Bigscreen Beyond PCVR Headset

The DCS cockpit in the beyond looks best to me but for AC i agree pico comes out in top.

Beyond is atill strong contender for me for index upgrade

I take all these youtube reviews and through the lens videos with a pinch of salt. Some of those clips had the quest pro looking amazing, yet I didn't like mine when I had it.

No wireless and needing to buy/use basestations and controllers are negatives for me.

You see, it's this which is a big positive for me as it keeps the weight down. Not having to use an SOC, battery, cameras and all the other gubbins required to get it to work. My use case is 100% sim racing though, so if I was playing other games then maybe I'd be looking elsewhere.

I think I've pretty much resigned to the fact that this year I'll be buying two headsets. Bigscreen and quest3.

Unfortunately there are very few headsets coming out with a displayport so very limited choice. Resale is a pain, but I can't see anything like this coming out which would make me want to upgrade. There's deckard, but it won't be anything like this.

Last edited:
I've been asking the bigscreen team for months about the steamvr render resolution. They never answer the question, but some of the early beta testers assured everyone they'd managed to get a 1:1 mapping at 2560x2560.

Anyway, it's a load of crap. I spoke to MRTV yesterday who has the final revision, and he checked for me. It's 3292x3292, so slightly harder to run than a G2 or Pico4.

No idea why it's been such a guarded secret.

Last edited:
That's much lower than the Crystals afaik, read about several people running that at lower than native resolution in order to get enough fps, which negates the purpose of using a high res hmd imo.

Pico4 (3120x3120)x2 = 19.46m
Bigscreen (3292x3292)x2 = 21.67m (+11% over Pico4)
Pimax Crystal (3232x3824)x2 = 24.71m (+14% over Bigscreen)

Due to the streaming overhead on Pico4, I think a good guess is that bigscreen will run at around the same fps, whilst feeling/looking much better.

Last edited:
Adjustable IPD and a universal face gasket would have made this a great headset but I feel it’s just too niche the way it is.

I was all for this headset, but I think they took it a bit too far. It's incredible they managed to get it down to 127g but the trade off is having a tiny sweetspot due to the eyebox, which then adds glare and edge distortion.
Thinking about it, I'd have been happy with something the size of the pico 4, maybe with a bit of added weight to the rear. If they'd have made a native pcvr headset, lighthouse, 2560 oled panels it would have been lighter than the pico with much better specs. They would have sold more, and maybe even had a bit bigger profit margin.

That said, I still take my hat off to them. They have set themselves apart from the rest for sure, but there is still a giant gap in the market for a G2 replacement. If anyone can make a pcvr headset for around £600 they will clean up. Not everyone wants/needs something over £1k

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom