Blue Badge scheme extended to cover "hidden disabilities"

Soldato
Surely fully opening the door is less safe as there’s an increased risk he could get out

Imo it is no safer parking in a disabled bay, it only offers more convenience , which to me is not an appropriate use

It gives the ability to get them in and out without the need to contort your body. If the spaces are not for convenience by your definition, then what are they for?

Caporegime
OP
It gives the ability to get them in and out without the need to contort your body. If the spaces are not for convenience by your definition, then what are they for?

In some circumstance they're essentially for getting a wheel chair out, not just convenient but offering space that would make doing so impossible otherwise.

There are clearly different degrees of need for these spaces and some of the new criteria would apply to cases where the conditions concerned can be variable, this might not be too much of an issue if people are sensible/considerate in their use but I suspect that some will have some entitlement issues.

Soldato
I kind of agree. I would be mightily peed off if I couldn’t get a disabled space because it’s been taken up by a five year old in good physical condition. It’s just not right.

Able bodied and physical condition are not comparable.

In some circumstance they're essentially for getting a wheel chair out, not just convenient but offering space that would make doing so impossible otherwise.

There are clearly different degrees of need for these spaces and some of the new criteria would apply to cases where the conditions concerned can be variable, this might not be too much of an issue if people are sensible/considerate in their use but I suspect that some will have some entitlement issues.

As an example, we use a buggy sometime, it keeps him safe and calm. by all rights that is his wheel chair, it just looks like a over grown child in a push chair, but it serves the same purpose as a wheel chair.

Caporegime
They’re for disabled people to park closer to the premises, allowing them to get there without undue suffering and pain, not for a physically healthy five year old to be potentially a bit safer. Cars still drive round the disabled spaces you know.

Caporegime
OP
As an example, we use a buggy sometime, it keeps him safe and calm. by all rights that is his wheel chair, it just looks like a over grown child in a push chair, but it serves the same purpose as a wheel chair.

that isn't the same thing though, plenty of parents use buggies etc.. it doesn't necessitate using a disabled space

Soldato

some people have physical disabilities that requires more space , your situation on the other hand is that you can do what you’re doing now in any normal space but want more comfort when doing it , to me that’s not in the spirit of what disabled bays are designed for and many on road disabled bays won’t give you any benefit at all part from making it easier for you to get somewhere to park and possibly taking the space from somebody who has a serious physical disability

Soldato
that isn't the same thing though, plenty of parents use buggies etc.. it doesn't necessitate using a disabled space

Disabled push chairs are somewhat bigger than normal push chairs, youd hope by 5 any normal child would be out of one.

A wheelchair is a device used for mobility by people who cannot walk.

Your child can walk and run. It’s not the same.

90% of the time your right, he can, but what he cant do is stand still, listen to instructions and will happily lay limp on the floor, hence the need for the push chair.

some people have physical disabilities that requires more space , your situation on the other hand is that you can do what you’re doing now in any normal space but want more comfort when doing it , to me that’s not in the spirit of what disabled bays are designed for and many on road disabled bays won’t give you any benefit at all part from making it easier for you to get somewhere to park and possibly taking the space from somebody who has a serious physical disability

Except, he does need more space. But lets put this into perspective, just how many times in his life is he going to take that last space?

Soldato
Theres also a twisted irony at play.

Too many badges handed out
Not enough spaces
More spaces made from existing spaces taken from "normal" spaces
New spaces are built further away
Disabled people have to walk further

My dad (@prescott28 on here....I think anyway!) is all for more disabled spaces FURTHER from the stores. He is in a wheelchair but has been for 35 years. Does daily shopping trips in his chair consisting of approx. 1 mile of pushing himself around and more if he decides he needs more exercise too. He's more than fit enough to put able bodied people of his age to shame and has no problem parking at 1 shop at a retail park and high tailing it across the car park if he needs to visit another shop.

He'd love it! All he needs is space and to stop being a stubborn SOB :p

Soldato
Disabled push chairs are somewhat bigger than normal push chairs, youd hope by 5 any normal child would be out of one.

90% of the time your right, he can, but what he cant do is stand still, listen to instructions and will happily lay limp on the floor, hence the need for the push chair.

Except, he does need more space. But lets put this into perspective, just how many times in his life is he going to take that last space?

if you want space for comfort then use a spot designed for people with children but I don’t see the need for people in your situation to get a blue badge and potentially take spaces from people who have physical disabilities

It seems to me you can get by without as I’m sure you’ve probably had to do on numerous occasions as do many other parents

Personally I would only allow blue badges to those that have limited mobility or severe mental disability and need a carer

Soldato
if you want space for comfort then use a spot designed for people with children but I don’t see the need for people in your situation to get a blue badge and potentially take spaces from people who have physical disabilities

It seems to me you can get by without as I’m sure you’ve probably had to do on numerous occasions as do many other parents

Personally I would only allow blue badges to those that have limited mobility or severe mental disability and need a carer

Autism is a severe mental disability. My boy does not communicate( in any shape or form). He's in nappys and get overwhelmed by the most random thing and also attends a special school. Just how mental do you need to be?

Shows like the a word have shown glimpses of a high functioning child with autism can be like. And somewhat distorted the view. Low functioning is a completely different kettle of fish

Soldato
Reins don't stop them running in front of a car

Yes they do. That was the design brief when they were invented. A device that prevents a child from wandering off and into traffic.

God forbid you should do some free thinking and decide maybe it would be a good idea to fit them prior to leaving the vehicle.

Also one would hope as a conscientious parent that if your child was having a melt-down you'd stay in the car until the event had passed to prevent further stress on the child.

I get autistic kids aren't easy, my nephew is on the spectrum but even is his parents complain how most other autism parents are wet blankets that insist on special treatment rather than getting on with it and dealing.

Also please enlighten me how a wider bay stops your child from running LENGTHWAYS into the road. Disabled bays are wider but not longer than a normal bay.

Soldato
Yes they do. That was the design brief when they were invented. A device that prevents a child from wandering off and into traffic.

God forbid you should do some free thinking and decide maybe it would be a good idea to fit them prior to leaving the vehicle.

Also one would hope as a conscientious parent that if your child was having a melt-down you'd stay in the car until the event had passed to prevent further stress on the child.

I get autistic kids aren't easy, my nephew is on the spectrum but even is his parents complain how most other autism parents are wet blankets that insist on special treatment rather than getting on with it and dealing.

Its all very well saying just put them on. As an example my boy wears 2 jumpers and 2 pairs of trousers, he is violent against getting anything else on him. Saying just put reins on is a shortsighted comment. If they worked they would be used!!
Edit just to add, its not about melt downs leaving the car it about him running off as your getting him out, grabbing hold of everything you need, making sure the car is locked etc.

Soldato
Its all very well saying just put them on. As an example my boy wears 2 jumpers and 2 pairs of trousers, he is violent against getting anything else on him. Saying just put reins on is a shortsighted comment. If they worked they would be used!!

Please reread my previous post. I have edited to ask one final point. You posted whilst I was editing

Back
Top Bottom