Bikers beware, the HGV's "Blind Spot"

Soldato
It is a very fair point, I always give all lorries a load of room on roundabout. Even had muppets in bikes going between me and the lorry. Even car drivers beeping behind me. Trucks have massive turning circles, I cannot guarantee that the truck is going to go where I think it is, therefore I always hang back.

More education IS needed imo. I have seen so many near misses.

Associate
I've always gone by the "if you can't see their mirrors" rule, which has worked so far.

I never knew quite how big the blind-spots were out to the side of the cab, I always get a bit nervy when overtaking on the bike in a stream of traffic and it backs up leaving me level with the cab.

Thanks for the information though, much appreciated! :)

spp

spp

Associate
A very informative post, thanks :)

As for the fuel spills, I'm surprised these overflow pipes allow fuel to be spilt directly onto the road. I wonder why they don't "spill" the fuel into a container on board the lorry?

Associate
Thanks for taking the time to share that info, always worth it for keeping safe.

As above - ****** Addison lee people carriers in the city - such a bunch of *****, seriously, the amount of times ive had close calls with them is ridiculous, lane changes without lookiing, in and out of taxi and bus lanes as it suits them, utter idiots.

Soldato
Cheers OP, useful information from the perspective of someone sat in your position. Like the other guys here, I take the assumption that if I can't see the mirrors, they can't see me.

I also am risk adverse on a bike. If there is any doubt in my mind about a maneuver then I don't do it. Quite boring but I value my life so it's worth doing in my eyes :)

I definitely would never risk anything unsure or dodgy, especially when there is a HGV involved.

Caporegime
OP
I'm pleased at the reply's here, you guys must be some unique breed - most bikers I encounter seem to be hell bent on death or glory!

Some of the risks I see (not just in & around the truck) I scarcely believe even though I see them for myself.

Luck or Lunacy, one or t'other.

Associate
Excellent post, always good to make people aware of the dangers on the road.

I drive both and know what a nightmare it can be for both sides!

With regards to cameras and trucks, being a truck technician i'm noticing more and more safety cameras on customers vehicles, particularly cement mixers and municpal waste hire lorries. Hopefully this will spread onto more types of commercial vehicles in the future.

Tea Drinker
Don
Yes yes yes, I'm in construction and a couple of cyclists got killed by concrete wagons turning left into sites when the cyclist thought the were going straight on and had already past the rear lights, now they have extensive mirrors.

My wife a couple of years ago had wheel nut marks on her roof where she had sat in a LHD lorries blind spot and the lorry moved over on her, the wheel nearly climbed the car.

Keep out of the way or get past them quick quick quick

Soldato
Thats a big issue - I often see drivers "Brimming" their tanks when fuelling at depots, they don't realise the overspill is then dumped at the next roundabout for you guys (I don't ride myself) to deal with.

I try to educate them as to why they should not brim the tanks, some listen, some don't, some are clueless many just careless.

That's interesting, do they not have a cap? I was following an HGV a few months back, a load of diesel sloshed over my car coming off a roundabout so I waved him over at the next lay by and told him his cap was off, he thanked me and I disappeared...

Also, I may just be making this up... but I'm fairly sure the fuel was a pretty bright pink when it came out. Lorry drivers shouldn't be using red diesel should they? Does it happen often?

Caporegime
OP
That's interesting, do they not have a cap? I was following an HGV a few months back, a load of diesel sloshed over my car coming off a roundabout so I waved him over at the next lay by and told him his cap was off, he thanked me and I disappeared...

Also, I may just be making this up... but I'm fairly sure the fuel was a pretty bright pink when it came out. Lorry drivers shouldn't be using red diesel should they? Does it happen often?

Yes they do have fuel caps - see post #12 - sounds like the chap you encountered did not tighten his up.

As for the fuel, yes, that sounds like "Red Diesel", it was probably coming from a secondary tank somewhere on the truck / trailer, and would be seperate from the engines fuel system which would (or should!) be white diesel. The red diesel tank's most likely use would be for running a "reefer unit" , "reefer's" - refregerated - trucks. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
A good rule of thumb is: if you can't see the trucks mirrors, then it can't see you.

I always like to ride in full view of the trucks mirrors for at least 20 seconds before I'll overtake, unless the road is big enough to get passed easily.

Associate
Yes, they have locking caps, but thats not where the fuel leak comes from.

Most fuel spills on roundabouts & bends come from overflow pipes, on a Scania for example, the overflow is on the top of the tank, if the truck goes around a sharp bend with overfull tanks, the overflow does the rest.
P1010134-1.jpg

(The black thing on the top of the tank that loops behind is said overflow pipe)

Sorry to be a pedant, but that pipe coming from the tank is a breather pipe and not an overflow pipe. It is there to prevent over pressurisation of the tank by releasing vapour when the fuel expands (due to heat). The little black thing between the tank and pipe is a safety valve which lifts at a predetermined pressure which then diverts the excess gas to atmosphere. Should this valve or breather not be fitted, buckling of the tank will occur followed by the tank welds failing.
It just so happens that when the tank is too full and the fuel expands, the safety valve lifts letting the pressure and fuel (in this case) escape from the tank. :)

Caporegime
OP
Sorry to be a pedant, but that pipe coming from the tank is a breather pipe and not an overflow pipe. It is there to prevent over pressurisation of the tank by releasing vapour when the fuel expands (due to heat). The little black thing between the tank and pipe is a safety valve which lifts at a predetermined pressure which then diverts the excess gas to atmosphere. Should this valve or breather not be fitted, buckling of the tank will occur followed by the tank welds failing.
It just so happens that when the tank is too full and the fuel expands, the safety valve lifts letting the pressure and fuel (in this case) escape from the tank. :)

Thanks for that - I bow to your greater knowledge. :)

I described them as overflow's as thats how they were described to me by a fitter at work - I'll slap him next time I see him! :D

Soldato
excellent post OP:) that could just be the difference between someone becomming road kill or not.

should really stick something like that in both bike and car tests tbh

Back
Top Bottom