good on overclocking or not..

Also, if you don't want to play around with overclocking on it maybe you have a mate or two that might be interested in buying it from you! Ohh and I am presuming you already have a OS that you can use...

Cheers
Tom

Edit: To Dave ~ Thanks will have a read through that site.. since I am going to build my first rig myself after the 22 of July! :eek:

i learned by reading guides/watching videos on the internet, also heres basically the cheapest of the cheap of new parts if u wanted that (i feel like ive missed something out though) but 2nd hand parts would be cheaper probably

cheapestgd2.png

265 without the os. im assuming u wont be overclocking if u are an intel core 2 duo machine would prob be better

Last edited:
Admiral Huddy said:
I've been building for years so I can't remember how I really learnt. I remember seeing a magazine article a few months back if that's of any use.

Providing you take the recomended precautions then there's not much that can go wrong nowdays.

What precautions would they be?

cheaper mobo:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-010-IN&groupid=595&catid=597&subcat=643

I assume you need power:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-088-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

Cheaper disk:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-003-WD&groupid=595&catid=596&subcat=671

Monitor?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-035-OK&groupid=595&catid=596&subcat=670

K/b:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-088-LG&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=

This is getting pricey. I'd really suggest going and getting stuff from auction... I recon you could put together an old P4 for around £200 tops. Depending on where you live I have a 21" CRT you can have, it's got some scratches in the screen.

Last edited:
Ananda1122 said:
What precautions would they be?
Making sure that you earth yourself so not to shortcut any components, reading the manuals and double checking everything twice.. wouldn't be a good thing if you put a connector wrong and when you turn it on frying your mobo or graphic card! :eek:

Just lay everything out in front of you and slowly do one thing at the time going by the instructions in your manuals.

Cheers
Tom

Chris Beard said:
the case both me and the other guy listed comes with a power supply, and i assume because they wont be using the pc except to learn how to build one that theyll just use the monitor off their main pc. the board i listed has inbuilt graphics, but that one might be a good choice for the core 2 duo list because i cant see any socket 775 with inbuilt graphics (not looking hard enough probably)

mattyrigby00 said:
the case both me and the other guy listed comes with a power supply, and i assume because they wont be using the pc except to learn how to build one that theyll just use the monitor off their main pc. the board i listed has inbuilt graphics, but that one might be a good choice for the core 2 duo list because i cant see any socket 775 with inbuilt graphics (not looking hard enough probably)

Still a cheaper disk though.

Back
Top Bottom