Bikes for the taller gent?

Soldato
Of the suggestions so far the Blackbird is probably the best given your requirements, you could also have a look at the X11 which is a naked Blackbird which to my eyes is less boring than the fully faired bike. I would however make sure you have a test ride before you commit to buying as you're pretty much adding 100BHP to your engine which is quite a step.

Other (less powerful) Honda's that may fit the bill - CBF1000, VFR750 / VFR800, Transalp 700.

Soldato
I'm only 6'1" but tend to find only the larger bikes comfortable.
I'm currently on a ZZR1100. Probably a little on the old side compared to the other bikes posted but worth a go before you dismiss it.
Prior to that I had a Suzuki DL1000. Very good bike for a larger rider, great for touring two-up as well.

Associate
Hayabusa and fit buell footpegs to it...i did and im 6`5"....ZX12R is good to but the busa is more comfy for the pillion.
buellpegs.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, why would I want a less powerful bike? I'm failing to see any logic behind your comment :D

Extra 100bhp:

I thought my post was quite clear.

1) Your current bike is 50bhp, you are looking at a Super Blackbird which has 150BHP you do the maths.

2) The "less powerful bikes" all have bigger engines than your current bike, so giving it a little thought was I comparing them with your bike or the Blackbird?

Any need for the sarcasm? It doesn't inspire me or others to help.

Soldato
Sorry, why would I want a less powerful bike?

He means less powerful than the Blackbird, not less powerful than your current one.

Dullville->Blackbird is probably a similar or greater step in performance as 125->Dullville. The Blackbird is an extremely quick bike - the later ones are good for 180mph.

If you value touring ability over outright performance, then have a look at the Triumph Sprint ST and Honda VFR800.

Soldato
OP
Any need for the sarcasm? It doesn't inspire me or others to help.

Keep your knickers on love, jesus.

I was saying why would I want a less powerful one now that I have seen the blackbird. It was all tounge in cheek. I thought the video of Tim Allen grunting would make this apparent, obviously not.

Thanks for the help though.

Man of Honour
He means less powerful than the Blackbird, not less powerful than your current one.

Dullville->Blackbird is probably a similar or greater step in performance as 125->Dullville. The Blackbird is an extremely quick bike - the later ones are good for 180mph.

If you value touring ability over outright performance, then have a look at the Triumph Sprint ST and Honda VFR800.

At the same time though, if you can handle a VFR800, you can handle a Bird :), Bird is a big pussycat compared with a lot of bikes

Soldato
At the same time though, if you can handle a VFR800, you can handle a Bird :), Bird is a big pussycat compared with a lot of bikes

Absolutely - a bike only goes as fast as you tell it to, but the Bird can be a cumbersome machine for low speed manouvering with it's annoyingly small steering lock - the VFR is a better all rounder IMO. Both very good bikes though.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely - a bike only goes as fast as you tell it to, but the Bird can be a cumbersome machine for low speed manouvering with it's annoyingly small steering lock - the VFR is a better all rounder IMO. Both very good bikes though.

VFR does look nice but from looking and reading about it, it doesn't appeal as much as the Bird does for me.

However, I am no way near the test ride stage which will determine a great deal. Just trying to get an idea of what is good for my requirements. The VFR doesn't look as good for pillion support as the Bird either.

Indeed you are right though, both look like VERY nice bikes and at this stage anything is an upgrade for me personally.

Soldato
I have mixed feelings about the Blackbird. The first one I had (an 05) I hated - the handling was ponderous and whilst it was fast it was strangely dull to ride. I then had a ZX12R (the one in my sig) which I loved to pieces. As Stormer says though, its very much on the sporty side of what you're looking for, although it was fairly comfy with Helibars. Biggest drawback for touring was fuel range and economy. 30mpg and a range of 120 miles tops.

So then I bought a Speed Triple, which I still have, but needed a bike to go on a tour to Germany on. The local dealer had a '99 Blackbird on for £2700. It only has 13k miles and seemed a bargain, so, baring in mind my previous experience I slighty reluctantly took it for a test ride. Within a couple of miles I wanted it. Its such a different bike to the 05 - handling was far better, and the engine had a more raw feel to it at higher revs - almost Kawk like!

So I bought that in June and havent ridden the S3 since. Touring was perfect - I was comfier than my mate on his 08 Busa and faster than the other on his R1200GS. The bike never missed a beat, and was equally at home on the Autobahns and the D500.
I'm now thinking of selling the S3 as I just always seem to prefer taking the blackbird out. In fact I'm really struggling to think of a better all round bike to upgrade to. The new VFR doesnt interest me - too heavy and too short a tank range. The Triumph ST is ok, but doesn't have that ballistic top end, and the Busa and ZZR1400 require a lot of modifications to make as comfy.

Which leaves me wondering why I hated the 05 bike so much. I'd love to go back and test ride it again, to see if it really was so different, or I'd just changed as a rider and was less intimidated by the bike 2nd time round.

Take one for a test ride though - I don't think you can buy more bike for the money to be honest.

Pic of mine in Germany:

4735353125_5990cc0880_z.jpg

4735346707_a292dae219_b.jpg

And heres the 05 bike I had a few years ago

2206962420_5a81e374b2_z.jpg

Soldato
OP
Such a lovely looking bike. Makes me want to get one even more. Given my price range I would probably opt for an older bike, no earlier than 53/54 plate on my budget.

Your review is really awesome and I appreciate the insight, now I just have to get pro active about getting one. I think I'm done in terms of being able to get it this year but next year - depending on my circumstance I might be able to treat myself :)

Out of interest, how tall are you Sagalout? What is the mpg like on your current one - is it the same? What is the cost of a tank of fuel from empty?

In other news, this is becoming a real bad itch that I feel I need to scratch. I need to learn self control, whilst searching for self help guides on self control on the internet I came across this:

Self control out the window

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm 6ft and the bike is very comfy. It does have bar risers on it though. My knees do suffer a bit, but that the armour in my leathers more than anything. There is a mod to lower the pegs an inch so I might do that. Certainly had no problems doing a week of consecutive 300 - 400 mile days.

I think I worked out the MPG at around 40mpg average, which included some high speed blasts on the autobahn where you could almost visible see the needle descending (hell of a rush though!). From completely empty it takes about £23 to fill and it has an easy 180 mile + range

The link you posted above is high mileage at 47K - don't get me wrong the bike will take it, but mine was a year older, but only 13k miles and £2700. Just been looking on MSN and someone else on there prefers the carb bike (pre 99) so its not just me - depends if you like your bike silky smooth or a little bit raw I guess.

Keep looking around - there's plenty under £3k

Soldato
OP
Just bumping/asking more questions on this older thread of mine as I have a similar issue.

A friend of mine has just done his CBT. He wants to get a crappy 125cc bike to fuzz around on over winter on weekends just so he can keep his hand in. I have advised against this and to wait until his DAS in spring and get a proper bike then (his money situation is tight).

Can anyone recommend a good small bike for a tall guy? (Most 125's etc seem very small and low).

I think he is looking to pick up and old POS from the bay or something that he can ride for 6 months and not care if it dies. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom