Poll: Biker Injuries Thread

Q: Have you had an accident as a biker after passing your full test?

• Yes, and it required hospital treatment and surgery

Votes: 24 16.3%
  • Yes, it required hospital treatment

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Yes, but it didn't require hospital treatment

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • No, I haven't had an accident whilst biking

Votes: 30 20.4%
  • Pancake. I'm not a biker but I feel the need to press a button.

Votes: 35 23.8%
  • Not passed full test

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
So, it's well known that bikers can have some nasty accidents, but I'm curious to know how many and how bad.

Can we have a poll for the following options?

Q: Have you had an accident as a biker after passing your full test?

Yes, and it required hospital treatment and surgery
Yes, it required hospital treatment
Yes, but it didn't require hospital treatment
No, I haven't had an accident whilst biking
Pancake. I'm not a biker but I feel the need to press a button.

Soldato
First for the surgery :D

My other minor incidents would be yes but didn't require treatment. :p
If you ride I think its 'when' not 'if' you will have a minor off (as we call them) which could be as silly as dropping the bike at 2mph!

Associate
Yes, No hospital.
2 Times:

1) Day of test.
On the way to test centre, in a rush because we are running late.
Going down lanes, I go too quickly round a bend and up a bit of grass into a bush, back onto road bike goes into a tank slapper, then over onto its right and I scrape along the road while trapped under the bike at 50mph.
Textile jacket ruined, big bruise on leg, passed test!

2)
Car in front at junction, no-one coming down the road, I move, car didn't.
The bike bounced off the bumper, managed to keep it upright and pull over.

Man of Honour
I t-boned a car that pulled out 2 meters in front of me - I wasn't injured but bike was deemed Cat D (not structurally damaged, but too expensive to repair).

Car driver was uninsured, but MIB managed to get some money for my excess and cost of replacing my leathers. So I wasn't out of pocket as I also managed to sell the bike for the insurance value.

Tea Drinker
Don
Too fast round corner trying to get knee down etc, car tuning right just round corner, ended up trying to get down the left hand side, got the bike down OK but clipped the bumper with my leg which snapped in two both bones, elbowed A pillar and was slung into hedge / ditch whilst bike did a ghosty down the road.

This was a Friday the hospital had to keep me under till Monday till they could operate, cut open and dismantle knee cap drill out marrowbone all the way down slide hammer in rod screw top and bottom above and below break, no plaster or cages and I was on crutches for 6 months as they wouldn't let me put any weight on it till the bones had knitted together as I lost about an inch of bone through shattering.

All OK now no problems, they won't take the rod out as it may cause more problems than it's worth dismantling the knee cap again.

I was very very lucky, I was only wearing steel toe cap boots, combats and a bomber jacket and I didn't touch the tarmac.

Soldato
Have had 3 accidents, first was a simple off into a verge which then flew me up, up and over into a field, went up pretty high according to a witness! Landed and broke my wrist.

Second, worst one of 3, showing off to my mates whilst surfing on a roundabout while they were watching to get tips on body position when leaning, went too far, about 80mph round this roundabout and front went from beneath me over a seam in the concrete. Hit the curb, no brakes but skin pulled off on hip, and that was under leathers... That hurt :(

Lastly, sat at a traffic light, minding my own business, next thing.. OOF. BMW up my bum :( Guy wasn't paying attention, he admitted full liability to me and to the police. Very nice guy, genuinely worried and still speak to him. Back was done in for ages, still hurts sometimes :(

Still ride like I stole it :)

ags

Associate
One lapse in concentration - one metal hip (to be replaced again in the next 15 to 20 years), three broken minor bones in my back, dislocated ACJ and nerve damage. Hospital and immobilisation for a couple of weeks, surgery 12 months later once they realised they had missed a fractured femur & pelvis).

One over ambitious move at Cadwell Park - one permanently deformed finger (hospital and surgery).

Crashed at Donny and walked away (well limped - three weeks before I was scheduled to have the hip resurfaced).

Emergency rolling stoppie on the road left me on the floor with nothing more than damaged pride.

Knocked off outside a police station with nothing more to show than a bruise.

Soldato
Schoolgirl ran backwards into road whilst waving to a group of her friends on the pavement. Double decker bus oncoming, so nowhere to go and she literally ran into the side of my bike knocking me off. Wasn't able to pick my bike up for some reason, a kind chap in an shop adjacent helped me. Pulled my gloves off and found a bone sticking out of wrist. Sat down and felt very poorly!

Fortunately no pins needed, but did have a general anaesthetic to have it manipulated as it was a bit of a mess.

Little bitch then put in a claim for personal injury (or more likely her ***** parents; she went to the same school as my sister, and she suddenly started wearing a neck brace about a week later...) and my sodding insurance paid out without even informing me. This despite the chap in the shop being a witness and placing blame 100% on girl.

I also fell off my TS125 trails bike on a diesel soaked roundabout whilst wearing my non-CE approved School trousers :D Surprisingly, only grazed knees resulted from that.

Permabanned
Worrying reading...

Been riding since June last year, done roughly 8,000 miles so far over 4 bikes... nothing yet

Yet being the operative word, the amount of near misses caused by un-observant others is ludicrous! I even had one this morning on a roundabout, guy pulling out infront of me while I was on roundabout with priority. May have stopped next to him at the next set of traffic lights and accidentally broken his wing mirror because the bugger wouldn't even look at me!

Associate
Ooh mine are so ghey comapred to the ^^!

North side of London Bridge, stopped at lights, Addison Lee ******** **** drove into the rear right of my CBR600 flipping my off the bike and I rolled and came up facing on coming cars! Er..negalol! No injuries apart from a twisted ankle and knee, no witnesses and no claim as the fool dropped the claim in the face of me working for a big law firm. I still hate Addison Lee cretins to this dat.

2nd was just before Earls court heading north, van fool pulled over to the left lane without looking and took me with him, hit the kerb side on at 15 mph ish, stumbled, rolled and landed on my bum then proceeded to explain to the two guys in the van that there fathers were not known and they resembled female chav genitailia. Again no witnesses and it was considered 50/50 by the cops so nada came of it.

Two years and no issues since then, granted id only been riding a big bike for a few months.

Associate
Been riding since i was 8 years old, had loads of accidents on the track but only broke a collar bone.

Been on the road from my 16th birthday (42 now) had two accidents one totaly my fault riding too fast.

The second not my fault but broke my back in 3 places, broke all my ribbs and punctured both my lungs, in short i'm lucky to be alive ;)

Hence i'm paraplegic and ride a trike now :)

Associate
Worrying reading...

Been riding since June last year, done roughly 8,000 miles so far over 4 bikes... nothing yet

Yet being the operative word, the amount of near misses caused by un-observant others is ludicrous! I even had one this morning on a roundabout, guy pulling out infront of me while I was on roundabout with priority. May have stopped next to him at the next set of traffic lights and accidentally broken his wing mirror because the bugger wouldn't even look at me!

Well you were probably a bit shaken up and misjudged a gap...possibly.

I managed to leave a big downtothemetalsmile on a bimmers door when a lady near westfield crossed three lanes aiming for me as in she wasnt looking and as i swerved away my boot flailed magnificently to the left, shame.

Associate
I clicked No but that's on the assumption that racing incidents don't count. Otherwise I've been quite lucky so far and only needed med centre treatment not full blown hospital visit.

Soldato
going round a corner back wheel hit some black ice, bike did a 360 and flung my legs out sideways, left leg wedged it's self between road and bike then bike went over onto left leg and tore my knee is half. snapped ACL and PCL, tears in FCL and miniscus.

It was the single most painfull thing I have ever experienced, apart from waking up after surgery.

suffice to say I dont ride in the winter any more :)

Associate
Ive clicked 'no'

Ive dropped the bike but it wasn't moving so I dont deem it an accident, just a lesson to remember to put the side stand down!!!!

Soldato
Technically none of the options apply to me,

I've had one accident on the road but I was riding a 125 on CBT at the time, hadn't taken my full test (did that shortly after recovering), woman came from my left at a mini roundabout into the side of the bike, bike ended up under the car, I ended up a few metres up the road with a femur in 3 bitesize chunks, got a pin put in there, out of hospital after 11 days, back to work after 3 months and doing my DAS 7 months later :p

And in two years of racing I've crashed 5 times, broke my wrist at the end of my first year but that's the only damage I've had, which is nice :)

Associate
And in two years of racing I've crashed 5 times, broke my wrist at the end of my first year but that's the only damage I've had, which is nice :)

Only 5 times? Must try harder . . . . ;) I was once told that is you don't crash you're not trying hard enough.

I think I'm running a total of about 10 crashes in two years of racing. Most of those were in practise/qualifying though as I learnt where to push and where to ease up.

Not raced in over a year now, really getting the itch badly now but finances dictate at least another year out (buying a house really is expensive!).

Man of Honour
no hospital visits...

- tboned on zzr600, write off

- tboned on tdr250, insurance pay out to fix

- highsided kr1 and slid 50m down road

- pulled out of junction when car still stopped in front zzr600, lost mudguard

- missed apex of corner yammy r1, went off road on other side of road but stayed on bike, had to spend 20mins digging grass out of fairing

- slid off zx10r in snow on bridge

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom