BIR Curry Anyone?

Associate
OP
Went to the market and got the rest of the spices and supplies i was missing.
Made a batch of garlic and ginger and put it in the freezer in 2tbsp portions. Tomorrow i will make a batch of Garam Masala and Mixed Powder.

Then maybe Monday will be having a go at Chicken Jalfrezi.

Only thing i couldn't find was dried methi, but i got some fresh instead.

Get any luck with the curry?

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
I've done a ton of research into BIR Naan, made a load of recipes from other websites that claim to be Naan... bbc etc and they've all failed.

If you're doing home BIR, and want a top naan then this is your only video (guys voice is amusing but stay with it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nypVcrfz6dk

I also like this guys channel. I feel this is closer to what I am looking for from my curries. He certainly has the inside knowledge on his side. I was a bit annoyed when he showed the recipe for his base gravy and then added "something" that he didn't explain what it was.

I think in general to get that flavour we are looking for its a combination of certain things all added together. I think seasoned oil play's a big part in the flavour and of course the base. Then I think technique is massive. If you watch you few videos on youtube of inside Indian restaurants you can see a couple of things that they are doing. They always seem to cook on aggressively high heat which in turns producing the "flaming" affect in which the oil catches fire. This creates the smokey taste you get from some BIR curries, but also the high heat really helps to caramelize the ingredients creating the intense flavour required.

Soldato
Having done a bit more reading i think one thing i missed was the initial caramelisation of the first ladle full of base sauce to get that deep colour. Also i did the small/fast batch of base sauce so im going to tweak that next time.
I will make the larger batch of base sauce but i think i will first roast the veg and peppers to get some extra flavour and sweetness out of them, then simmer it all together.

Soldato
Absolutely love BIR Curry, garlic chilli chicken is my favourite, the recipe from WizzFizz looks amazing! Need to try that! The only thing is I am so scared of cooking chicken, pathetic really I know, I always tend to over-cook it as I worry about it not being cooked through. So I tend to do beef curries more.

Associate
OP
Having done a bit more reading i think one thing i missed was the initial caramelisation of the first ladle full of base sauce to get that deep colour. Also i did the small/fast batch of base sauce so im going to tweak that next time.
I will make the larger batch of base sauce but i think i will first roast the veg and peppers to get some extra flavour and sweetness out of them, then simmer it all together.

Like I mentioned before, seasoned oil might be one of the components that is stopping you getting the taste you want. You could do that but just remember the roasting affect is achieved by using high heat with aluminium pans and plenty of scraping.

Absolutely love BIR Curry, garlic chilli chicken is my favourite, the recipe from WizzFizz looks amazing! Need to try that! The only thing is I am so scared of cooking chicken, pathetic really I know, I always tend to over-cook it as I worry about it not being cooked through. So I tend to do beef curries more.

Well most takeaways will pre cook there chicken for curries for very reason you just said, no time to be worrying about if chicken is cooked through and letting it simmer lovingly in the sauce, BEFORE anyone says anything about "this is the real way to do a curry" Yes I know, but what were are talking about here is BIR.

I have had great results with pre cooked chicken, my fav method is to marinate the chicken in yoghurt, spices and garlic/ginger, then cook on highest heat in the oven. Fancy restaurants will cook there chicken in the tandoor then add that to the curry.

Other places will boil the chicken in oil, gravy and spices. I have also tried this method and have had good results with this also.

Another note on chicken, its not a good idea to simmer chicken breast in tomato based sauces, it goes rubbery, something to do with the acid, chicken on the bone is much better for this.

Soldato
I have had great results with pre cooked chicken, my fav method is to marinate the chicken in yoghurt, spices and garlic/ginger, then cook on highest heat in the oven. Fancy restaurants will cook there chicken in the tandoor then add that to the curry.

That sounds a good idea, when you say highest heat, I think our oven goes to 250 degrees C, how hot do you go and how long do you leave it to cook for (roughly) ?

Definitely agree about marinating!

Associate

I do my base sauce in a pressure cooker, cooking time is 30/40 minutes !

Soldato
I have read about the aluminium pan thing. But any old pan that can catch is all that's needed, going to try mine in a cast iron enamel pan next time get the sauce to catch on that.
I did use seasoned oil, previously deep fried onion bhaji in it.
Definitely give pre cooking the chicken a go as well in a stock and then keep that to add back as well.

Associate
OP
Forget about any books off Amazon.

http://bircurries.co.uk/forum/

This is all you need.

Admins, you can lock the thread now.

There seems to be a wealth of information available here. BIR curry is a bit like baking though everyone will have there own method and beliefs.

I hope to do a simple butter chicken this week which will take on any Indian restaurant. I will post the recipe and pictures this week.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom