BIOS upgrades and performance

Soldato
It's usually a bug-fix or an "upgrade" to support new devices (for example, a new CPU has been released), but you need to check whether the new BIOS is relevant to you. It might not be.
What I tend to do is to update the BIOS when I first get the motherboard or PC, and then just checkout new releases and only update to a new BIOS if there is something I think will benefit me.

Soldato
I've only ever done it to either fix bios bugs/performance issues or to extend my memory compatibility and overclockability. Usually for memory overclockability and compatibility as i tweak those a lot.

For the average user though, you really don't need to touch it if everything is working as it should.

Man of Honour
Does a BIOS upgrade offer a performance enhancement or just to fix issues ?
Makes sense that it is to fix an issue and that performance increases are rare, My X570 is on its original BIOS and it works fine.
Generally a BIOS update doesn't offer more performance, except for e.g. with AM5, AMD unlocked higher memory speeds. But, for AM4, you might well notice a performance improvement between the stock BIOS and the latest BIOS, as AMD made many improvements over that period.

Soldato
They make it so easy to update your BIOS these days, there's little reason not to. That said, I normally do every other release on my current board as updates are reasonably frequent anyway.

Back
Top Bottom