Poll: Biker Injuries Thread

Q: Have you had an accident as a biker after passing your full test?

• Yes, and it required hospital treatment and surgery

Votes: 24 16.3%
  • Yes, it required hospital treatment

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Yes, but it didn't require hospital treatment

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • No, I haven't had an accident whilst biking

Votes: 30 20.4%
  • Pancake. I'm not a biker but I feel the need to press a button.

Votes: 35 23.8%
  • Not passed full test

Votes: 12 8.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
Living and riding in London, the cautious approach is definitely the best way to stay alive. Are you riding yet after your off?

Definitely, I strangely enjoy the challenge of riding through London though, not that it happens very much though.
Yep I'm back riding with no problems now, I did last year a few times but uncomfortably, deciding on what bike to get currently :)

Soldato
1st no, flew off after understeering and did a head first super man into a bank

2nd time yes, Van pulled out on me as i was riding past, kerplunk into the side, in hospital for NINE long boring days, concussion dislocated shoulder cuts to my forehead and a shattered wrist and dislocted with 11 screws and a titanium plate.

not the worst injury on here no doubt but it bloody hurt! and still continues to do so :'(

05092010479.jpg

Soldato
Had a few offs in my 15 years of riding. Would only class 3 as proper crashes in that they hurt like hell and required hospital treatment.

crash-1.jpg

1: About 10 years ago. Really unfortunate one this, back tyre went over a cold manhole cover while lent over, high sided. flipped me up. Broken collar bone as I landed and as I slid my elbow ground down to the bone. But then the bloody bike slid into my leg, crushing it against the solid iron curb. Not good. Nearly lost my leg as the bone was mashed to a pulp. few operations later including bones graphs etc I can walk but not run. Just thankful I was wearing all the full gear as it could have been a lot worse.

crash-2-1.jpg

2: About 3 years ago. Cant even really remember to this day what actually happened. Only time I have ever come off without full gear and it damn hurt because of it. Was nipping round the corner to see my dad. Hadn't got round to taking my track day tyres off. Went round a corner, cold race tyres. Woke up hospital. Not sure how I got the gash on my head. This I hit the curb with my head. Was knocked clean out. Bit peeved that a £450 lid didn't do a better job. The really painful bit was my arse. I was wearing jeans. Couldn't sit down for a month. skin grafts on my butt. flipping painful and will never go out in jeans again.

crash-3-1.jpg

3: About 2 years ago. Only a little one this, Track day at Oulten. Lent over that far my foot peg dug in and lifted the back wheel up. Simple low side at around 50mph. I thought I had stopped sliding but I obviously hadn't. Put my hands down, and was still moving. When I stood up I looked at my hand to find the little finger sticking to the side at 90 deg angle. While the bloody was still pumping I tried to but it back in place as best I could. I did ride to hospital where I waited 6 hours to be seen, then had a little Mexican doctor swinging off the finger trying to get it straight. X-rays showed it was broken and needed pinning but after another 6 hour waiting I gave up and walked out. Stupid I know, as it hasn't healed great and really needs re breaking and setting properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
1990 - T boned a Fiesta driven by an 87 year old who pulled out in front of me at point blank range. Result was hospital for a fortnight and off work for a year.

Ruptured Spleen, removed by surgical team whilst another surgical team fought to repair damage to my knee joint and leg - smashed Femur and massive blood loss from both Spleen and Femoral artery. Broken Clavicle and numerous cuts and bruises. Huge metal Pins and Meccano set fitted to right leg which is now @2cm shorter than my left leg.

Year and a half after that, whipped back in to Hospital to have all the metalwork removed.

Associate
Been very close to it when it was raining hard and was in a rush to get to work (oxymoron?) I near slid into a back of a car as I was slowing down (fish tailed it as well)

I dropped my bike on the same day doh!

Associate
Just 3 or 4 low speed off's in a little over 15 years full time, all weather (rain, snow, ice the lot!) riding everything from 125's to 750's while doing around 10k a year.

Bearing in mind that I never really hung around and used to have the points to prove it (that I was young and daft). I do consider myself lucky, because it doesn't matter how safe you are, there's always a chance that some idiot will spoil your day.

Car's full time now, but I still get the urge to buy another bike.

Associate
Hmmm, this thread is very off putting!

Not really, I did somewhere in the region of 150k on bikes, and the worse injury I had was a nasty grazed knee!

On the other hand from riding pedal bikes, I have a permanent limp (dislocated kneecap), scars up one shin (where a pedal took 4 troughs of skin out). And numerous scars from tumbles, and picking bits of grit out of myself.

