BIOS Not recognising HDD's

Associate
Hi there,

I've just recently bought a new motherboard and HDD for my current computer and a new case to put it all in. I've installed all the components (apart from the new HDD, turned out my PSU only had one SATA connector) and the BIOS refuses to recognise the old HDD. I've tried connecting to different SATA ports on the motherboard, I've tried using the new HDD instead of the old one, and I'm using the same SATA cable that I was using with the old motherboard.

The motherboard and HDD are OEM so I haven't got any SATA drivers (I can't find any on the websites either) and I haven't got a Floppy drive to install them from anyway.

So, onto the specs, the motherboard is an ASUS A8N-E, the old HDD is a Maxtor 200GB SATA-150 and the new HDD is a Maxtor 250GB SATA-II.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. BIOS managed to recognise the old HDD once although when I came to format it and install XP the XP disc said it couldn't find any HDD's :(

Soldato
Thats because you need to install the sata drivers using a floppy disk on the windows install ( press F6 ).

If the bios can't see them and the windows install can't either i'm about 95% sure you need a floppy with the drivers.

Soldato
t31os said:
{snip}If the bios can't see them and the windows install can't either i'm about 95% sure you need a floppy with the drivers.
Half of that is true :mad:

If BIOS can't see the HD, make sure the ports are not disabled. If they are enabled then I'd suspect the mobo. Also, reset/clear CMOS. Then you can try & disbale SATA2 features (jumper?) on the Maxtor 250GB, though I'm sure (95% :D ) that the A8N-E supports SATA2 :cool:

Installing Windows is when & where you require the SATA drivers which I think you can find in here. PDF copy of manual also here :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Was just guessing according to the information he's given.

Personally i havnt needed to put drivers a floppy, the epox board i have just saw them without drivers.

Back
Top Bottom