Bloodhound SSC enters build phase

Caporegime
So the Brits are going to produce something technically amazing and yet again there's a bunch of internet superheroes moaning and whinging because it doesn't meet their stringent definitions and standards.

No wonder we don't bother making anything good any more.

correct me if im wrong, but arent we debating the merits of the record itself

not moaning that the people doing it are doing it wrong.

Caporegime
I do agree with rypt and the like, this isnt a proper 'car' record. Car records should be wheel driven.

That is not to take away however the credit for this project. To build a vehicle to travel at 1000mph on the ground is no mean feat, and deserves all the respect it gets. I cant wait for this to happen, although if it does, your looking at 10 years atleast I would say.

But this is an argument against the name given to a catagory of vehicle used, not to the attempt itself. But its an argument that has always raged since the first person to ever set a record powering the car not by the wheels, so isnt new, or likely to die down any time soon.

Out of interest, what is the current wheel driven record, and are there any plans on the cards for anyone to challenge it?

Man of Honour
Out of interest, what is the current wheel driven record, and are there any plans on the cards for anyone to challenge it?

Which one? There's many.

The top one was set in 2001 @ 470mph over the flying mile. But it was a jet engine powering it, so I guess thats 'not a car'

So that would make it 1991, with The Spirit of '76 with a speed over the mile of 410mph - Supercharged Hemi - but that ran on seriously exotic fuels... So 'not a car'

Or, Goldenrod in 1965 with 409mph with unsupercharged Hemi's - 4 of them... Hmmm, that makes it 'not a car' too...

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Did you guys get tasered in your imaginations balls or something?

Anyway, I'm not way suitable but I'd definitely drive such a machine.

Caporegime
Which one? There's many.

The top one was set in 2001 @ 470mph over the flying mile. But it was a jet engine powering it, so I guess thats 'not a car'

So that would make it 1991, with The Spirit of '76 with a speed over the mile of 410mph - Supercharged Hemi - but that ran on seriously exotic fuels... So 'not a car'

Or, Goldenrod in 1965 with 409mph with unsupercharged Hemi's - 4 of them... Hmmm, that makes it 'not a car' too...

Were they wheel driven... yes.

Did I ask about wheel driven records... Yes.

So all your points you try to make about NOT fitting my critera in an attempt to make yourself look clever have actually turned out to be points that DO fit my criteria, in tern making you look a bit of a troll.

Well done, have a cookie.

For those of you willing to answer the question asked, rather than make up your own question and then get glee out of proving it wrong, does anyone have any plans to challenge the wheel driven record? I would assume it would be America, as they seem to love this stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well done Flibster, way to mis-interpret the argument we were having with your reply about the record.

All Skeeter wanted to know is the fastest vehicle which is driven by rotating tyres on tarmac (rather than jet propulsion where the wheels are there just to support the weight of the car and act as a rudder).

Soldato
I always wondered, if you got a fighter jet and went full throttle with the landing gear down, would that not achieve the land speed record? I'd expect the landing gear to only be designed for <150-250mph or so, but if you upgraded that would there be anything else stopping you?

Soldato
I always wondered, if you got a fighter jet and went full throttle with the landing gear down, would that not achieve the land speed record? I'd expect the landing gear to only be designed for <150-250mph or so, but if you upgraded that would there be anything else stopping you?

The plane trying to take off, the fact that if you were to try to force it into the ground it would go slower due to not being designed for optimum speed in that aerodynamic configuration, the fact that it would also be stupidly unstable due to a plane being designed for dogfights.

Caporegime

Surely upgrading the landing gear to support the vehicle on the ground at 1000mph is what this record is actually trying to do anyway? Effectively this car is a jet plane that doesnt take off, so what you have described is pretty much exactly what they are doing.

So based on that, im guessing its not a simple task, lol. How peed would they be after 10 years if the RAF came along and went "oh, we stuck some extra girders on the landing gear of this Typhoon, we beat you, har har"

Man of Honour
Done some reading - it appears that the true land speed record for a car was set in 2002 at a respectable 217mph in a seriously exotic....

