Binoculars £100 - £150

Yes. It also magnifies hand shake which is why when you go over 12x you really need a tripod. Also the higher the magnification the narrower the field of view becomes.

Do you think the 12x zoom is worth it over the 10x (£10 more) on the Pentax SP 50mm WP?
Pretty much decided on these based on reviews on multiple sites and your help, plus others on here

Thanks

Last edited:
you can get away without having a tripod, you can use a monopod or a bipod easily enough, it make a *huge* difference to viewing/shaking. You don't even have to 'fix' the binos on it, just use it as a prop. Its a trick deer stalker use and it's really magic with a bit of practice.

For binos, beside the recommendations, if you get a chance to get to try the "HD" version of Minox or (especially) Vortex it's worth trying, I have a pair of Vortex HD that are nothing short of /amazing/ compared to the typical run-of the mill bino, I mean, the clarity, light, FoV, eye relief are a *mile* from "normal" binos. I spent several hours with like 12 pairs of binos one day before picking that up.

For binos, beside the recommendations, if you get a chance to get to try the "HD" version of Minox or (especially) Vortex it's worth trying, I have a pair of Vortex HD that are nothing short of /amazing/ compared to the typical run-of the mill bino, I mean, the clarity, light, FoV, eye relief are a *mile* from "normal" binos. I spent several hours with like 12 pairs of binos one day before picking that up.

Like these, there seem to by many Vortex HD models
https://www.uttings.co.uk/p131948-vortex-crossfire-hd-10x50-binoculars-cf-4313/#.XlGqAEqnyuc

ordinary straight-through binoculars don't work well with a tripod anyway - try looking up at the zenith with them mounted on one :) Normally you would want to recline in a deckchair or similar so you can relax, take the weight off, and look UP. 45 or 90 degree astro bins are perfect for a sitting position. Don't underestimate the value of being able to hold your binoculars very steady, you might think you can hold 10x binos well enough but you can't - you'll only see the brighter objects. It's takes time for your eyes to adjust to the view of dim objects and you cannot do that when hand-holding. You need some sort of support.

These are my standard grab 'n go binos:

These are my binos for more serious observations. Fit in the back of the car easily enough (tripod was home made). Uses 20x and 30x interchangeable eyepieces.

Last edited:
Do you think the 12x zoom is worth it over the 10x (£10 more) on the Pentax SP 50mm WP?
Pretty much decided on these based on reviews on multiple sites and your help, plus others on here

Thanks
At 12x power unless you use a tripod or monopod then stars will be jumping all over the place because of hand shake. Personally i would be looking at 8x for astronomy mainly for the wide fov. 10x is usable too but you do loose a bit of fov.

At 12x power unless you use a tripod or monopod then stars will be jumping all over the place because of hand shake. Personally i would be looking at 8x for astronomy mainly for the wide fov. 10x is usable too but you do loose a bit of fov.

Do poeple use image stabalizing binoculars to star gaze or are they for generally used for moving targets?

Do poeple use image stabalizing binoculars to star gaze or are they for generally used for moving targets?

They are very good, I've tried Canon stabilised binos and they are amazing - for hand-held observing that is. However, you get the very same excelent stable view if you use a support for standard binos, and you can get better optics for the same asking price :-)

Thanks. Guess they are more for hunting & military use where constant movement is needed for moving targets. Also not carrying a tripod about

They arrived today. Fantastic quality (bins and optics) much better than some Nikon ones I tried in Jessops for a similar price
Oh they're pretty. I have an old pair of compact Pentax 10x24 and they're great but very narrow field of view at only 6°

I have a pair of Helios Lightquest. I picked them up last week when I was buying an Obsession telescope from a seller and he also parted with his bins.

Duh, sorry. That means mine are wider FoV than your new ones? I assumed larger optics meant wider FoV.

The same. I thought so too but not sure what “Real field of view” means. I’m quite sure some binoculars will state a higher fov but won’t actually look as wide for whatever reason

Back
Top Bottom