Bike for a 20-23 stone person

Caporegime
btw decathlon bikes are really good spec for the money usually far better components than the big brands
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81-2012-mountain-bike-grey-id_8168918.html

that has a better drive train than all 3 of the bikes you linked and good forks that have a remote lockout , it's not a 29er though
You might want to check some of the other decathlon bikes out too.

I think wiggle is the biggest etailer of bikes.
decathlon are massive world wide but only sell their own makes
You should really find a local store though to sit on some bikes and see what size is best for you the last thing you want is a bike to small or to big

Last edited:
Soldato
if you will be driving on roads fork lock is a must
I wouldn't worry about disc brakes unless your going to be riding in fowl wet weather which most people avoid anyway

Not entirely true. It depends also on the type of off-road riding he will be doing. His weight may mean he needs disc brakes as the rim type brakes may not be efficient enough to stop him quickly.

Additionally, CEN (European Committee for Standardization) has braking distance weight limits, which require that the combined weight of the rider and cargo can be stopped within a specified distance. Exceeding the max weight per CEN braking standards does not mean that the bike will not stop, but that it might not stop within the distance specified by CEN.

STRUCTURAL WEIGHT LIMIT: The maximum weight (rider and cargo) a bike can physically support.

This limit is different from the MAX WEIGHT PER CEN BRAKING STANDARDS

Sure, this is talking about CEN standards but the principle is still the same

Last edited:
Caporegime
oh I didn't think about that yea hes probably better off with disc brakes then as they can lock a wheel solid easily even when I was 16stone and going 40mph (lol traffic light changed when I wasn't expecting it :D) which made me panic and pull both brakes a little to hard..

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the advice. I've read somewhere about not getting a different seat but getting padded shorts instead, what are some good brands of shorts? I may struggle being a large lad for that I guess but at least it gives me some idea.

Caporegime
btw wiggle do free returns via collect+
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/collectplus#returns

I had a ready filled out "collect+" return postage sticker in my order from them even though for delivery they dispatched my goods via next day delivery using a courier

so if you get some shorts that don't fit it's not a ball ache to send them back

also for bikes
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/30testride

Our 30 day test ride

We’re so confident that you’ll love our extensive range of bikes, that we’ll let you ride one as your own for a full 30 days and if you don’t like it, simply e-mail us at [email protected] and we’ll pick it up from you free of charge for a full refund! Just make sure you keep the box so it can be re-used to send it back.

The 30 day test ride is available on all bikes available at Wiggle so long as the price when purchased had a discount no greater than 15%. 30 day test rides commence from the date of delivery. Intention to return the bike within the parameters of the scheme must be notified by email within 30 calendar days of delivery. This offer applies to all bikes purchased from 20th November 2010.

Please note: Bikes must be package safely in the same packaging used to deliver the bike to you. Retain packaging in the event of a return. A replacement box can be provided at a cost of £25. Our 30-day test ride is available on any bikes delivered to the mainland UK excluding the following postcodes.
Condition of the bike

We want you to be able to fully test and enjoy your bike during the 30-day trial period so take it out on roads or trails, give it a good ride, and make sure you are 100% happy with your bike from wiggle - we are THAT confident that you will love it!

To remain eligible we ask you adopt a fair usage frame of mind and ensure there is no damage to the bike outside of the usual minimal wear you would expect from a bike ridden for 30 days or a few rides. Further more, bikes that were discounted more than 15% at the time of purchase are not included in this offer.

For health and safety reasons, the bike must be clean! Bikes returned dirty, will incur a £25 surcharge. Wiggle accepts, that it's difficult to remove every spot of dirt, but please make an effort to return a clean bike.

Also, ensure you keep your box to enable repackaging safely. Wiggle can supply a new box, but due to the costs of doing so, a £25 surcharge will be applied. For a guide on how to repack your bike for shipping, click here.

most of the non 2013 models will be discounted by more than that though (often the only difference between the 2012/2013 versions of a bike is just the colour scheme though so it's probably better to get an older model and not be eligible for the return unless you really aren't sure whether you will be able to get into cycling or not)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
btw wiggle do free returns via collect+
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/collectplus#returns

I had a ready filled out "collect+" return postage sticker in my order from them even though for delivery they dispatched my goods via next day delivery using a courier

so if you get some shorts that don't fit it's not a ball ache to send them back

That's really handy to know!

