Big mistake..

Caporegime
I meant as in new systems not other. There's billions of projects out there and new things companies move into all the time.

I'm not sure what you mean? The OP is a consultant for a vendor - if the client wants new systems, enhancements then they'll need to pay for them. It isn't necessarily something someone can do on a whim - you're talking about projects costing several million - someone needs to sell this stuff to the client, someone high up at the client needs to buy it and the OP's time needs to be billed to them.

Permabanned
I'm not sure what you mean? The OP is a consultant for a vendor - if the client wants new systems, enhancements then they'll need to pay for them. It isn't necessarily something someone can do on a whim - you're talking about projects costing several million - someone needs to sell this stuff to the client, someone high up at the client needs to buy it and the OP's time needs to be billed to them.

Oh I see. Yeh that milarki.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, because I'm working for a vendor, the boundaries of where I'm able to get involved are strictly defined - I can't just logon and start 'improving stuff' or finding pet projects to do,

Sent an email to management this morning, so it'll be interesting to see what they come back with..

Soldato
OP
Oh gawd,

Total nightmare.

Had a response back from my email this morning, from my manager - his take is pretty much 'yep, that's what the job is' doing admin work - first line stuff between the vendor and the client, basically donkey work, whatever they want me to do - I do it.... There will be more technical stuff to come in future, but I'm not feeling it at all from the tone of things...

Time to gtfo I think, wondering why the hell they bothered, feeling very upset and a bit let down, and also stupid - how I managed to get into this position,

Caporegime
Don't take it personally bud. We've all been there. Happened to us all. At least you attempted to resolve it before just bailing out. Find something better and more aligned to what you need and move on :)

Better times ahead :)

Soldato
Oh gawd,

Total nightmare.

Had a response back from my email this morning, from my manager - his take is pretty much 'yep, that's what the job is' doing admin work - first line stuff between the vendor and the client, basically donkey work, whatever they want me to do - I do it.... There will be more technical stuff to come in future, but I'm not feeling it at all from the tone of things...

Time to gtfo I think, wondering why the hell they bothered, feeling very upset and a bit let down, and also stupid - how I managed to get into this position,

So your decision is clear and with that response so should your conscience. Good luck.

Soldato
I am looking at this from another angle - I am an SME in my field and i am paid for what i know, not what i do ie i am the conduit between different agencies/staff/customer etc - so i need to know what we can and can't do IYSWIM?

So by putting their best man on the customer facing side is surely a show that they have the confidence in you ie you can answer their technical questions there and then and go back to 'your' support teams to have the work implemented. That is what you are been paid for. Yes, it may not be a lot of hands on technical stuff, you have your staff to do that and you manage your clients requirements.

If you are wanting a more hands on role, then it is clear it is time for you to move on as this role does not provide that.

Caporegime
Oh gawd,

Total nightmare.

Had a response back from my email this morning, from my manager [...]

well at least you won't be feeling guilty now if you jump ship, they've not set the expectations re: the role correctly and perhaps have even mislead you during the hiring process

Soldato
Oh gawd,

Total nightmare.

Yeah as others have pointed out don't feel upset about it, you've expressed your concerns to your management, it's now clear that you know where they stand, and that it's doubtful that things will change in the future to something that aligns with your expectations.

Balls in your court now to decide whether to stay put, or jump ship to something you'd prefer doing.

I wouldn't worry about any reputation being tarnished, it's clear in this case that the job wasn't as advertised, so it shouldn't come at any surprise to management when you hand your resignation in.

Soldato
OP
The frustrating thing is, during the interview process they asked me a hell of a lot of highly technical questions, all of which are related to my skillset, I had 3 full blown technical interviews with a bunch of people, all of the questions were around things I claimed to know and do know, around very specific technologies..... 2 months down the line, nothing I'm doing - or will be doing seems to line up alongside any of that, it's like the entire hiring process is broken - anybody looking at my CV knows what I'm about..

Need to keep the energy up now, and rather than slip into a depressed mood - get something new nailed, I have interview next week for something that looks a little more promising, somebody who actually contacted me through my blog - so they know what they're getting, so hopefully this will align a bit better,.. I'll report back with how it goes,

Thanks for the insight/views/thoughts guys

Soldato
OP
Can't stand those kind of roles. In a business I thrive when pressured and have a high work load. I HAVE to be busy.

But that's just me!

Being in a role that pays good money, but where there's not much to do, it's fine for a few weeks - but after that, it becomes a living hell for me - I spent years and years teaching myself how to do things, and when I don't get to do stuff of any interest, it's literally a living hell, I become a brat, I get depressed, I turn inward and become very angry lol.. I think some of the time, people see high salaries being paid - but they don't see the blood sweat and tears that goes into getting that, my first job in IT I did for free for 6 weeks, just to get a CV with something on it about 17 years ago.

Associate
I'm a consulting engineer in corporate engineering for a monster IT vendor and find that my role can vary greatly. It does give me enough time for study, attending conferences and doing post graduate qualifications. I think you have to look at the long term opportunities available working for a company like Cisco; moving into management, becoming a technical fellow, training etc. Sure, there is no loyalty on their side when it comes to redundancies, but you should be golden when it comes to getting another job should you decide to do so.

Back
Top Bottom