*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Oh massively, a big issue is that people know i eat junk food, so even when i'm trying to be healthy you can often get family bringing you round a treat when they visit etc and then once that happens it's easy to just think "well it's an off day now what else can i eat"

Soldato
Love it :cry: This is the problem though, isn't it. You make reasons for yourself to eat things you shouldn't.

"Well, it's the Euros, I'll have an ice cream and some chocolate. It's a special event"

"Well, I've had a good few days, it's fine to eat this entire bag of giant chocolate buttons..."

"Well, I just stubbed my toe, I deserve something nice to balance things, I'll order a kebab"

It's a day ending in a Y, I want a bottle of cider :D

Caporegime
Love it :cry: This is the problem though, isn't it. You make reasons for yourself to eat things you shouldn't.

"Well, it's the Euros, I'll have an ice cream and some chocolate. It's a special event"

"Well, I've had a good few days, it's fine to eat this entire bag of giant chocolate buttons..."

"Well, I just stubbed my toe, I deserve something nice to balance things, I'll order a kebab"

Heheh, you totally are on my wavelength. I've just finished up a Waitrose's carb fest (trying out new things for me like baklava, macarons) with the intention to get back on track today. But then - wait! - on Friday the Olympics start. That needs a beer, pizza and ice cream to mark the occasion! And it's been like that all year.

Caporegime
You’ve got a bit further to go than I did. I started out dieting on the 24th April and weighed 12.23 stone at that time. Today I was 10.57 stone when I weighed myself this morning with a BMI of 21.7
[...]I’m only 5 foot 9.5 inches compared to your 6 foot.

Just curious - why diet when you already had a normal BMI? Was there still obvious excess fat or something?

I'd have just assumed that within a normal BMI you'd just look to do exercise and make sure your diet was healthy, no need to specifically seek to cut calorie consumption. I mean it's only a rough guide but if you build muscle then you can even end up pushing into the overweight category while still being healthy/not having excessive body fat.

Soldato
Just curious - why diet when you already had a normal BMI? Was there still obvious excess fat or something?

I went to the doctor on an unrelated matter and he weighed me, I was something like 78KG which I knew from past experiences was a bit overweight.

So I bought myself a set of digital weighing scales and started checking my weight each morning whilst limiting my calorie intake.

First day I weighed myself I was 12.23st with a BMI of 25.1 slightly overweight then over the next 10 to 11 weeks got my weight down to around 10.60st with a BMI of 21.7.

So now it’s just a case of maintaining it in the 10.50st to 10.70st range.

Soldato
I reckon I do about 2300-2750kcals a day.

Typical day would be something like:

- Greek yoghurt with protein powder (proyo, it's wicked) with about 20g of oats, some blueberries and nuts (5-600kcal)
- Halloumi Burger for lunch (brioche bun, 100g halloumi, half red pepper, lettuce, mint, chili and mayo) - (600ish kcal)
- Typical dinner changes, depending on carb refuel or reduced carb. Today I'm working out at lunch, so I'll have a chicken burger for lunch (about 600-700kcal) and tonight I'm having steak and eggs. 200g steak, 80g baby new spuds, onions and mushrooms cooked off with the potatoes in a pan and 3 fried eggs (prob about 1000kcal).

- I will sometimes add in a protein shake, depending on what I've had in the day and if I'm feeling super hungry, or pressed for time and if I missed breakfast I'll add it in with lunch.
- I drink coffee with cream, probably about 4 a day. Proper cream. Serious cream.

I either ride and do weights or just ride, depending on day and the time I have. I do that 5-6 times a week. As mentioned previously, I am 5'11 and this time last year (maybe May time more realistically) over lockdown I hit my heaviest at 107kg. I weighed this morning (I normally just do it end of the month but was curious) and hadn't even taken a dump and had had breakfast, but I've now hit 90kg. It's been a completely sustainable weight loss. I still have nights where I eat pizza (having ooni pizzas this weekend) and at the weekend for the British F1 had full roast all the trimmings and finished off with sticky toffee pudding! Oh and homemade nduja burgers Sat night :p
I'm losing weight steadily, but more importantly I'm building muscle, which is helping me burn fat.

