Binaural recording at Spa!

Caporegime
How many of you went to a race weekend last year?

While I loved the V8s and V10s, I must say that after 2 race weekends the NA scream from the GP2s just became annoying compared to the V6 F1 engines. We actually had to leave the grandstand halfway through a GP2 session in Spain as the engine noise reverberating around the covered grandstand became unbearable.

The V6s are quieter, but they are far more interesting and listening to them live has opened my eyes (well, ears) to a whole new side to F1, not least actually being able to speak to the person next to you, something I've struggled to do during races for a decade.

If you haven't been lucky enough to see them live then I can understand the dislike. The TV coverage doesn't portray the V6 sound at all.

You got a time machine to go back to the GREAT V6\V10\12 days...

So the 1.5L 12,000rpm V6 turbos were great, but the 1.6L 12,000rpm V6 turbos are fart machines? Is that 100cc really that important? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
They sound great this year. It is a little comparing apples and pears but the difference between Jerez last year and this was night and day. I think the 2015 balance between noise and richness and variety of sound is perfect.

Soldato
OP
Bumping an old thread. Have a listen to these, more eargasmic binaural recordings of Formula cars.

Some great sounds here. After you've watched some of the video, I think the experience is even better by listening without watching, the spatial quality of the sound is enhanced and everything sounds bigger. Make sure you put your volume to 11!

I particularly like the sounds from about 10 minutes in. There's a continuous stream of cars going past. From about 11 minutes onwards as he gets closer to the circuit, once the cars go by, I assume that crunching sound is popping from the engines rather than road noise?

This one is pretty good too, and louder! Loads of popping and spluttering.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom