1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

Blue arrows on some files/shortcuts

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by slipd, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:21 PM.

1. slipd

Mobster

Hi guys,

Just updated an old 32 bit Windows 10 machine and several of my desktop shortcuts: Avira, Teamviewer etc. have these litle blue arrow on them, top right corner... see below.

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. d_brennen

Capodecina

It's supposed to indicate a compressed NTFS file or folder. Not sure why shortcut icons have it though. Are they .lnk file extension?

3. slipd

Mobster

Thanks for the reply! Digging a bit deeper, it appears more widespread than first thought. Literally all my folders, Windows, Users etc. are displaying it.

I didn't intentionally set this, if there a global override or anything?

4. Double07

Hitman

Ive just noticed quite a few of my files have this. I never noticed until I read this post and I don't know if they were previously, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhh :)

5. MonkeyBasher

Gangster

Are the little blue icons linked to 7zip?

It could also be something to do with symbolic links. Nothing gets installed to where you think it does these days.

6. Scort

Mobster

This is because "Compress contents...." is enabled, within Properties/Advanced. It used to be a default setting on Windows 7, I've noticed it seems to be off on the Windows 10 machines I have checked.

7. slipd

Mobster

This. I've uncompressed and they've gone!

Weird, but I don't remember ever compressing in the first place?!