Big mistake..

Soldato
*Apologies for wall of text / rant*

So recently I found myself in a new role working for a well known US based, IP network hardware/software vendor, however despite the technology they make being exceptional and them having a very good reputation in the industry, I think I've ended up in a bit of a predicament,

The role in question revolves around the global deployment of a $30M system and I'm permanently based on the client site to *assist* in the deployment and ongoing management of it. It pays well, almost six figures (perm) with good benefits, however 8 weeks in, I seem to have turned into a middle-man between the client and the vendor, dealing with BS I don't want to do. Previously I've designed and built very large networks - some of you will be using bits of infrastructure I've built right now :p (CCIE/JNCIE stuff) but in this new role - I'm basically just a front for the company, with nothing of any real interest to do.. My gut feeling is telling me this isn't going to work at all, I'm spending most of my time just being a middle man rather than doing anything technical - most of the cool technical stuff is being done by other teams, I'm essentially just a shortcut to the vendor as I'm the face of the vendor on site.

To top things off, I'm not sure about my manager - he's a bit of a dictator, and alarm bells started ringing them we spent 20 minutes lecturing me on how good he is at dealing with things, it was all a bit overwhelming, I'm used to being a consultant engineer - running my own shows and dealing with clients myself, rather than being *managed*

To make things even worse, this was actually one the hardest jobs I ever got - 7 interviews, trips to the US and Ireland, so walking away now isn't going to be easy...

I've been looking around on the market, and there are some good roles out there, I've also been approached (via my blog) by a very large company who I have a chat with tomorrow, - trouble is I'm not sure I want to invoke a rather obvious ****storm of hatred if I decide to walk away, but I want to do what's best for me without wrecking any reputation - kinda feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place..

Not really sure what to do, whether to give it more time - or go quickly whilst my probation period notice is only a week, as opposed to the 3 months it will be.... :|

Caporegime
Is this purely related to the implementation (as in once it goes live you'll be moved to another client and potentially have different responsibilities) or are you supposed to remain on site post go live?

Basically if you're potentially going to be there for the few years and it isn't what you want then perhaps moving is a good option, on the other hand if you're going to get a new project, change of scenery in 6 months then perhaps this is premature.

Soldato
OP
Yeah this is the thing, it's an ongoing thing ie- I'm meant to be down here for at least three years. The client basically pays a fortune to have an on-site resident engineer - which is what I am, the problem is they also bought a fully managed service, so all of the implementation is done by others, the support is done by others, the operation of it is done by others - leaving me as just a pretty face on site, it's a bit strange and awkward.

I was thinking earlier, that if I was only going to be doing this for 6 months or so - then fine, gives me a chance to learn the ropes on the products before shifting to another one and potentially trying to switch things up a bit then.. To make things even more irritating - there are quite strict rules around what I can and can't do, so the client quite often asks me for input on their designs or ideas - but I'm not allowed to get involved because it's not part of my official duty, I can't say I've ever experienced anything like it.

Caporegime
I presume they did not make it clear what the role would be during the interview?

If you're really unhappy then I'd just move on, sounds like they've probably miss sold the role to you and that is their problem.

(edit - spelling/missing word)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I presume they not make it clear what the role would be during the interview?

I think this is where things have gone wrong, despite the company in question (my employer) being pretty darn big, this is the first time they've ever done a 'fully managed service' previously my role would be to go on site and do everything, - Customer pays money, I go in, I design, test/POC, implement - handover and help the customer operate it in an ongoing fashion, which is how it was sold in the interview process - which is right up my street. However - in this case, because they've bought a managed service 80% of the above is being done by others, leaving me sat on my ass with not much to do other than answer a few questions now and then.

I know it sounds like I've answered my own questions, but sometimes it's hard to think clearly until you type it out....

Soldato
If the role isn't what you expected to be and you are still in your probationary period then I think its reasonable for you to leave. Probationary period cuts both ways and if you want to stay technical, this clearly is the wrong role.

If all they want is an on-site body for the customer to shout at, they can get someone with far lower technical skills at half the price. Where I work they're called account managers and usually come from a project or line management background instead of techies. Its a different skill set.

Soldato
OP
If all they want is an on-site body for the customer to shout at, they can get someone with far lower technical skills at half the price. Where I work they're called account managers and usually come from a project or line management background instead of techies. Its a different skill set.

You've hit the nail on the head I think,

If I step back and ask, 'what can I do that's technical and fits in with my skillset'? (internet routing, core networks, programming, scripting, design, problem solving)

The only thing I can think of, is some occasional compatibility testing when the customer brings new platforms online - but those are one-offs and probably not enough to keep me entertained, literally everything else is already taken care of by the teams in the US - all of whom know the products inside out (highly bespoke stuff) and I can't compete with them without being there.

I've got some calls tomorrow, (one is with one of the worlds largest MMO studios) so I'll see how that goes, I'm in the mindset now where if something awesome comes up, I think I'll just bail,

Caporegime
Good luck OP, hopefully something comes up. Don't worry about the company, they now need to think more about how they define this role and the sort of person they ought to hire in order to fulfil it. It is their mistake.

Soldato
/worst thread for boasting about sitting around all day on nearly 6 figures :D

All kidding aside, before jumping ship is it worth discussing with your management about how the role hasn't aligned with your expectations, and the way the role was sold to you was more from a technical skills standpoint than an account management role.

By the sounds of things whilst you are employed by your employer, it sounds as though it's mostly the client who determines what your work consists of. So your employer might not actually realise that your not getting any technical work to do. Discussing this with them might make them realise that as peter points out, some account management role may be better suited for this client, and then place you somewhere where a technical skillset is needed.

Another question - was this a brand new role, or were you replacing somebody? If the former, it might explain a lot of the unknown.

Soldato
OP
Smile, take the money and drink coffee / tea all day.

Probably a quick road to suicide for me, that sounds like my idea of living hell. My previous role I was getting similar money - but I left simply because (it's a long story) the company's sales model fell to bits, as a result the people in my team had nothing to do. For 3 months I sipped coffee and took the money, it's ok or the first 2-3 weeks, but after that it's ******** purgatory.

/worst thread for boasting about sitting around all day on nearly 6 figures :D

All kidding aside, before jumping ship is it worth discussing with your management about how the role hasn't aligned with your expectations, and the way the role was sold to you was more from a technical skills standpoint than an account management role.

By the sounds of things whilst you are employed by your employer, it sounds as though it's mostly the client who determines what your work consists of. So your employer might not actually realise that your not getting any technical work to do. Discussing this with them might make them realise that as peter points out, some account management role may be better suited for this client, and then place you somewhere where a technical skillset is needed.

Another question - was this a brand new role, or were you replacing somebody? If the former, it might explain a lot of the unknown.

It is all a bit narcissistic I'll admit :p

It's a brand new role.

These are the kinds of things that bother me, where it gets to the point where I realise 'this isn't working' and as such it can't continue - something has to happen, I'm always bothered with raising these things with management, I guess I'm a bit paranoid that I might upset the wasps nest and cause a whole load of aggro, as opposed to simply 'legging it' where I can just go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But it also seems unfair to do that, as they made a significant investment when they employed me, so it seems as though I should give them a chance to fix things...

But as a highly esteemed colleague said to me on the phone yesterday, 'If the boot was on the other foot, they wouldn't hesitate to let you go' which kinds balances out the feeling a bit...!

I'm gonna see how the phone calls go today, see what my options are - and maybe formulate something I can go back to management with and at least let them know that stuff isn't working..

Soldato
But as a highly esteemed colleague said to me on the phone yesterday, 'If the boot was on the other foot, they wouldn't hesitate to let you go' which kinds balances out the feeling a bit...!

I think that ultimately depends on the situation.

As you've pointed out, the interview process you described was certainly lengthy in determining that you were the best candidate for the role. I think they'd be particularly upset if you walked away without discussing your thoughts on the situation. Obviously if they have no interest in listening or making the changes you're after, then you know your choice is made.

Caporegime
I would at least sit down with them and explain it isn't what you thought (with your employer, not the company you're sitting in) and how its all transpired. They might be able to "swap" you out to something more suitable. If they say "like it or lump it" then you could try bringing it up with the company you're sitting in to see if the role can be adjusted from their perspective to improve the situ.

You could sell it with "currently, I really am not working to my full potential. I know if X, Y & Z were changed I could be giving you a whole lot more" and see if they do anything.

Alternatively, bail. Wouldn't worry about reputation. I get it, working for a big firm is scary that they may besmirch your hard earned name across the industry but ultimately...they're a big company like you say, it will be much easier just to simply put someone else in your place and move on.

Soldato
OP
I think that ultimately depends on the situation.

As you've pointed out, the interview process you described was certainly lengthy in determining that you were the best candidate for the role. I think they'd be particularly upset if you walked away without discussing your thoughts on the situation. Obviously if they have no interest in listening or making the changes you're after, then you know your choice is made.

I would at least sit down with them and explain it isn't what you thought (with your employer, not the company you're sitting in) and how its all transpired. They might be able to "swap" you out to something more suitable. If they say "like it or lump it" then you could try bringing it up with the company you're sitting in to see if the role can be adjusted from their perspective to improve the situ.

You could sell it with "currently, I really am not working to my full potential. I know if X, Y & Z were changed I could be giving you a whole lot more" and see if they do anything.

Alternatively, bail. Wouldn't worry about reputation. I get it, working for a big firm is scary that they may besmirch your hard earned name across the industry but ultimately...they're a big company like you say, it will be much easier just to simply put someone else in your place and move on.

Thanks for all the input, it's surprising how much extra clarity you can gain from a situation - simply by writing it down and reading what people say.... :)

I've just drafted quite a long email to them outlining the situation, so it'll be interesting to see what comes back from it.

Interestingly today, things took an even bigger turn for the worse - I got asked basically do what amounts of 3 months solid basic admin work, which I'm going to point-blank refuse to do, however I have feeling the company will side with me and kick back at the client and maybe try to re-affirm what my roles and responsibilities should actually be... so hopefully it can be worked out.

Back
Top Bottom