Dodge Dakota

Ugh...

Associate

Most fighter jets will struggle to do much more than this speed at ground level. The Typhoon which this engine has come from only does ~1550mph at ~35,000 feet where the air is a lot thinner. In fact Wikipedia states at sea level the Typhoon's stop speed is around 900mph, significantly less than the record attempt they are trying!

Seems blooming dangerous using a rocket though. How controllable are they? Can they be switched off in an instant in the case of a wheel failure? I wonder if they will need to refill it to do the return leg.

Also, a 12 mile course? Isn't that ridiculously small? At 1000mph this thing will be doing over 16.5 miles/minute. So it will have what, around 90 seconds to reach 1000mph? That sounds very challenging indeed! Good luck to them.

Soldato
The plane trying to take off, the fact that if you were to try to force it into the ground it would go slower due to not being designed for optimum speed in that aerodynamic configuration, the fact that it would also be stupidly unstable due to a plane being designed for dogfights.

Surely upgrading the landing gear to support the vehicle on the ground at 1000mph is what this record is actually trying to do anyway? Effectively this car is a jet plane that doesnt take off, so what you have described is pretty much exactly what they are doing.

So based on that, im guessing its not a simple task, lol. How peed would they be after 10 years if the RAF came along and went "oh, we stuck some extra girders on the landing gear of this Typhoon, we beat you, har har"
Sounds about right, I guessed it wouldn't be as simple as I thought :p

Done some reading - it appears that the true land speed record for a car was set in 2002 at a respectable 217mph in a seriously exotic....

Dodge Dakota

Ugh...
That's the record for a pick up isnt it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1t6S737Cs There's a video of a car doing 253mph. Not official of course, but I'd say it was a car :p

Man of Honour
Seems blooming dangerous using a rocket though. How controllable are they? Can they be switched off in an instant in the case of a wheel failure? I wonder if they will need to refill it to do the return leg.

It's controllable. It's on or off. With a 800bhp V12 race engine as a fuel pump providing the rocket engine with it's requirements. :D

They will have to completely refuel the car at the end of it's first run during the 1 hour turnaround phase. Why carry more weight than you need?

Also, a 12 mile course? Isn't that rediculously small? At 1000mph this thing will be doing over 16.5 miles/minute. So it will have what, around 90 seconds to reach 1000mph? That sounds very challenging indeed! Good luck to them.

It is quite small - but at 12 mile planned course allows for overshoots which is important.

Still, flying mile in 3.6 seconds and then:
1000 mph: close the throttle – deceleration rate is 3’g’ initially, then falls off rapidly
800 mph: start to deploy the airbrake, gradually increasing its area to try and maintain 3’g’ deceleration through the transonic region (800 down to 650 mph)
Below 600 mph: deploy a ‘chute to increase the deceleration rate back up to 3’g’.
Below 400 mph: deploy a second ‘chute if required.
Below 250 mph: apply the wheel brakes as required to stop at the end of the track, ready for the turn round.

Apparently will take a bit less than 4.5 miles to stop the car. Wonder what the distance covered during the reaction time at 1000mph is? Hmmm - one for the Highway Code. ;)

0-1000mph in 4.5 miles - measured mile - 1000mph-0 in 4.5 miles - 2 miles available for overrun.

Man of Honour
That's the record for a pick up isnt it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1t6S737Cs There's a video of a car doing 253mph. Not official of course, but I'd say it was a car :p

Wasn't measured by the FIA *or other approved organisation* over a flying mile or a kilometre on a flat course, in both directions within 1 hour. Not a land speed record.

Top speed runs don't count at all. Beauty of the LSR's - both directions in 1 hour.

Caporegime
Is sound a constant? Or will it go quiet at 1000mph as the noise from the engines behind the driver cannot get to the driver as he is traveling faster than the sound would....?

Back
Top Bottom