On the whole i have had less accidents and done less damage to myself riding motorcycles than pedal cycles!

Associate
Only one 'official' accident on the road, some little offs mucking about on private roads and off roading.

Came over a blind crest, glanced down at rev counter (newly rebuilt engine on my RD125LC) to make sure I didn't exceed 5000 rpm. Looked up, all the traffic had stopped, grabbed handful of front brake, locked wheel (wet road), bike went down on it's right side, helplessly slid until I hit the last car of the queue, just happened to be a Triumph Dolomite estate (no plastic!!). Left leg trapped until he moved off.

Couldn't walk and was taken to hospital, had an x-ray, chipped bone on my shin, luckily not to have broken my leg, was off work for two weeks. This was 23 years ago mind!! :D

Been very lucky as I've lost a few biker mates in road accidents. Be careful out there :)

Soldato
Voted "Yes, and it required hospital treatment and surgery", sadly :(

Won't bore with the details, as the threads are probably still around, but had a big off in 2008 that put me in hospital for 10 days and off of work for 13 weeks - not my fault :mad:

Had two further accidents that were my fault, one required surgery on a severely broken finger, the other was just a trip to scan my massively swollen knee.

Much as I've certainly been banged up as a result of bikes, I'd never give up :D

Soldato
Just 2 minor off's, one 10mph lowside on a wet hairpin with diesel on the road and the other was letting the bike drop after an emergency stop when a van turned in front of me without indicating. Had a few crashes with off-road bikes when I was younger but nothing that needed any treatment, just hurt pride and privates.

Associate
Voted "Yes, and it required hospital treatment and surgery", sadly :(

Won't bore with the details, as the threads are probably still around, but had a big off in 2008 that put me in hospital for 10 days and off of work for 13 weeks - not my fault :mad:

Had two further accidents that were my fault, one required surgery on a severely broken finger, the other was just a trip to scan my massively swollen knee.

Much as I've certainly been banged up as a result of bikes, I'd never give up :D

link to threads i am interested!

Soldato
link to threads i am interested!

Bah, they must have been archived off :(

Can't find the thread I posted on another forum either - booooooo

Best I can find is my last, and hopefully my LAST off here.

That one was odd though - I didn't and still don't class it as a speeding-related crash, as ~65 on a nice open/empty, good condition NSL B road, is hardly 'speeding' in mine, and most people's books. Though... I'm ever thankful I only walked away with a gammy knee and nothing else (well bruising and a totalled bike) - I think I explained what happened in the thread.

Soldato
Real A&E on TV last night and some poor chap has gone under a 7.5T lorry.

2 Broken ribs puncturing his lung. Broken pelvis. The deepest laceration to his right hand I've ever seen. And another laceration, insanely deep from halfway up the back of his left thigh running diagnoally up through his buttock and through his naught :eek: the skin on his thigh had been 'peeled back'. Wasn't particularly pleasant to watch *vomit*.

Permabanned
The front tucked on me whilst driving like an idiot, knee down on the road the day after a trackday, slid into a stone dyke wall then i did cart wheels along the side of it, i spent the night in hospital and had hurt my back and suffered internal brusing, was off work for around 8 weeks.

155644_123395544389479_100001571026550_156057_355386_n.jpg

Associate
lol... if that counts i'll tell you about my drop...

My first bike, aprilia rs125... got a dog from a dodgy trader :(

Anyhoo... last outing before it was going back to him, engine compression's in such a bad state the starter motor won't get it going, can only bump start.

I'm running with the bike, jump on ready to grab the clutch and my right hand grabs what it shouldn't... the front brake.

So there's me travelling ~10mph, both feet off the floor, in mid-air above the motorcycle about to land and i grab the frikkin front brake!

So... picture the bike stopping dead and me still moving... I go heals over head and land square on my back, bike falls over in slow motion.

Laugh my arse off...

Mirror pops off and footpeg bends... so nothing more than hurt pride really.

Couldn't stop laughing...

Please post vid :D Nice bike BTW! I have one too

Permabanned
Hehe... if only... even the guys I was out with missed it and didn't realise what happened til I was on the floor.

Don't miss that thing tbh... for a learner bike it was a good start, but I got one with so many problems it was a real PITA.

Next bike's either a Busa or ZX14 :)

Soldato
you called? :D

hospital 6 months and off work for 9 moths - 14ish until full time.

i can always remember that when i left all the nurses without exception said i was one of the nicest and most determined patients they've had the pleasure of looking after!! :)

Back
Top Bottom