Binoculars £100 - £150

y5Fsme4
https://imgur.com/a/y5Fsme4

The same. I thought so too but not sure what “Real field of view” means. I’m quite sure some binoculars will state a higher fov but won’t actually look as wide for whatever reason
Fov is determined my magnification eg the higher you go the less fov you get and also by optical design. Ive got some 25x60 that have a fov of 2.4. My 8x32 have a fov of 7.8.

I have a pair of Pentax 10X24 UCF binoculars which look almost the same - they are fantastic and lasted me years so far.
Like I said, these are at least thirty years old! They're a bit grubby which is fine and the lenses could probably use a clean but I'll manage it somehow. Wonder if I can get replacement end caps from somewhere.

Like I said, these are at least thirty years old! They're a bit grubby which is fine and the lenses could probably use a clean but I'll manage it somehow. Wonder if I can get replacement end caps from somewhere.

Just keep them in a soft pouch when not in use and they'll be fine, endcaps tend to get lost anyway :)

i have the celestron skymaster and the quality is very good
i didn't want to spend over £100 so they suited me fine.
the intended use was astronomy but i've ended up just using them for general outdoors stuff in daylight.

It must be 40yrs ago when I first looked through a pair of Leica 10x25 pocket binos (in a shop with lots of other premium binos to compare with) and I was stunned by the quality of the view for such a tiny thing even compared to the likes of other Leica binos, and those by Zeiss and Swarovski. I never bought them though because they were expensive and practically useless at night, but I still lusted after a pair :) Well finally a couple of months ago I picked up a minty example for less than half price.

Moral of the story: Don't ever look through a telescope or binocular you can't afford lol!

It must be 40yrs ago when I first looked through a pair of Leica 10x25 pocket binos (in a shop with lots of other premium binos to compare with) and I was stunned by the quality of the view for such a tiny thing even compared to the likes of other Leica binos, and those by Zeiss and Swarovski. I never bought them though because they were expensive and practically useless at night, but I still lusted after a pair :) Well finally a couple of months ago I picked up a minty example for less than half price.

Moral of the story: Don't ever look through a telescope or binocular you can't afford lol!

Nice, about £400?

It's a clear night tonight so thought i would get the Pentax bins out I just bought. Wow, I was actually impressed I could see the craters on the moon really clearly and many more stars. I spend 30 mins outside before i reaslised i was freezing cold on my balcony

Nice, about £400?

It's a clear night tonight so thought i would get the Pentax bins out I just bought. Wow, I was actually impressed I could see the craters on the moon really clearly and many more stars. I spend 30 mins outside before i reaslised i was freezing cold on my balcony

I paid £250 for them. Glad you're enjoying the Pentax bins! You need to have plenty of layers to stand around still and be warm. It's my feet that used to freeze first - everything else I could put up with but when the feet froze that was end of observing session. I bought some electrically heated boots in the end :)

Do you want to use a tripod? If you don't want to, you have to look for a 1.5-3 lbs binocs that are light enough to hold them steady in both hands. Something like Oberwerk LW 15x70 or Celestron Cometron, they produce less sharp image but cost just around $30.
https://wildproofgear.com/best-binoculars-for-stargazing/
If you are ready for a tripod, I'd suggest Orion Giant View or Barska.
Eye relief, Objective lens and magnification factor is something to consider as well.

For stargazing (stars) you want light collecting ability - large aperture but low magnification.
For planets/moon you can use higher magnification.

Back
Top Bottom