Billionaire Peter Thiel's Olympics on Steroids

Soldato
Have you seen the news, that a doping friendly version of the Olympics is being bank rolled by Peter Thiel?

I personally cannot wait to see this if it goes ahead, seeing what the records can be set when athletes are allowed to be doped to the gills!

Man of Honour
The normal Olympics are already juice central but yeah this will be interesting to see when they can just go balls out without having to think about dodging the doping tests.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The records won’t be far off what they are now - if they even get broken.

Yeah, the issue will be that anyone competing in this who is serious will have to give up completely on traditional olympics if they actually want to juice. So you might have a weird situation where the top "clean" people still win all of the dirty olympics because the calibre of person who could challenge them on steroids is too far below the required level.

ie. If roids get you an extra 5%, you still need to be 95% as good as the world class clean people for that extra 5% to get you competing. How many people who are that good are not already deeply involved in clean competition and would give that up?

Associate
Yeah, the issue will be that anyone competing in this who is serious will have to give up completely on traditional olympics if they actually want to juice. So you might have a weird situation where the top "clean" people still win all of the dirty olympics because the calibre of person who could challenge them on steroids is too far below the required level.

ie. If roids get you an extra 5%, you still need to be 95% as good as the world class clean people for that extra 5% to get you competing. How many people who are that good are not already deeply involved in clean competition and would give that up?
Yea it sounds like an interesting idea on the face of it, but this is basically what I was thinking. Any elite athlete will not jeopardise their Olympic career for this (unless there's boat loads of money in it), and I'm not sure the drugs would do enough to improve the also-rans.

Soldato
OP
The Olympics will always have the prestige, as if you're an Olympic champion you're the greatest clean* athlete in the world within your discipline.

However, making money from being, or after being, an Olympian isn't the easiest of tasks - only boxing (to the best of my knowledge) translates well in to a future money making career, and adds tangible value to your marketability for your professional fights.

A privatised doping friendly version of the Olympics could have some serious prize pool money if they're fully sponsored events - that being said, how many would openly sponsor and promote doping friendly competitions, I suppose world's strongest man isn't doing too badly commercially.....

*until proven otherwise.

Soldato
I cannot see how this won't lead to someones death..
How do you become a contestant? By being the person who's willing to do more drugs than anyone else?

How do you beat your opponents, do more drugs than those that were willing to do more drugs than most others? That would mean your the most drugged up athlete on the planet.

Man of Honour
How do you become a contestant? By being the person who's willing to do more drugs than anyone else?

How do you beat your opponents, do more drugs than those that were willing to do more drugs than most others? That would mean your the most drugged up athlete on the planet.
Exactly the same as most professional sport now then but the upside of it being all out in the open is they don't have to use experimental drugs like "the clear" to dodge drugs tests and they can be properly monitored all year round by doctors

Soldato

Sadly, I think you are correct!

Soldato
1 miserable million dollars as bait for people to put their name out that they are taking and in possession of drugs which are often illegal not merely in a professional sports sense but in a criminal law sense.

Gonna fish up the cream of the crop for sure.

Soldato
Exactly the same as most professional sport now then but the upside of it being all out in the open is they don't have to use experimental drugs like "the clear" to dodge drugs tests and they can be properly monitored all year round by doctors
Yes but I guess that now, they have to do them but only enough to get away with it... Which would be substantially less and less life threatening than an all out free for all.

Soldato
From a humour side I find it amusing and I’d watch as a freak show but giving people carte blanch for PEDs? Not sure I can get behind that. Hearts are going to be exploding everywhere

Back
Top Bottom