Now I just need to work out what size frame I need, I'm 6 foot 2-3 and leg is about 31-32" I believe.

Caporegime
I edited that post btw to include details for their 30 days return policy on bikes.

I'm 6.3 and have an xl 21inch bike but my inside leg is longer than yours at around 34-36" and tbh I might have been okay with a 20inch
just goto halfords or somewhere and sit on some different sized bikes but bare in mind the seat on them won't be at the optimal height for you but you can at least see how much your arms need to stretch to reach the handle bars and get a general idea of what size you need.
make sure your toes wouldn't clip the front wheel during it's turning radius to.

I bought my blind though without sitting on a bike in about 18years.
I just measured my height and my inside leg and took a punt on what size most etailers listed for me in their size guide.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/guides/mountain-bike-size-guide/
has a good size guide

you will likely need a 20 or 21inch mtb frame

BTW expect aches and pain's when your first start out especially if your seat isn't the correct height which takes some trial and error.

when I first started at the start of last month I could only ride around 10 miles before my hamstring would ache in my right leg and I was starting to wonder if it ever would get easy but about 10 x 10mile rides later and I can do around 30 miles without feeling any discomfort.
the hardest thing was getting my sit bones to adjust to my seat but my bike is a hybrid (looks like a mtb but 700c wheels and a road bike seat)
apparently cyclists have a calcium build up around there sit bones which shows on xrays so I guess your body slowly toughens your ass bones up over time from riding

even 5miles for you is likely to be around 300-500+ calories at your weight.
stick strava or endomondo on your smart phone and use it to track your rides

you get a nice gps map of your ride , average speed , calories burnt etc
http://www.strava.com/activities/73685004 which makes cycling a lot more fun especially as you start to see your self climb up the segment leader boards people have made for the roads/trails near you.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I edited that post btw to include details for their 30 days return policy on bikes.

I'm 6.3 and have an xl 21inch bike but my inside leg is longer than yours at around 34-36" and tbh I might have been okay with a 20inch
just goto halfords or somewhere and sit on some different sized bikes but bare in mind the seat on them won't be at the optimal height for you but you can at least see how much your arms need to stretch to reach the handle bars and get a general idea of what size you need.
make sure your toes wouldn't clip the front wheel during it's turning radius to.

I bought my blind though without sitting on a bike in about 18years.
I just measured my height and my inside leg and took a punt on what size most etailers listed for me in their size guide.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/guides/mountain-bike-size-guide/
has a good size guide

you will likely need a 20 or 21inch mtb frame

BTW expect aches and pain's when your first start out especially if your seat isn't the correct height which takes some trial and error.

when I first started at the start of last month I could only ride around 10 miles before my hamstring would ache in my right leg and I was starting to wonder if it ever would get easy but about 10 x 10mile rides later and I can do around 30 miles without feeling any discomfort.

the hardest thing was getting my sit bones to adjust to my seat but my bike is a hybrid (looks like a mtb but 700c wheels and a road bike seat)
apparently cyclists have a calcium build up around there sit bones which shows on xrays so I guess your body slowly toughens your ass bones up over time from riding

Wicked mate, thanks ever so much for that post, handy to know. Might try and pop down Halfords after work like you mentioned and try out before buying as I really can't be bothered returning.

It's nice to know how you progressed, I'm expecting to be able to ride like 1 mile before passing out at the moment! I'm doing cardio in other means at the moment which is mainly light punch bag work but think the bike will help me build my CV and I remember when I was a teen how much I loved biking and stuff, when I get down a bit more I'll be able to do a bit more on it too.

I must admit out of all the bikes I've seen I like the look of http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized...ountain-Bike-2014-Hardtail-Race-MTB_64809.htm the most but I'm worried with someone earlier in the post saying the frames are good to 300lbs, I suppose I've got an e-mail from the company saying I'll be fine on one at my weight so if it does break hopefully it will be covered.

