Blue Badge scheme extended to cover "hidden disabilities"

Soldato
I would need one because in some circumstances I hate interfacing with people and also want to spend as little time as possible doing something.
However I could still just park in a car park and walk a short distance.

Soldato
If there becomes a problem of spaces not been available then the problem is dealt with as and when it happens.

How exactly?

If too many people are given badges who don't actually need them as they are be able to walk to and from their destinations after parking and are able to get in and out of their vehicles without significant difficulty and/or if too many people are fraudulently using badges then the disabled parking spots will more frequently be used up at busier times.

By what fantastical feat(s) do you imagine this issue will miraculously be solved?

Possibly, we should trust people instead of assuming everyone is trying to play the system.

.... Never mind is see that fantastical thinking is obviously a bit of a theme for you.

Soldato
I would need one because in some circumstances I hate interfacing with people and also want to spend as little time as possible doing something.

Blue badges for impatient anti social people aswell?

Soldato

Most people are like that though lol

Soldato
Good news. Especially after the fight I nearly got in when some dumb **** accosted my old man for parking in a disabled bay, despite him having his blue badge on display and easily visible and me holding his walking stick and having to help him get out of the car.

Soldato
Always happy to agree that people with limited mobility should have a Blue Badge, not quite convinced that
parents of a child with Autism need one, or whether someone with ME or IBS has a right to walk 90 yds less than the rest of us.

I guess you've never met a lower functioning 5 year old on the spectrum, there a danger to themselves and other road users. think mind of a 1 year old agility of a 5 year old on redbull with zero sense of danger.

We are applying for a blue badge, people drive like tards round car parks and with a child that is liable to run and not stop or even just throw himself to the ground in the middle of a road for the hell of it. anything that reduces the risk of a bad outcome is welcome in this house.

But he's an extreme example, I don't think this will apply to any child with autism, they already allow it for children entitled to the higher mobility rate, this just opens the potential for children on the medium/low rate.

also just to point out, we actively avoid busy places so chances of putting a physically disabled holder at a disadvantage is pretty slim!

Commissario
Hmm , surely anyone could claim they had a some form of hidden disability if there’s no diagnosis needed to get a badge
Erm you usually need either to be receipt of DLA/PIP, or have supporting evidence from your GP/Consultant, some local authorites will do their own assesmment if you don't get DLA/PIP.

My father for example never claimed DLA but got a blue badge because he does qualify for one (and probably qualified for DLA for the last 10-20 years), when he applied he asked his GP for a supporting letter for the badge.

Associate
My dad was disabled for many years and would regularly be told he's not "disabled" despite struggling to walk a few feet. He'd have to stop regularly and lean on a wall or hold onto someone but for the first 5-10ft he was fine, then the ailments would hit. He was still getting **** from people when he hit 70. I honestly feel sorry for those who will not get one and have people lining up to give them abuse because they don't have a wheelchair etc.

It'll be even worse for their carers who accompany them. I just don't get why people have to make snarky comments about blue badge owners. Personally I couldn't care less - if the badge is on display then it's none of my business and should be none of theirs.

Both my parents have them and after a couple of incidents directed at me I am reluctant to use them. For the most part I tend to try and drop them at the entrance to where they are going and park. Then I will go get the car and pick them up at the door upon leaving. Sometimes its not convenient though so I have to use one the bays. I know most with a badge will probably not be accompanied by some one able bodied so try and leave the spaces for them.

My dad has quite severe spine and nerve damage, he constantly feels pain in his arms & legs. He can sometimes walk pretty well with his stick but randomly his legs will just go and he will drop to the ground. The only time he really uses his badge is for hospital appointments and once a month when I take him into town to get his hair cut. He's gone to the same hair dressers most of his life. The car park we use has 2 rows along a pretty long stretch, there are 3-4 disabled bays at the end. We walk down to the hair dressers and if he feels he can manage it he will walk back to the car while I get my hair done, or he will wait for me to go get the car and pick him up at the door. On one occasion I went back to the car and had some raging ham beast try and pick a fight with me. She wanted to see the badge and said she was going to confiscate it. She was more entitled to use the space than me because both her kids had ADHD and they each had a badge. She even tried blocking me for reversing out of the parking space.

My mum has COPD and had quite a big operation on her leg, the first time she left the house after coming out of hospital we used hers for the first time in a supermarket car park. As I was waiting to use the cash point some guy came up and grabbed my shoulder from behind shouting that I had stolen his wife's space. Said there was nothing wrong me and I should go move my car for them. I called him a few expletives and told him where to go, so he pulled the race card on me and said I called him a C word because he was black. Im a pretty chilled and restrained person but I came so close to kicking the s*^t out of him.

My mum took it quite badly and doesn't like going shopping now so she leaves me to do it on my own or we order it online. Which is a shame because I try and get them out of the house as much as I can.

Can you get a blue badge for a short term disability? Surgeon plans to disconnect then re-attach my achilles tendon which can take a long time to heal.

Dont think so. I know a elderly lady who had a hip replacement and got denied for one.

Soldato
so you have done that while you have had schizophrenia then, allso easy isnt it

if you have a serious mental health condition that is affected by something as simple as parking then you should not be in control of a vehicle as I would hazard a guess that parking would not be the only thing that can cause issues

Back
Top Bottom