BIR Curry Anyone?

Associate
As most people in the UK do, I love nothing better than a good curry. British Indian Restaurant (BIR) was firmly part of British culture. I say "was" as most people have noticed BIR is sadly in decline. This man Steven Heap will explain in great detail the reasons why. Check his channel out, it is superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFMeH_qREE

Which leads me onto my next point, getting a decent BIR style curry these days can be tricky, depending on where you live. I think this in itself is driving more home chefs to dabble in the great unknown of BIR cooking. Please note BIR cooking is not to be confused with home style or authentic Indian cooking, which is also absolutely delicious.

I would like to talk a bit about BIR cooking, if anyone would like to share there thoughts. How did that base gravy go? Seasoned oil or not? What pans do you use? How many times did you get the rice wrong lol?

Man of Honour
There was a big thread on this a few years ago iirc. Can't see it right now but from what I remember the results people posted looked delicious.

I've dabbled in the past but I've got out of the habit of making curries (love them but there's so many other things I also want to make).

Associate
OP
There was a big thread on this a few years ago iirc. Can't see it right now but from what I remember the results people posted looked delicious.

I've dabbled in the past but I've got out of the habit of making curries (love them but there's so many other things I also want to make).

Certainly sounds interesting. There is quite a few good books out now on the topic. I have had mixed results myself.

To be honest if you are doing the whole thing from scratch, making your base, ginger/garlic paste, spice blends etc it can really take a long time.

It is worth though it when you know exactly what has went in to it and you can use the best quality ingredients.

Cool, made anything good recently?

Soldato
In he last year I've been taught how to make a proper Indian curry from scratch and it's amazing to taste a good curry at home.

Soldato
Not sure what one it is to be honest,the women who taught me is Indian but don't know what region she is from.
The curry involves...
Onions
Chopped tomatoes
Garlic
Ginger
Turmeric
Garam masala
Chillies
And I've made the curry with...
Beef
Chicken
Pork
Goat
I cook it without chillies for my daughter and it's so tasty.

Soldato
I'm always cooking BIR curries at home, I can't get enough of them. I do a really good vindaloo, madras and jalfrezi. Got the taste/heat combo just right, so the latter doesn't take away from the over all taste of the dish. I use seasoned oil as I find it gives that extra layer of flavour.

I use an aluminum pan, as nothing comes close to getting that caramelized goodness around the side of the pan. I do use a wooden spoon though, as I'm not a huge fan of scraping the pan.

I've posted a few pictures of my curries on here, i'll see if I can find them.

MiNyr7s.jpg

Spice Mix

Ingredients:

4 tbsp coriander powder (freshly ground seeds is best)
2 tbsp cumin powder (freshly ground seeds is best)
4 tbsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp Mild curry powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala

This will make for quite a few curries, so just mix and store.

Base

Ingredients:

- 600g Brown onions
- 25g Fresh garlic
- 15g Fresh ginger
- 40g Tomato paste
- 175g Fresh tomato
- 40g Carrot
- 40g Green capsicum (or red if you prefer)
- 20g Coriander stalks/roots
- 1 Heaped tsp curry powder (any decent mild or medium one will do)
- 3 Heaped tsp spice mix
- 1 Heaped tsp salt
- 125ml Vegetable oil (or sunflower or canola oil if you prefer)
- 1600ml Water

Method:

- Wash and coarsely chop all vegetables, tomatoes and coriander stalks/roots.
- Place all ingredients (except the coriander, spice mix and curry powder) in a large saucepan.
- Cover the pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Gently simmer for about 60 minutes (or until all the vegetables are soft).
- Add curry powder and spice mix.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Add coriander stalks and allow to cool.
- Blend to a soup-like consistency when sufficiently cool.
- Use immediately, store in a fridge (for 3 days max) or freeze in suitable airtight containers.

Curry

Ingredients:

- 300g Skinless chicken breast (chopped into approximately 1 inch cubes)
- 75 ml (4 - 5 tbsp) Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Fresh garlic (puréed)
- 0.5 tsp Fresh ginger (puréed)
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato paste (diluted to a purée with 5 tbsp water)
- 300ml Curry base
- 1 tsp Spice mix
- 1 tsp Curry powder (any decent mild or medium one, or paste, will do)
- 2 tsp Chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 0.25 tsp Milled black peppercorns
- 0.5 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp Sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp Vinegar (or to taste, again optional)
- Fresh chopped coriander (to taste)
- 1 Par-cooked potato (halved) - optional
- 1 tsp Fresh chillies (finely chopped) - optional

Method:

- Heat oil in suitable pan until almost smoking.
- Add garlic and ginger (and fresh chillies, if using) and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!).
- Remove from heat and add chilli powder, black pepper, spice mix, curry powder (or paste) and tandoori masala (if using).
- Immediately add tomato purée, stirring continually.
- Fry for 30 seconds or so, on high heat, with continuous stirring (do not burn!).
- Add a ladle of curry base and stir.
- Add chicken and stir in, coating it.
- Continue to add the curry base, a ladle at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens.
- Add salt, sugar and vinegar to taste and stir.
- Add par-cooked potato (if using).
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (5 to 10 minutes).
- Add fresh coriander to taste.
- Serve.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not sure what one it is to be honest,the women who taught me is Indian but don't know what region she is from.
The curry involves...
Onions
Chopped tomatoes
Garlic
Ginger
Turmeric
Garam masala
Chillies
And I've made the curry with...
Beef
Chicken
Pork
Goat
I cook it without chillies for my daughter and it's so tasty.

Awesome thanks for sharing. I am familiar with this style of curry. This is definitely more a home style curry and will be absolutely delicious. This simple amount of ingredients works well because you can taste each element. I have made something similar. I think a few key principles for me personally was to use a lot of oil, say 4 tbsp per 500g chicken. I feel this really gets those onions golden brown, a pinch of salt helps also. I think also using chicken on the bone would be a good way to go.

I know what you mean with children and spicy food. My younger sister is the exact same.

My partner doesn't like it too hot either but over time I have gradually turned the heat up. We are now at the stage were if it doesn't have 3 chilies in the curry, it's not hot enough.

Soldato
I tried this once. I did a big batch of base sauce and did a chicken masala (to keep the mrs happy)

It was great apart from I used 3 tablespoons of I think turmeric instead of 3 teaspoons, which gave the whole thing a strange metallic undertone that was hard to ignore :(

unfortunately it was in the base sauce, so I ended up just binning it all. It was a LOT of effort, so I've not had the motivation to try again, but I think perhaps now is the time, as it tasted pretty legit apart from that one issue.

I was shocked by the amount of vegetable oil and cream in it :O

Associate
I've fairly recently started cooking BIR curries, using recipes from Al's Kitchen on YouTube.

I had tried cooking curries before without using base gravy and it just wasn't anything like from a restaurant.

So I cooked a batch of base gravy, got my spices from an apparent decent source and use an aluminium pan and they're so much better and taste as good, if not better than from a restaurant.

I've only made Korma, Tikka Masala & Pasanda, both me and my wife aren't massive lovers of heat and we prefer creamy curries.

Caporegime
As most people in the UK do, I love nothing better than a good curry. British Indian Restaurant (BIR) was firmly part of British culture. I say "was" as most people have noticed BIR is sadly in decline. This man Steven Heap will explain in great detail the reasons why. Check his channel out, it is superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFMeH_qREE

Which leads me onto my next point, getting a decent BIR style curry these days can be tricky, depending on where you live. I think this in itself is driving more home chefs to dabble in the great unknown of BIR cooking. Please note BIR cooking is not to be confused with home style or authentic Indian cooking, which is also absolutely delicious.

I would like to talk a bit about BIR cooking, if anyone would like to share there thoughts. How did that base gravy go? Seasoned oil or not? What pans do you use? How many times did you get the rice wrong lol?

has that guy owned any indian restaurants? has he ever been to india?

where is his citation for 80% of restaurants in india and the UK are owned by Bangladeshi's? that is complete BS. anyway the video is 30 mins long and full of waffling so i stopped listening after that.

the reason for the decline is many;

all you can eat buffets. this is what the market wants. because it's cheap and all you can eat. buffets need a high turnover of seats to work so on quiet days you make huge losses. buffets have killed it. because if you don't do buffet you get phone calls all the time asking do you do a buffet. if you say no then no booking. the main market is buffets which is basically crap food. so if you cater to the masses. you end up losing the high end clientele who want a decent indian which hasn't been lying in a lukewarm waterbath for 5+ hours. because it's hard to do both correctly. your a la carte dishes suffer as you cater mainly for buffet. also when a lot of people see the prices on a la carte then see buffet for 9.99 they say we will just take the buffet. a la carte is where the real money is.

there is also another factor. 80% of kitchen staff 10 years ago and before that were all illegal. there has been a huge crackdown on this in the past 10 years. if you are caught now you get fined like 20K per illegal worker. so now you need to employ british chefs. simply none of which are willing to work for the wages so then wages had to increase. also there simply isn't enough british indian chefs to cater for all the british indian restaurants. india has 1 billion indians in it. the UK maybe like what 0.5 million if even that? of which a handful will be chefs. also it's usually 99% of the time male chefs. mainly due to how backwards india is and this progresses through into indian business's. so you can count out most females from taking up a job in the kitchen even though they will be 99% of the time doing the authentic indian cooking at home. so increase in wage bill, lack of quality chef's due to crackdown on illegals.

also the lack of authenticity. BIR is an abomination. it's disgusting and quite frankly easy to replicate by people with little cooking skills. the only part which isn't is the tandoor oven. where the naan's are made. you can easily make a tikka on a grill, bbq, etc now. however naan can only be done right with a tandoor or similar hot stone oven. if you tried proper authentic curries you would realise how much more tastier they are. people would then be willing to pay for this as it's hard to replicate. however they ruined it for themselves going for the bland BIR market with your kormas, chasni's and tikka masalas. they have all been replicated now by the likes of asda, etc.

these 3 IMO have been the biggest factors. there are others. the recession. people do more shopping online so they don't go out as much any more, whereas before they may have stopped after a shopping spree to have a meal they don't go out at all. peoples disposable income is less, etc.

to cook a proper indian needs fresh spices. not the big bags of crap you buy in shops these days. it's also a lot more than just garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder. coriander seed, jeera, mustard seeds, plus many many more. theres up to 30 different ones you could use stuff like methi, cardamom, clove, cassia bark, fenugreek, saffron, etc. my mother law makes all hers fresh from the raw ingredients. using a coffee been grinder to grind them up. it's 100 times better than the crap you get in the shops.

Soldato
Associate
I'm always cooking BIR curries at home, I can't get enough of them. I do a really good vindaloo, madras and jalfrezi. Got the taste/heat combo just right, so the latter doesn't take away from the over all taste of the dish. I use seasoned oil as I find it gives that extra layer of flavour.

I use an aluminum pan, as nothing comes close to getting that caramelized goodness around the side of the pan. I do use a wooden spoon though, as I'm not a huge fan of scraping the pan.

MiNyr7s.jpg

Spice Mix

Ingredients:

4 tbsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp Mild curry powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala

Base

Ingredients:

- 600g Brown onions
- 25g Fresh garlic
- 15g Fresh ginger
- 40g Tomato paste
- 175g Fresh tomato
- 40g Carrot
- 3 Heaped tsp spice mix
- 1 Heaped tsp salt
- 1600ml Water

Method:

- Place all ingredients (except the coriander, spice mix and curry powder) in a large saucepan.
- Use immediately, store in a fridge (for 3 days max) or freeze in suitable airtight containers.

Curry

Ingredients:

- 300ml Curry base
- 1 tsp Spice mix

Method:

- Add garlic and ginger (and fresh chillies, if using) and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!).
- Remove from heat and add chilli powder, black pepper, spice mix, curry powder (or paste) and tandoori masala (if using).
- Fry for 30 seconds or so, on high heat, with continuous stirring (do not burn!).
- Continue to add the curry base, a ladle at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens.
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (5 to 10 minutes).
- Serve.
How long did that take to make in total? looks amazing mate

Soldato
After the little prep, which isn't all that much, obviously excluding the base gravy, but that is batched cooked into 300ml containers and frozen. So about 10 minutes prep 10 minutes cook.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

MiNyr7s.jpg

Spice Mix

Ingredients:

4 tbsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp Mild curry powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala

Base

Ingredients:

- 600g Brown onions
- 25g Fresh garlic
- 15g Fresh ginger
- 40g Tomato paste
- 175g Fresh tomato
- 40g Carrot
- 3 Heaped tsp spice mix
- 1 Heaped tsp salt
- 1600ml Water

Method:

Curry

Ingredients:

- 300ml Curry base
- 1 tsp Spice mix

Method:

- Serve.

So where did you buy this curry from, lol? Honestly looks amazing, lovely color and the oil floats are a good sign for me.

You mentioned that you use a seasoned oil, although did you mention how you achieve this? Fry the onion bhajis route?

I don't use aluminum pans, yet!!!! I found them hard to get a hold of so I settled for stainless steel pan that has an aluminum filling. The only thing I have noticed is that the pan is a little too heavy to throw about but my results have been decent.

Your base and mix powder looks good, I may well try out one day.

Thanks for sharing.
Anyone who likes to cook BIR curries needs this book

https://www.worldofbooks.com/the-mo...zwE36zavfWupngKDpl5JY4e8x8axZa1BoC2LwQAvD_BwE

I have it and the recipes are spot on. The chicken tikka recipe, done on the barbie, is exquisite. For the price of it, you need this book in your life. Gives you recipes for all the spice mixes and gravies too.

Thanks for the tip.

The books I have to date are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Tha...8&qid=1529430821&sr=8-3&keywords=julian+voigt

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Tha...8&qid=1529430821&sr=8-2&keywords=julian+voigt

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-In...TF8&qid=1529430857&sr=1-4&keywords=dan+toombs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Indian-Coo...id=1529430879&sr=1-6&keywords=indian+cookbook

I tried this once. I did a big batch of base sauce and did a chicken masala (to keep the mrs happy)

It was great apart from I used 3 tablespoons of I think turmeric instead of 3 teaspoons, which gave the whole thing a strange metallic undertone that was hard to ignore :(

unfortunately it was in the base sauce, so I ended up just binning it all. It was a LOT of effort, so I've not had the motivation to try again, but I think perhaps now is the time, as it tasted pretty legit apart from that one issue.

I was shocked by the amount of vegetable oil and cream in it :O

Tumeric is a bad one to overdo, it will ruin the curry. I hope you give it another go.

BIR cooking does use a lot of oil. It make sense though when you analyse the food science.
I've fairly recently started cooking BIR curries, using recipes from Al's Kitchen on YouTube.

I had tried cooking curries before without using base gravy and it just wasn't anything like from a restaurant.

So I cooked a batch of base gravy, got my spices from an apparent decent source and use an aluminium pan and they're so much better and taste as good, if not better than from a restaurant.

I've only made Korma, Tikka Masala & Pasanda, both me and my wife aren't massive lovers of heat and we prefer creamy curries.

I am glad you have had some success, here are a few other channels I would strongly recommend

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcC3gqh4wEnHnHno4I8urmg

https://www.youtube.com/user/MistyRicardo

https://www.youtube.com/user/leviteish

Associate
OP
has that guy owned any indian restaurants? has he ever been to india?

where is his citation for 80% of restaurants in india and the UK are owned by Bangladeshi's? that is complete BS. anyway the video is 30 mins long and full of waffling so i stopped listening after that.

the reason for the decline is many;

all you can eat buffets. this is what the market wants. because it's cheap and all you can eat. buffets need a high turnover of seats to work so on quiet days you make huge losses. buffets have killed it. because if you don't do buffet you get phone calls all the time asking do you do a buffet. if you say no then no booking. the main market is buffets which is basically crap food. so if you cater to the masses. you end up losing the high end clientele who want a decent indian which hasn't been lying in a lukewarm waterbath for 5+ hours. because it's hard to do both correctly. your a la carte dishes suffer as you cater mainly for buffet. also when a lot of people see the prices on a la carte then see buffet for 9.99 they say we will just take the buffet. a la carte is where the real money is.

there is also another factor. 80% of kitchen staff 10 years ago and before that were all illegal. there has been a huge crackdown on this in the past 10 years. if you are caught now you get fined like 20K per illegal worker. so now you need to employ british chefs. simply none of which are willing to work for the wages so then wages had to increase. also there simply isn't enough british indian chefs to cater for all the british indian restaurants. india has 1 billion indians in it. the UK maybe like what 0.5 million if even that? of which a handful will be chefs. also it's usually 99% of the time male chefs. mainly due to how backwards india is and this progresses through into indian business's. so you can count out most females from taking up a job in the kitchen even though they will be 99% of the time doing the authentic indian cooking at home. so increase in wage bill, lack of quality chef's due to crackdown on illegals.

also the lack of authenticity. BIR is an abomination. it's disgusting and quite frankly easy to replicate by people with little cooking skills. the only part which isn't is the tandoor oven. where the naan's are made. you can easily make a tikka on a grill, bbq, etc now. however naan can only be done right with a tandoor or similar hot stone oven. if you tried proper authentic curries you would realise how much more tastier they are. people would then be willing to pay for this as it's hard to replicate. however they ruined it for themselves going for the bland BIR market with your kormas, chasni's and tikka masalas. they have all been replicated now by the likes of asda, etc.

these 3 IMO have been the biggest factors. there are others. the recession. people do more shopping online so they don't go out as much any more, whereas before they may have stopped after a shopping spree to have a meal they don't go out at all. peoples disposable income is less, etc.

to cook a proper indian needs fresh spices. not the big bags of crap you buy in shops these days. it's also a lot more than just garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder. coriander seed, jeera, mustard seeds, plus many many more. theres up to 30 different ones you could use stuff like methi, cardamom, clove, cassia bark, fenugreek, saffron, etc. my mother law makes all hers fresh from the raw ingredients. using a coffee been grinder to grind them up. it's 100 times better than the crap you get in the shops.

He worked in one. I am not sure if he lived in India but I am sure he lived in Asia for some time, how long? Not sure.

I am not sure where he is getting his information from and I have no information to support or deny that claim.

I think cheap food has always been available to the customer, if its good quality or not. I am not sure if BIR restaurants can use this one as surely all restaurants will have been affected by this then? If the food is good and well priced customers will come. Will it be packed every night, who knows?? But if you have a theory or principle and you believe in it and follow then success must be possible.

Steven touched on this point in the video so it's disapointing you didn't give it a try.

I disagree with your comment about BIR being disgusting, just my opinion. If BIR is done right and care is taken, BIR can be one the best restaurant experiences around, again just my opinion. I also do not agree that no skill is involved. I agree that a restaurant that is happy throwing out any old rubbish because they believe the dumb customer will not know the difference may not use much skill, if any. This style of restaurant may survive in a small community for many years without competition. I am sure this happens all over the country. This is only one side of the coin though, there are plenty of restaurant's out there that are prepared to work hard and make special food for their customers. The skill involved is these places is breathtaking.

So what makes you think BIR restaurants don't use fresh spices and all the other spices that you have mentioned?

My point in summary is not all places are the same. Some restaurants have done nothing to change and complain and look for excuses when their business no longer takes the profits it used to. There are other restaurants though that have adopted and moved forward with the times, these are the places that get my respect.

Last edited:
Caporegime
He worked in one. I am not sure if he lived in India but I am sure he lived in Asia for some time, how long? Not sure.

I am not sure where he is getting his information from and I have no information to support or deny that claim.

I think cheap food has always been available to the customer, if its good quality or not. I am not sure if BIR restaurants can use this one as surely all restaurants will have been affected by this then? If the food is good and well priced customers will come. Will it be packed every night, who knows?? But if you have a theory or principle and you believe in it and follow then success must be possible.

Steven touched on this point in the video so it's disapointing you didn't give it a try.

I disagree with your comment about BIR being disgusting, just my opinion. If BIR is done right and care is taken, BIR can be one the best restaurant experiences around, again just my opinion. I also do not agree that no skill is involved. I agree that a restaurant that is happy throwing out any old rubbish because they believe the dumb customer will not know the difference may not use much skill, if any. This style of restaurant may survive in a small community for many years without competition. I am sure this happens all over the country. This is only one side of the coin though, there are plenty of restaurant's out there that are prepared to work hard and make special food for their customers. The skill involved is these places is breathtaking.

So what makes you think BIR restaurants don't use fresh spices and all the other spices that you have mentioned?

My point in summary is not all places are the same. Some restaurants have done nothing to change and complain and look for excuses when their business no longer takes the profits it used to. There are other restaurants though that have adopted and moved forward with the times, these are the places that get my respect.

I just noticed you are in Glasgow.

What places would you say are decent?

I can name 2 in the city centre, 2 in the south side and 1 in East Dunbartonshire.

Problem is consistency. I have been to one in the city centre 4 times within say 6 months and had 2 outstanding meals and 2 I wouldn't have bothered going in for. But I have very high standards.

As for fresh spices most places if not all will simply just buy in from a wholesaler. its a lot of work and there is no way they would want to do that week in week out when they can grab a 2kg bag from their suppliers.

Back
Top Bottom