That Strava thing sounds amazing and would be something I'd love to get so will get that for sure.

I forgot to add, on top of the bike what else do I need, any tools? Anything essential I need?

Last edited:
Caporegime
TBH you may be heavier than I was when I started but I was likely as unfit as you are now.

I still can't believe how fast I'm dropping weight!
41 miles the first week I got the bike
26 miles the second week
60 miles in the 3rd week
13 miles last week :(
0 miles so far this week

from 16 > 14.38 and for the first 2-3 weeks I didn't even change my diet lol

I've always struggled with maintaining my weight and have been chubby/fat for nearly all my life.
if I can do it anyone can!

as I've said before on these forums somewhere
The only thing my stomach knew was feeling full.
I never felt hungry so my body must have been confused thinking if I was not full I was hungry.
but cycling has completely changed that I can only eat small meals now and feel hungry almost constantly but without the desire to eat until I feel full and it's a wonderful feeling to be in control of your own body

I must admit out of all the bikes I've seen I like the look of http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-...-MTB_64809.htm the most but I'm worried with someone earlier in the post saying the frames are good to 300lbs, I suppose I've got an e-mail from the company saying I'll be fine on one at my weight so if it does break hopefully it will be covered.
I doubt the frame would snap or crack near the weld points the only thing likely to happen is you might break a few spokes every now and again but it's not exactly expensive to pay a bike shop to insert some new spokes if you don't want to learn yourself how to tension them.
Just avoid pot holes etc until you lose some weight although I would avoid them anyway :p hurts my ass lol
aren't you the guy that used to spend thousands on moba's anyway so I doubt money is an issue for you if you do need to replace spokes lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's really good your weight loss especially as you didn't change your diet for the first 2-3 weeks! I'm already down nearly a stone and I started last Monday, I know for someone my size it's mainly water but it's a nice boost. You've cycled a fair amount of miles! Where I'm riding is beautiful, only problem is they fire in the morning so the morning cycles are out of the question for that, will have to find a road route for the morning.

Is it hard to insert new spokes and tension them? Will I not be blowing tires up left right and center though? lol.

Yea that's me, I'm still that guy lol -.-

Caporegime
a lot of tyres these days have kevlar guards so you can ride over glass.
some tyres can even roll over a drawing pin these days..

inserting and tensioning spokes isn't something I've had to try yet it's probably not that hard if you get a spoke tension meter thingy

Living in the city centre most roads near me are busy to but luckily theres a moor near me with cycle paths going across it that are over a mile long ^_^ so I've stuck to their and riding around local parks for the most part.

if you ride on roads look at the youtube videos than teach you not to be a nervous rider cycling in the gutter because that is dangerous and causes people to try unsafe overtakes unless the road is pretty wide to begin with.

you will likely discover a lot of roads near you have cycling lanes you never even noticed before anyway though

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
a lot of tyres these days have kevlar guards so you can ride over glass.
some tyres can even roll over a drawing pin these days..

inserting and tensioning spokes isn't something I've had to try yet it's probably not that hard if you get a spoke tension meter thingy

Living in the city centre most roads near me are busy to but luckily theres a moor near me with cycle paths going across it that are over a mile long ^_^ so I've stuck to their and riding around local parks for the most part.

if you ride on roads look at the youtube videos than teach you not to be a nervous rider cycling in the gutter because that is dangerous and causes people to try unsafe overtakes unless the road is pretty wide to begin with.

you will likely discover a lot of roads near you have cycling lanes you never even noticed before anyway though
Wow at the tyres, last time I rode a bike was about 13 years ago and I swear there wasn't stuff like that, or it might have been I couldn't afford it then lol.

I'll check out those videos on youtube for sure, there is a trail I'll be able to ride once I'm a little less as there is lots of bumps and tree routes and stuff.

From what I've read online the bike I was thinking of getting while good apparently you can get much better for the same money if not less :( Not sure what to get now :(

Back
Top Bottom