Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Is it wrong that I would like one of these trails ready bikes as a daily rider? It would be pretty cool to be able to zip back and fourth to work and know that if I fancied it, I could use the same bike on the trails we have up here.

Nothing wrong with it per say, but it's a trade off.
If you're happy to live with it, then there's no reason not to ride a MTB on the road.

Associate
Nothing wrong with it per say, but it's a trade off.
If you're happy to live with it, then there's no reason not to ride a MTB on the road.

Nope. I freuqently use one of my mountain bikes for commuting even though I have a dedicated commuter bike. But I do have the option of going 'proper off road', on/to the way to work. So it depends how/where you will use it.

Ah, cool! I don't see how I couldn't live with it really. I'd be travelling 5 miles to work via roads/cycling paths along with cycling now and then during my time off. I'd definitely like to give our trails a go at some point: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6NZE9W

Associate
The new ride.

8053305047_4f52deda15.jpg

Associate
:)

they will be upgraded in time, have to let the misses calm down first after splashing out on this :)

I have now been barred by her from the CRC shop :)

It was a 2011 Shop Solied bike and i couldnt resist the price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, cool! I don't see how I couldn't live with it really. I'd be travelling 5 miles to work via roads/cycling paths along with cycling now and then during my time off. I'd definitely like to give our trails a go at some point: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6NZE9W

Screw getting a road bike if you live in the Highlands. Learnie is awesome. Balblair is great too. So is Laggan...in fact you have a shed load of stuff there.

There are a couple of people in this thread that ride Inverness way. I'm only a couple of hours away too. :D

Soldato
So go on then? how much did it set you back?

I have just put a leave request in for tomorrow, Going to try hit up swinly one more time before the rain really starts stopping us from riding often!

Rain stopping riding? What is this nonsense?!

It's more fun in the mud, and it hurts less when you inevitably come off! :p

Associate
Screw getting a road bike if you live in the Highlands. Learnie is awesome. Balblair is great too. So is Laggan...in fact you have a shed load of stuff there.

There are a couple of people in this thread that ride Inverness way. I'm only a couple of hours away too. :D

Haha, I've been posting a lot in the road cycling thread and have kinda brought myself down from the idea of doing off road stuff. Mainly because I don't think I'll get out to those places on a regular basis to take advantage of having an off road bike. :( We'll see, though!

Soldato
Rain stopping riding? What is this nonsense?!

It's more fun in the mud, and it hurts less when you inevitably come off! :p

Rain does unfortunatly stop us from riding as often. I dont mind getting wet and muddy but sometimes its just preferable to ride in the dry and the misses doesnt give me as much grief about the washing when its dry either :p

Besides riding swinly in the wet (as I have in the past) = grit city which is never nice! That stuff gets everywhere! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope. I freuqently use one of my mountain bikes for commuting even though I have a dedicated commuter bike. But I do have the option of going 'proper off road', on/to the way to work. So it depends how/where you will use it.

Though you are in the fortunate position to be riding Scottish XC like this on your way to work, dropping off curbs etc

At least that's how you annoying Scots make it out to be:D

Soldato
Got out for a quick ride today on the Blur. I could write loads but in short I'm chuffed, it feels light (acceleration!!) and corners amazing just like my hardtail did (very similar 13" bb height) and will feel even quicker when i swap out the 1kg ust tyres. It feels plush over small bumps with recommended sag (30%, I usually use 25%), pretty damn similar to my Covert actually, it also feels smack bang in the middle in terms of HA, Covert was 67, ht 68, this is about 67 and a bit, in surprised i can even notice, I'm beginning to see that geo really is hugely important.

The main thing I am impressed with is the stability at speed, I have a 1.5 min descent of about 300m over a farm track littered with remnants of dry stone wall, I was prepared to be pinged everywhere with the relatively flexy 32mm stanchions (compared to what I'm used to on previous fs bikes) but the low bb, slack(ish) headangle and relatively long wheelbase for a trail bike literally make it feel like it wants to plough on through, very unlike a bike with 127mm of rear travel. I know everyone raves about new bike bits, but I was prepared to be dissapointed as I sold 2 bikes I really enjoyed for this frame, it's working out well so far and seems I've got exactly what I wanted - the best of both worlds. so much for short summary (I promise ill stfu about this thing now) :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom