Bike For Work?

Soldato
Subway Carrera 8 - with wheel in hub gears and the drum brakes. This is the bike I use and it is an excellent commuter bike. Not only is it a hybrid of road/mountain bike, but it is also effectively maintenance free due to not needing to oil the gears and the brakes being enclosed from the elements.

Not sure if anywhere stocks them now though, but one could be had on ebay cheap, or a modern alternative in one of the retailers I'm sure.

Soldato
Soft tail mountain bikes are the absolute worst thing for riding on the road, between the up and down movement from the suspension and the thick chunky tyres you are wasting so much energy. Get a road bike if your budget can stretch to one you find suitable, at the very worst get a hard tail mountain bike at least you wont be wasting so much energy. I bought a hard tail Claud Butler for £250 a couple of years ago its been a great bike :D

Tea Drinker
Don
I'll expand.

The more 'features' you have the worse the bike will be. At your budget go for simplicity and quality.

The bike above I've done 1000 miles on around London and it's comfortable and easy to ride. I've since replaced the tyres with Continental touring tyres and had the rear wheel rebuilt with double butted spokes.

My dad who refuses to take my advice bought a £300 all singing all dancing thing from Halfords abd its crap. The suspension does nothing and the disc brakes just make an awful sound.

Associate
Best thing to do , build your own. I built my mountain bike from the frame up.

Means I have the equivalent of a £1000+ bike and I only spent £450 on the parts (Although I need to upgrade the forks)

And I learnt how to take care of any maintenance myself without paying over the odds for it to be done for me.

Untitled_zpsfe56299c.png

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Best thing to do , build your own. I built my mountain bike from the frame up.

Means I have the equivalent of a £1000+ bike and I only spent £450 on the parts (Although I need to upgrade the forks)

And I learnt how to take care of any maintenance myself without paying over the odds for it to be done for me.

Untitled_zpsfe56299c.png

Very nice job, I dont think I could do all that or have the time :D

Man of Honour
I'll expand.

The more 'features' you have the worse the bike will be. At your budget go for simplicity and quality.

The bike he's ordered is quite basic, the gears have been faultless and the disc brakes haven't let me down. The only thing I hated was the seat because compared to my road bike it was like sitting on a rock so I changed it.
I'm hoping you won't regret your choice OP, let us know what you think.
I've also put Shimano M520 pedals on mine which will make you more efficient.

Soldato
OP
The bike he's ordered is quite basic, the gears have been faultless and the disc brakes haven't let me down. The only thing I hated was the seat because compared to my road bike it was like sitting on a rock so I changed it.
I'm hoping you won't regret your choice OP, let us know what you think.
I've also put Shimano M520 pedals on mine which will make you more efficient.

Yeah from the reading, it seems the only issue people do have is the seat. Not to much a problem I have got a Gel seat I bought which is very comfortable.

Not quite sure if it will fit the seat yet though.

Will take alook at them Pedals once I have ridden the bike for couple days.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom