Bladerunner 2 (Spoilers!)

Don
Aye, I thought it was brilliant misdirection as it cements the idea that not only is it his real memory, but as a consequence he has essentially had his life up to that point stolen from him somehow.

Yet she has pretty much literally told him it's her memory, but it's easy to overlook her tears, because she herself to a certain degree will lack the life experiences that make replicants prone to emotional instability.

Superb.

Soldato
Where was the "home" Deckard was being transported too at the end before K flies in to save the day? Off world colony because he's a replicant and illegal on earth? :p

Associate
Where was the "home" Deckard was being transported too at the end before K flies in to save the day? Off world colony because he's a replicant and illegal on earth? :p

Suggested perhaps, but I think Luv may be referring to her home off world?

Has anyone else come across the multiple Luv theory at all? Basically there are two versions of Luv, one that dresses in black and has a pony tail and the other that has her hair in a bun and dresses in white. The 'white' Luv is shown at the Wallace HQ archive hall, piloting the drone that saves K and witnesses Wallace kill the female replicant. The 'black' Luv seems to do the dirty work such as klling Coco, Joshi and Rachael.

Not sure if I subscribe to this one, but it's certainly a great theory. I am going to watch the film for a third time tomorrow so I will watch out for this, I'll also see if any other of the characters (that aren't holograms) change their attire during the film!

Don
That wasnt in the end credits by any chance? I didn't stick around for those.
No it's towards the end of the film, apologies though, it's the resistance leader woman that tells him, not Deckard (Deckard himself won't actually have known what happened to her).

^^^
Edit:- I took it to mean it was her home was offworld rather than anything specifically to do with Deckard but from second viewing Gaff makes two specific references to Deckard being a replicant as well "he had something on his eyes" and "he's retired".

I don't buy the two versions of Luv, regardless of clothing she does some pretty nasty stuff but I would need to watch it again.

Watched it again in 2D and picked up on details in the picture that weren't clear in 3D. Plus I heard a bit more, not sat next to a mouth breather crunching on snacks and putting on a cagoule mid way through.

Last edited:
Soldato
/\/\/\ I'm going to have to watch this again. The film @ 2 3/4 hours long with half hour of ads & trailers in the Cinema meant my attention span had gone a bit off near the end. I'll wait for the Blu-ray.
Feeling a bit nostalgic I watched the original theatrical cut of the first one last night (the one with the harrison ford voiceover) I know some people will think I should go to hell for doing so. I was 16 when it was first released at the Cinema, I never got round to seeing it back then as the World cup was on, I still had school exams to do & I was helping my folks move house. I still regret not doing so to this day.

Permabanned
Saw it again last night. Just a brilliant piece of film making from start to finish. That last half hour is astounding.

I think Luv might be one of my favourite antagonists in movie history, certainly in my top 3. Sylvia Hoeks performance is just incredible, completely owns every scene she's in. This second viewing gave me a chance to review my theory on her character and I think it stands up. I honestly think that Wallace saw the dangers of keeping a replicant that's capable of 'true' emotions and therefore programmed her without any. She's essentially a psychopath, completely incapable of empathy. The only thing that drives her is her insatiable desire to please Wallace.

I can't say I really buy into the theory that she's one of two. I just don't think it adds anything to the narrative.

Caporegime
I think Luv might be one of my favourite antagonists in movie history, certainly in my top 3. Sylvia Hoeks performance is just incredible, completely owns every scene she's in. This second viewing gave me a chance to review my theory on her character and I think it stands up. I honestly think that Wallace saw the dangers of keeping a replicant that's capable of 'true' emotions and therefore programmed her without any. She's essentially a psychopath, completely incapable of empathy. The only thing that drives her is her insatiable desire to please Wallace.

I started watching this 10 minutes ago

Associate
I'm disappointed that this seems to have disappeared from IMAX screens. Didn't it creep back up to no.1 on the box office?

Last edited:
Associate
Saw this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. It's always good to see a film where there are elements of the story that aren't just served to you on a plate and that you may actually have to think about. As another poster said above I don't even get some of the connections that other people mention. Loved the cinematography in this too. Best film I've seen this year.

Soldato
Caught in while I was away in Sweden the other week. Brilliant film, I wish every sequel to a classic was as good.

The thing I like the most is the ambiguity regarding the replicant's level of sentience and capacity for emotions. Gosling plays it totally robotic throughout except the scenes with his e-girlfriend and you're left to wonder about what is 'real' emotion and what is just programmed responses.

Great that they kept the look and feel of the original but really made it different with the outdoor scenes and filling out the Blackout information.

Associate
Watched it a third time. I really can't get over how damn near perfect it is. I would happily watch it another time, though I think I'll wait for the Blu Ray now.

Back
Top Bottom