bike touring europe

Man of Honour
Still contemplating my future and possibly accepting voluntary redundancy at work.
Has anyone toured Europe or bike touring in general?
Keeping kit price to a minimum what would you want to carry. I already have my hiking gear(ultra light weight) which covers most aspects, but have no bike gear.

and if staying in campsites what would you expect to budget per day.

seems to be a fair few second hand touring bikes with rear rack for around the £300 mark.

and just any experiences kit lists, etc would be handy.
been looking at the eurovelo routes down to rome.

Soldato
I've done a fair bit of cycle touring, mainly in Holland, Germany and Belgium, as well as the UK. Tons of info on the ctc forum including kitlists and other info, there's also a camping sub forum too.

Soldato
The combination of your hiking kit + touring bike + bike luggage (pannier bags, etc - do not take your hiking backpack!) should cover everything you'll need.

I'd also want a dynamo hub for charging devices+lights as well as a bike computer which can show maps. (I prefer just seeing a map rather than one that does routing)

Man of Honour
OP
The combination of your hiking kit + touring bike + bike luggage (pannier bags, etc - do not take your hiking backpack!) should cover everything you'll need.

I'd also want a dynamo hub for charging devices+lights as well as a bike computer which can show maps. (I prefer just seeing a map rather than one that does routing)

this is exactly what i was thinking, except using a phone as the map computer being charged by the hub.
I've done a fair bit of cycle touring, mainly in Holland, Germany and Belgium, as well as the UK. Tons of info on the ctc forum including kitlists and other info, there's also a camping sub forum too.
thanks, will go have a look.

Caporegime
You might not generate enough power to keep a phone charged while using it with GPS or anything. Plus I don't trust any of the phone mounts, tried a few and kept the best but still managed to have my phone come off and go under the front tire == smashed. A bike computer is the way to go, phone packed safely away for emergencies.

Man of Honour
OP
You might not generate enough power to keep a phone charged while using it with GPS or anything. Plus I don't trust any of the phone mounts, tried a few and kept the best but still managed to have my phone come off and go under the front tire == smashed. A bike computer is the way to go, phone packed safely away for emergencies.

Which computers, and how are the maps on them?
Also which hubs are good?
Trying to get a sense of cost.

Soldato
Which computers, and how are the maps on them?
Also which hubs are good?
Trying to get a sense of cost.
I have a garmin etrex20 which is good. Doesn't come with any maps, you need to add them yourself.

I have a cheapish shimano dynamo hub and a more expensive SON hub. There's no difference in the output of them (all dynamo hubs with the same rating give the same output). The SON has better seals and i use it for off road. Shimano hub only cost £20 new and it's great for road riding.

Soldato
Quadlock are good phone:bike mounts. Should be able to get one for ~£40 for most handsets.

I learned much about 'backpacking by bike' from JamesF's travel blog (cycled from London to China), although I've not done any myself. There are several sections where he goes into detail of the gear he used and what worked & what didn't.

Soldato
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this too. Generally for dedicated tourers people tend to prefer cr-mo steel frames, for durability, comfort and repairability, but it is by no means a hard and fast rule if you'd rather get a new/newer aluminium bike. Lot of people prefer 26" wheels for the ease of finding spare spokes, inner tubes, tyres and wheels but that's less of a factor in Europe really.

On a budget I'd say there's really two approaches you can take, bike wise. You can get an older road bike which was either intended for touring, or can be adapted for it with P clips and the like. Advantages of which being that they're generally quite fast/efficient on the road, and come with drop bars which are generally fairly comfortable/well suited for touring. Disadvantages; a lot of 70s/80s steel road bikes also come with steel wheels, which are a pile of rubbish and it's a bit of an investment on top to replace them immediately, and similar story with the shifters usually. Stem shifters are a pain, bar ends are the best but downtube shifters are okay, and could allow you to switch to bar ends of brifters if you so desire. This is probably the approach to take if you're the sort of person who would religiously plan every day and have specific distance targets and destinations to reach.

