• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Soldato
A bigger cooler makes a card look more premium and powerful than it actually is which in turn helps to promote the higher price tag. The perfect example is the overpriced 4080 using a 4090 cooler despite the card using less power than a 3080 which never shared the same cooler as a 3090 despite is being closer in power and performance.
3090 had VRAM on the back too so did need the better cooler as we saw because of the VRAM heat issues on some cooler designs, FE was noted to have pretty poor heat issues funny enough and some AIB models at the time due to poor back plates or thermal pads not working well or even the wrong size or leaked oil after a while from the thermal pads.

3080 10GB,12GB and Ti had VRAM on the front side only so they used the same 3080 cooler. The 4080 doesn't need the 4090 cooler at all and was just a way to oversell a 4080 and make it look better value but reality was they didn't need to invest in a different smaller cooler for it and just used the same 4090 cooler that was overkill for such a GPU.

The 4090 you can argue doesn't need such a large cooler too and could have been slightly smaller too, but larger and heavier means better quality and they can over price them then.

Last edited:
Associate
A bigger cooler makes a card look more premium and powerful than it actually is which in turn helps to promote the higher price tag. The perfect example is the overpriced 4080 using a 4090 cooler despite the card using less power than a 3080 which never shared the same cooler as a 3090 despite is being closer in power and performance.
True, this cooler is massively overengineered. But I do love load temperatures of 55 Celsius when the thing is at full chat, has taken around 7 Celsius off the CPU's load temps as well.

Associate
How has a better cooler on a gpu helped cpu temps?
Because the 3080 FE was much shorter and the hot air it exhausted upwards was half obscured by the Dark Rock Pro 4. With this, it's far bigger size means the 4080's exhaust fan is further out and therefore almost all of it isn't blowing directly against the heatsink fins. Used to get around 75 Celsius on Cinebench @ 4.5Ghz all core. That's now down to between 68 and 70 Celsius.

The 3080 was blowing more already warm air against the CPU heatsink fins with its shorter length, so the bigger size of the 4080 actually works well for me as most of the exhaust fan is exposed and not blowing against the heatsink fins.

EZZzY91.jpg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

Blackwell Ultra next year, Rubin in 2026, Rubin Ultra in 2027.

Looks like Rubin, given the name, will be what brings the true next gen gains to game graphics and performance. I suspect that Rubin will use new NV tech that is only found on Rubin cards. RTX 50 to share the same tech with RTX 40 series as expected with nothing new in the way of tech, just more speed.

Seems maybe that there won't be too much of a reason for higher end 40 series gamers to upgrade to 50 series and wait for Rubin.... Maybe.

Man of Honour
Because the 3080 FE was much shorter and the hot air it exhausted upwards was half obscured by the Dark Rock Pro 4.

Had a similar issue with the 3070FE on my old build - had to strap a faster fan on the CPU heatsink instead of running it mostly passive :(

Last edited:
Soldato

Looks like Rubin, given the name, will be what brings the true next gen gains to game graphics and performance. I suspect that Rubin will use new NV tech that is only found on Rubin cards. RTX 50 to share the same tech with RTX 40 series as expected with nothing new in the way of tech, just more speed.

Seems maybe that there won't be too much of a reason for higher end 40 series gamers to upgrade to 50 series and wait for Rubin.... Maybe.
Interesting, if true then I might just skip my series upgrade and wait…. But it will be hard to resist FOMOing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Justifying why you won't have the latest and greatest tech no more already I see :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
There isn't a single game out now or coming out in the next year or two that won't run at over 100fps on a 4090 at 3440x1440 (unless some dev magics out an engine that goes beyond Unreal 5 lol) so there's no justification other than common sense, do I need more fps than that? No :p

By the time Rubin comes out we will all be on 4K ultrawides that are at least 240Hz, at which point yes the desire to leverage over 144fps at 4K would be there.

Last edited:
Associate
leakers are suggesting that pricing will be maintained as nvidia is using an older process node but then this:

saupload_0ab496fe92b228c64c2b6b5d5fd9795a.png

edit: and someone's got to pay for lost sales opportunities in China as well

Last edited:
Associate
nvidia's going in the opposite direction..5080 is going to be weaker than previously assumed, more like 5070 being rebadged as the 5080 (source: kopite7kimi)
also amd is not keen on competing in the xx80 tier

and all that.. unless leather jacket man decides to take option 3: "to all my ampere gamer friends, its safe to upgrade now"

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It does seem that way, a repeat of the 40 series, now with the 50 series, with the only true flagship 50 being the 5090, and at a price premium of course because why not :D

Back
Top Bottom