BIM Workstation

Associate
Hi guys, looking to build a BIM workstation mainly using Autodesk Civil 3D, Revit and Navisworks. I am not too fussed about top of the range GPU for just now, I do not do much visualisation, so want to focus more on Processor and Memory in terms of budget. Budget of about £1500. Thank you very much in advance.

Edit: Sorry, I do not require monitor, keyboard or operating system etc, just the PC.
Edit: We sometimes have to deal with very dense Pointclouds, which takes a lot of resource

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,366.87 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Cooler: this.

Given your usage, would recommend swapping the IGPless 13700F for the 13700.

I chose an nvidia card since workstations apps usually prefer them and this card has 12GB of VRAM which might help with some projects.

If you plan on upgrading to a higher-end graphics card in the future, then I'd uprate the PSU to around 850 (and ATX 3.0/PCIE5 if nvidia is planned).

From a quick scoot around, it looks like Autodesk and Revit don't use the GPU in a big way, so I prioritised the CPU and RAM, as requested.

The motherboard only has 2 M.2 slots and 4 SATA ports, so if you need plenty of storage it is not an ideal choice.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you very much for that, much appreciated :) not sure what you mean about the 13700F, sorry for being stupid :p

Storage isn't a huge factor, so that will be plenty. And great I have the option to upgrade the GPU in the future.

Man of Honour
not sure what you mean about the 13700F

It has no integrated graphics which I'd advise against for a workstation, since time is money and all that (if the primary graphics card fails) and sometimes the IGP still comes in handy as explained here:

Associate
OP
For the Cooler you mention, can you see the difference between these models? They look very similar, but the ‎PA120 SE-Ying-D5 model is £20 cheaper.

PA120-D2
‎PA120 SE-Ying-D5

Both sold by Thermalright

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just If I want to upgrade in the future. Will probably be fine with that set up for a while mind you.

It is unlikely that a CPU upgrade would be worthwhile on this socket in the lifetime of the PC.

Graphics card can be upgraded (if you have/choose an appropriately sized PSU for the card).

Running 128GB of memory (4 sticks) is tricky with DDR5 right now, with both AMD and Intel, but hopefully bios updates will improve things.

There are 2x USB 3 Type-A and 1x Type-C on the rear (the rest are USB 2), which isn't the best I've ever seen.

For the Cooler you mention, can you see the difference between these models? They look very similar, but the ‎PA120 SE-Ying-D5 model is £20 cheaper.

PA120-D2
‎PA120 SE-Ying-D5

Both sold by Thermalright

I believe the non-SE is slightly larger, with different model fans and performs a bit better from this video:

The review I linked is of the SE.

I don't know what Ying and D2/D5 mean.

Associate
OP
which isn't the best I've ever seen.
Is it worth looking at a different motherboard? Or is this one still solid enough you think?

Yeah, you are right about the SE, the link to the retailer on the site took me to the non SE version, confused me, haha.... Which doesn't take much to do :p

Man of Honour
Is it worth looking at a different motherboard? Or is this one still solid enough you think?

In regards to the rear USB? Only 2x USB 3 (plus 1x Type-C) would be a deal-breaker for some people, but I guess it depends what you need. I mainly need USB 2 and this board has 4x USB 2.0, so it would be fine for my usage.

The compromises in storage and USB connectivity are because of the price, £150 is 'cheap' for a DDR5 one. Gigabyte make a comparable DDR5 board (B760 DS3H) and that's even worse with just one USB 3 (plus 1x Type-C).

Associate
OP
That's me got everything set up. I have run a Passmark Bench Test, and the CPU is peaking at 100 deg C. Thermal paste on, and fans are all running. Is this normal?

Man of Honour
That's me got everything set up. I have run a Passmark Bench Test, and the CPU is peaking at 100 deg C. Thermal paste on, and fans are all running. Is this normal?

At stock, they're definitely hot CPUs in multi-threaded benchmarks. What is the power usage while you're running the test? (I'd use hwmonitor or hwinfo)

Associate
OP
cpu.png

Man of Honour
Oh, you have a 13700K :o This is definitely normal, you can see that in the review here:

The 13700K has higher power limits than the 13700F and 13700 non-F (at least, they do at stock).

I'd recommend setting PL1 to 125 and PL2 to 150, or if you really want to get things down, then 90 and 125.

You might want to watch this for finding optimal settings:

Back
Top Bottom