****, my wife is like 5'3 and 54kg and eats about 2200kcal a day! She's getting smaller, her weight isn't changing now but she's burning fat and getting leaner.

BMI is a pile of ****. Low calorie diets are a crock of **** and only cause your body and metabolism to get ****** long term. I did that for YEARS! I never get hungry now, I never feel like I'm missing out on anything food wise.

Caporegime
I am in awe of people who do weights. I just have zero motivation to do any kind of strength training, which has probably hobbled my success somewhat. I'd love to do it but I don't know how to keep going past a week or two. I need something to make it more fun/interesting. Sister recommended the Peloton app (that you can also access through a web browser on PC) and take virtual strength training sessions.

Soldato
Yeah, exercise is certainly the way forward. I did a 15 mile run last night. Got some chippy chips on the way home to go with the leftover curry i had got out the freezer and had 2 beers and was still around 1500 calories down on my daily goal (Porridge for breakfast and then scrambled egg on toast for lunch)

Soldato
I am in awe of people who do weights. I just have zero motivation to do any kind of strength training, which has probably hobbled my success somewhat. I'd love to do it but I don't know how to keep going past a week or two. I need something to make it more fun/interesting. Sister recommended the Peloton app (that you can also access through a web browser on PC) and take virtual strength training sessions.
I use Zwift and mix strength training with HIIT and core. Keeps me interested too.

Soldato

I'm similar to a point. I always enjoy weights when i do them, my issue is i have no motivation to do them at home and when i think of going to the gym i usually end up going for a run instead.

I did buy some resistance bands which i mounted to the wall and do them occasionally as they're next to my desk so will use them whilst on meetings where i don't need to participate much.

The best thing would probably to go to something like a HIIT class or one of those boot camps you see in parks etc. That way you get a group feel so feel guilty not going but it also keeps it interesting.

Soldato
Yeah, exercise is certainly the way forward.
I've just found trying to make it a part of my daily routine has become really important for so many things. I really suffer from high highs and very low lows and when I'm in a bad place, getting on the bike, or doing some form of exercise is huge for me. I used to find it hard to keep myself motivated to do some, but now I really look forward to it, but at the same time don't break my own balls if I miss a day. I just carry on the next.

Soldato
OP
I am in awe of people who do weights. I just have zero motivation to do any kind of strength training, which has probably hobbled my success somewhat.

I'm not sure I've ever particularly enjoyed doing weights, but to me it's not something I do for fun, it's something I do to stay healthy. Then it's just a willpower thing I guess.

Soldato
I'm trying to lose weight for the first time ever, down from 115.4kg to 112.6kg in just under a week :)

I know it's mostly water weight and the heat right now, but feels great to see a lower number on the scale

Soldato
Managed to get 3 stone off my brother who went from just over 15 to 12 stone in 10 months. He did some light exercise at home coupled with some major improvements to his diet.

Soldato
Not sure this weather is helping me at all. I have very little appetite in hot weather, but keep raiding the freezer for ice cream!

Same, I have only had 1021 calories today and I feel okay. Just ate an apple some peanut butter on sourdough bread and a steak and my huel drink.

Soldato

Have you ever followed a proper, not-stupid beginner's training program (as opposed to just grabbing some weights and doing some reps)? The fun comes from lifting increasingly heavy loads over time and seeing how increasing lean body mass changes your physique. It's like playing a game where you can level up your character. This requires access to a minimum of equipment and weights though. Bodyweight stuff can be viable but it has to be proper callisthenics training, not just doing some press-ups half-heatedly.

Caporegime
Have you ever followed a proper, not-stupid beginner's training program (as opposed to just grabbing some weights and doing some reps)

I have a Men's Health guide which gives you a sort of structured programme. That had you doing six different exercises each day but concentrating on one group at a time, e.g. Monday would be arms, Tuesday legs, Wednesday chest, etc. I didn't last very long due to all sorts of factors - the time of day I was doing it, having to write things down, changing the weights on the dumbbells, etc. Any excuse really not to do it. :p

I think going to the gym and using the weight machines would be more up my street but thanks to the pandemic, my town's only gym went bust last year.

Back
Top Bottom