The alternative is to go down the road a lot of the higher end modern touring bikes seem to, which is to construct some sort of mountain bike/road bike Frankenstein's monster. See things like the Surly Troll, Genesis Vagabond, Trek 920 etc. which you can somewhat approximate on a budget by finding a solid cr-mo mountain bike frameset and building something up around it, with newer wheels, groupset, and either drop bars or butterfly/swept back bars if you prefer. This wouldn't be as fast on the road, but would likely be a lot more versatile and suited to someone who wants the option to explore some less than perfectly paved paths "just to see where they go". It would have a more upright riding position, which would put you in the wind more but can be a lot more comfortable on the neck/back when spending long hours in the saddle. And mountain bike groupsets are typically far better suited to carrying heavy loads up long, steep hills - hence why some people put them (or parts of them) on road bike tourers too. With older MTB frames, you're probably stuck with canti brakes or maybe mini-Vs, but they're not so bad when well adjusted and there are some good performing modern ones developed for cyclocross.

Lot of this depends how handy you are with a hex key, of course. Local bicycle cooperatives are worth looking into.

On phone charging, might be cheaper/simpler to have a fairly large solar panel you can strap to the top of your rack instead of messing with hubs, which can be expensive and pretty hit and miss. But you can generally get a few days charge out of a reasonably cheap external battery pack, if you think you might be staying somewhere you could charge it that often.

Soldato
I'm soon to put my order in for a touring bike but did quite a bit of searching on Google. The reasonably cheap and popular option is to have a look at a Ridgeback Panorama. They are just under £1k new so may find a secondhand one at the price you are looking at but I suppose it depends if you want a drop bar bike or not. I wanted a hydro disc braked drop bar tourer so going for a Shand Stoater.

Man of Honour
OP
yeah i've been keeping my eye on ebay and there's been a fair few touring bikes, steel frame drop bars etc. Also been doing some reading up, and seems 700x35c seem a good option if i'm not going to far off places. Seems to be a good payoff between rolling resistant and not getting pinch flats on rougher cycle routes that aren't tar mac'd.
I was thinking mechanical disc, easy to repair and mud/buckled wheels aren't so much of an issue. Also probably just rear panniers, my hiking kit + food, fits under 60L. ]
didn't think of a solar panel. Although hub seems cheap enough.

Also building it might be a good option if i keep costs under control, i would want to make sure it has good rims on it, and probably play about with handlebar height and stem length.

been watching some youtube etc, and Iran looks so tempting, but so far away from UK-Sicily route. But that is something that has really caught my attention.

Meeting at work tomorrow, should get a much better idea of where this is all heading, will also express my interest in voluntary redundancy and see what their reaction is.

Soldato
Also been doing some reading up, and seems 700x35c seem a good option if i'm not going to far off places.
Yep, wider slick tyres dont drag much at all really. Certainly not a noticeable difference from 25c or 28c at 'touring' speeds.

Also probably just rear panniers, my hiking kit + food, fits under 60L.
Having all of your luggage weight entirely over the rear wheel does effect the handling a little bit. Not a huge problem but it would be good if you could distribute the weight more evenly. It's also a good idea to have as much storage as possible on the bike - if there's points where you'll need to stock up and carry a day or two worth of food and water, that'll take up more space and weigh more than the rest of your kit combined!

didn't think of a solar panel. Although hub seems cheap enough.
Living in the north of Scotland, I dont have much experience of solar panels (or the sun in general) but the dynamo hubs I've used are cheap and reliable. The mechanics of a dynamo are really simple - basically a rotating magnet causes electrical charge in the wires it passes by.

Soldato
Soldato
There is something of a trend with the really advanced tourers these days - think Mark Beaumont - to have everything in handlebar, frame, top tube and a large saddle bag instead of a pannier rack. Could be something to consider if you have lightweight campaing gear, but it depends on your setup.

http://road.cc/content/news/144912-mark-beaumont’s-koga-solacio-ready-cairo-cape-town-record-attempt

My problem with that is that all the weight is up high (all be it lightweight stuff) whereas with front and rear panniers the weight is all kept low improving your center of gravity

Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
another question when does the weather start changing on the routes through the alps? Euro velo 5 and 7 pass through them, i'm assuming that it would be pretty miserable at height in the winter.

Caporegime
another question when does the weather start changing on the routes through the alps? Euro velo 5 and 7 pass through them, i'm assuming that it would be pretty miserable at height in the winter.
Velo 5 goes over the Gottard pass, it doesn't open until June and closes in October. June may have melting snow banks that re-freeze at night. July to Septemeber will be snow free, but if a cold NW system passes through it can get a dusting of snow that will melt in the afternoon sun. You can get a train through the tunnel though.

Caporegime
You'll find them pretty changeable in Summer just as much. There can be as much as 20 degrees temperature difference with not much elevation.

Back
Top Bottom