black screen and cursor

Associate
Hey guys, basically ive got a pc running windows 7 64bit it was in the lounge i went to move it so i unplugged it and moved it, im not completely sure but the pc may have been in stand by mode when i unplugged the power etc.

So i then reconnected to a pc monitor it was hooked to a tv, and now when ever i turn the pc on it gives me two options run start up repair or start normally as windows did not load up properly. if i choose normal start up i get a black screen with the cursor i cannot do anything else. if i do start up repair it will eventually say it cannot fix the fault, i have tried the following to no avail any help would be appreciated as ive got a lot of uni work to be getting on with!!

so far i have:

-re seated ram and graphics card
-forced it to run in safe mode by going through command prompt at the start
up repair options
-looked through the bio settings for anything unusual

my specs are q9650, 8bg xms2 gtx 560ti 2gig 250gig hitachi hdd

Associate
OP
if it is i would say a failed update.
try boot up in safe mode, if that fails start up repair then system restore.

ive tried a system restore had two points to choose from chose the 31st of october and still does the same thing

Soldato
I think normally a black screen with blinking underscore is to do with the MBR. I would boot into a Windows and try automatic repair.

If that doesn't work, try the bootrec commands from the CMD inside the disk.

Bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Associate
OP
I think normally a black screen with blinking underscore is to do with the MBR. I would boot into a Windows and try automatic repair.

If that doesn't work, try the bootrec commands from the CMD inside the disk.

Bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

hi thanks for the reply, it doesnt have a blinking underscore just a crsor which i can move should i try the bootrec.exe /fixboot comand?

Soldato
Sorry, I didn't realise it was a cursor. Those commands normally fix the PC if it can't find the correct partition to boot from.

From the sounds of yours, it finds the right place to boot from, its just not getting very far.

I would say it is worth booting into a windows Disk and running an autorepair. Otherwise there may be some other commands like chkdsk or SFC to run to see if you can get past that screen.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I had something similar before and it was definitely the MBR. A repair didn't resolve it, so I opted for a clean install.

If you have any issues with formatting your disk (this seems to happen to me with my SSD and boot sector problems) you may need to use something like GParted to format it if CMD doesn't let you.

Just to point out the obvious: make sure your video cables, etc. are properly plugged in.

Back
Top Bottom