• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Better than Ray Tracing - UE5 Lumen.

Caporegime
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure lumen uses ray tracing..... :confused:

EDIT:

Just had a google and yup it is a software accelerated form of ray tracing.

Pet Northerner
Don
Lumen (and UE5) is exciting tech that, along with more open source scaling like FSR should drive Ray Tracing into the hands of pretty much all gamers on affordable hardware.

Shame games that will use it are a couple of years away at least.

Man of Honour
Lumen is impressive but it isn't better than ray tracing - (unrestrained) ray tracing still provides a higher level of visual fidelity.

Associate
It is the same thing, if you add more samples/bounces in RT you kill the FPS, if you rely more on denoising then it is no different from Lumen.

Associate
Always important to remember that a lot of the realism comes from the camera movements, which avoid stable or static shots. If you had a more stable FPS-like perspective it would look less realistic as this perspective always breaks the immersion (at least for me). You can notice this in the recorded footage from the Matrix demo that was realised for the movie tie-in versus user footage from playing around in the same demo that has a fixed camera angle. For this reason I wish games would think about this and how to avoid overly stable camera perspectives (or repetitive camera bobbing) to help address this problem.

Associate

V F

V F

Soldato
Lumen (and UE5) is exciting tech that, along with more open source scaling like FSR should drive Ray Tracing into the hands of pretty much all gamers on affordable hardware.

Shame games that will use it are a couple of years away at least.
It makes me wonder what games will be like in 2030. Funny to think how far it has came since 2001-2005.

Even Crysis felt like a new breakthrough in 2007, which looks quite dated now.

Back
Top Bottom