Blue Badge scheme extended to cover "hidden disabilities"

Soldato
Problem is some people don’t need wheelchairs but still have difficulty getting in and out of a car. Many have to open the car door as wide as it goes and swing their legs round to get out, whereas a normal person can just open the door a little and slide out. Even though they don’t have wheelchairs, they still need the wheelchair space.
well they get include as well.

My point was, with the new inclusions more people are going to take these spaces that don;t require the extra space.

Man of Honour
There are only a limited number of disabled spaces. I want to keep those for anyone who genuinely struggles to walk very far. So I am against extending the scheme because I think there is potential for it to make the system worse for the most in need.

Soldato
Hardly makes him a legend. I suspect he was parking without displaying his blue badge, hence the other guys annoyance.

Looking at the images posted, there's no evident blue badge.

Tbh my partner has a blue badge and I'm entitled to one (I have ME) but haven't bothered.

Imo before expanding the scheme they needed to have better processes to detect/report badge abuse. I see it almost daily.
Some people, such as an ex-colleague of mine, get one and think it elevates them above even the rules of the badge. She kept parking in the turning circle at the building's front door rather than using one of 20 disabled bays provided by the company. She tried to claim discrimination when work disciplined her for it and when that failed she quit. She was the typical "I've got a blue badge I'll park where I like" types.

I can see this expansion only leading to more widespread abuse. I get the whole hidden disability argument, having one myself however it will just lead to more "badge borrowing" and false claims of such disability when confronted.

I'm of the opinion that blue badges should only be issued for mobility disabilities where equipment/aids (such as wheelchairs) would make it impossible to use a standard space. To use the van example earlier, his prosthesis means he can get in and out without needing such extra space therefore imo shouldn't have one.

Soldato
I think this needs to be taken on a case by case basis.

I think we have to remember that there is an already a shortage of disabled places to park and its becoming more difficult to find spaces to park as it is.

I am born disabled and been brought up through the disabled schooling system. I've been around physically disabled people (like myself), mentally disabled people, blind, and deaf people.

The badge isn't really saying you have a diagnosed disability. It is purely asking, can you walk X distance without any problem?

I think the current rules would probably have been enough. But in this day and age what was guidelines now seem to have become strict laws implemented in full with little room for judgement.

Don
I have a blue badge because I have Multiple Sclerosis. This change means that my ASD also now counts. I try not to use it unless I absolutely have to ie. if there are bays free then I will park elsewhere to leave the disabled bays for folk with wheelchairs etc.
It's very useful to have though if I'm feeling rough.

Last edited:
Soldato
He received this message from Gregg once he has seen the post

0FwYTtK.jpg

I wonder if the guy actually had a blue badge?

Ok in another article he says this;

Mr Brighouse said that because he was young and people could not necessarily see his disability, they assumed he must not be disabled.

It happens despite him having a blue badge visible, he said.

“Most of the time I will be in shorts and people can see it but because I am young and getting in a work van people think I am not disabled," he added.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Reminded me of this

A disgruntled man was angry at two young able bodied men for parking in a dissabled bay

So he publicly posted this against a company’s Facebook page to try and have them fired or whatnot

MCrYIop.jpg

He received this message from Gregg once he has seen the post

0FwYTtK.jpg

Along with this picture

m0anHTy.jpg

Whilst I’m sure this OP is more about mental illness the same issue arose here with someone not being able to see a disability!

Gregg is a legend for this btw!
I wouldn't say he is a legend. He chooses his words carefully and never says he has a blue badge. All he says is that he has a disability and is 'entitled' to use the bay. It's quite possible that he has applied for a badge and been denied balecause he is sufficiently mobile.

Soldato
Blue badges should be for people who have a disability that severley affects their mobility (be it a 'visual' disability or not).

Unless it severley affects motor function no mental illness shoud make the list. You don't need preferential parking treatment if you have autism.

Soldato
Just to clarify

Mr Brighouse said he has been berated several times by people who assume he is abusing disabled spaces, even though he has a disabled badge.[\quote]

So yes Gregg was displaying a badge

Edit : maybe he wasn’t displaying one the wording again is vague. But it does clear up that he has one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Blue badges should be for people who have a disability that severley affects their mobility (be it a 'visual' disability or not).

Unless it severley affects motor function no mental illness shoud make the list. You don't need preferential parking treatment if you have autism.
anyone with autism that needs a blue badge probably doesn't drive or get out much anyway.
seems blue badge is more of a convenience than anything.

like the guy with the artificial leg, has a work van, clearly his mobility can't be that affected or he wouldn't be working such a job which appears to be fairly labour intensive given the signs on the fan.

hes entitled to a blue badge, does he really need one, probably not

Caporegime
My u understanding has always been disabled bays exist because for some people it is difficult or painful to walk far especialy through car parks where there's hazards.

I dont understand offering it for mental health?

If you're autistic enough that walking presents a challenge should you have a driver's license?

On the other hand does this mean I can get a blue badge for depression? Blue badge + motorcycle has to equal some immense parking opportunities lol

Caporegime
Which makes perfect sense but then why do people with upper limb amputations need one?

They aren't always comfortable to walk on so the idea is it reduces how far they have to walk into/out of the shop.

Doh sorry my bad miss read you there thinking you meant the leg dude.

Upper limb maybe due to clumsiness with the doors? Extra space means less likley to bash another car?

Caporegime
My u understanding has always been disabled bays exist because for some people it is difficult or painful to walk far especialy through car parks where there's hazards.

I dont understand offering it for mental health?

If you're autistic enough that walking presents a challenge should you have a driver's license?

On the other hand does this mean I can get a blue badge for depression? Blue badge + motorcycle has to equal some immense parking opportunities lol
the walking thing for autistic people is surely more about the senses being overloaded in that envrioment but I don't see how driving a car overwhelms the senses less than walking does

Caporegime
the walking thing for autistic people is surely more about the senses being overloaded in that envrioment but I don't see how driving a car overwhelms the senses less than walking does

Exacrly you'd think the same environment coming at you at 10 times as fast as it does when walking would be worse.

Or is that more of a badge for carers than the person themselves

Soldato
Our council (correctly imho) charges both disabled and able-bodied people to use the car parks (just blue badge holders get an extra hour on top).

I dont see why anyone should expect to get free car parking for being a blue badge holder.

I 100% agree with this, there isn't any reason anybody can give me that will convince me that blue badge holders shouldn't have to pay for parking.

Soldato
I can see where they are coming from with this.... people with autism or severe anxiety etc. Can allow you to avoid crowds at certain times.

Can be a huge help to someone who suffers terribly with said conditions. But like someone said it will probably sound good on paper and be near impossible to get just like any disability benefits....

So no changes really (most likely).

Edit: And also as others have said these badges would have limited use in some circumstances because really they don't offer THAT much help.

Soldato
I 100% agree with this, there isn't any reason anybody can give me that will convince me that blue badge holders shouldn't have to pay for parking.

I have a badge, and 100% agree with you. Many car parks you have to pay, more are going this way, which is entirely fair.

It's been the one thing I haven't understood since getting my badge.

I have worse disabilities than autism. I'm almost blind and almost lost all of my hearing. I will never be allowed to drive (not even bumper cars), and will never be able to have children as I got ruled out by a geneticist. I so can't have my own family either. The fact that autistic people can drive and can have a blue badge makes me twitchy.

Back
Top Bottom