Bike for a 20-23 stone person

Soldato
Do such bikes exist? The bike will mainly be used for off road type riding (up the woods)

Guess budget would be around £1,000.

Thanks

Man of Honour
My house mate has a Specialized MTB and he's around 24st, apart from needing the springs in the forks uprated to stiffer ones he's not had any issues.

Soldato
OP
I'd lose weight first, not many bikes will put up with that especially off road
Yea I was thinking of going that route to be honest. Would be annoying spending that money on a bike and it break, would always think it was down to weight or something.
My house mate has a Specialized MTB and he's around 24st, apart from needing the springs in the forks uprated to stiffer ones he's not had any issues.
Although that's interesting, do you know what Specialized he has?

Caporegime
I have a hybrid with 700c wheels that has a max limit of 120kg (19 stone) +20kg luggage.
I'd imagine MTB with MTB wheels can cope with far heavier than that without breaking spokes

If I were you I would get a cheap mtb with a steel frame and then get a nice bike with an aluminium frame once you have lost weight most likely.

although you might be fine even riding my bike it's not like the frame is going to snap I guess

Last edited:
Soldato
Email Gaz.

http://39stonecyclist.com/am-i-too-heavy-for-a-bike/

He's a nice bloke, very approachable and will give you advice and encouragement from someone who has been there and done it.

At 24 stone he was riding a standard road bike although he was avoiding all pot holes. I would imagine that a hard tail MTB with 26" wheels and plenty of spokes (32 to 36) will more than handle to job.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
NO! Your name deserves a big strong body, not some wimpy little skinny thing. No losing weight :p
Haha, I'll always have a big strong body don't worry, I couldn't become a puny human with a name like mine lol :)

It's the rockhopper.
Thanks mate
Yea' I might go that route too, got a few choices. I've mailed a few companies today and asked about the bikes as the limit is 250lbs but they said although it says that the bikes can carry a lot more.

[DOD]Asprilla;24755568 said:
Thanks for that mate

The one thing I'm now not sure about is 26 or 29er?

Last edited:
Soldato
Before 29'ers became the in thing with mountain bikes, such bikes with 29 inch wheels tended to be marketed as 'Clydesdales' at tall and large riders. A good number of brands had specific models, but now that they are all selling so many 29'ers they seem to have dropped that all together.

I think the wheels are actually the most critical thing you need to get right as they take all the weight and the spokes may go. This may well mean getting a hand built wheel which can easily be tailored to a larger rider.

The other area of course is suspension. A lot of bikes have air suspension these days, so you would need to be sure you are within the operating limit. With spring operated forks, its possible with some models to put in stronger springs to cope with heavier riders.

Soldato
OP
In the e-mail back about the Rockhoppers the guy put
The bike you are currently suggesting is a suitable option as it has a lockout fork which would be good for road riding and help increase travel when riding

what exactly does that mean? lol

Man of Honour
It means you can lock the front fork so it acts like a rigid fork with no travel, it allows you to travel faster over flat ground as you're not wasting energy bouncing the fork up and down.

Caporegime
Ok cool, so that could be an option with front forks that can lock?

if you will be driving on roads fork lock is a must
I wouldn't worry about disc brakes unless your going to be riding in fowl wet weather which most people avoid anyway

Back
Top Bottom