Associate
So I bought a prebuilt custom rig from OC. The specs are:
4670K [Not overclocked]
R9 290
Aftermarket CPU cooler [Artic Cooling]
1TB Seagate HDD
16GB memory
Phantom case

The order form said the max CPU temp under stress test was 70c but since having the rig I regularly run at 70-75 just playing CSGO. Yesterday I had temperatures up to 84c still only playing CSGO without any programs in the background.

I've had the PC for around 6-8 weeks now and I've had on average 1 blue screen a week. I've had 2 different codes from the blue screens which are; 0x1000007e and 0xa0000001.

Yesterday while playing CSGO, I noticed the FPS was dropping from the standard 300 cap down to 40/50. I know this is perfectly fine FPS range for gaming, but it shouldn't be running at that frame rate for a game like CSGO.

I've spoke to OC 3 times so far, they've had me; run memtest, remove the motherboard battery and now I'm running seagate tools to check my hard drive.

They told me the temperature for the CPU is nothing to worry about but I can't help worrying that the temps are too high for the little stress I'm putting my rig under. My old rig was 4 years old and it ran CSGO with the CPU keeping under 65c.

Any ideas what I should do?
Thanks
Ryan

Associate
OP
The heat sink model is; Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 High Performance Quiet CPU Cooler.

I haven't checked the paste, to be honest I'm a little reluctant to mess with the hardware to much as I'm not too clued up on what I'm doing.

To check the temperatures I've been running speccy whilst doing whatever I need to do.

Edit:
I ran the Seagate tools test, it passed with SMART and Generic Long test without any errors.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a large cooler. If your only running stock then 85c is quite high.

When your CPU reaches 85c what RPM is your CPU fan speed?

Soldato
You shouldn't be getting bluescreens on a pre built rig. Especially a non overclocked one. If it's new it should definitely be OcUK sorting out the problem rather than you.

Associate
0xa0000001 is a general AMD code usually caused by atikmdag.sys. I was getting it on my old system. Bad PSU or Ram caused it for me I think.

From my understanding its not specific and can be caused by about anything; Bad drivers or bad hardware (PSU, ram, mobo or GPU)

If this is a pre built system, you need to kick up a fuss. Two bluescreens is not good news, your PC shouldn't be bluescreening at all considering your not overclocked.

Also 80c in CSGO is totally out of whack. For comparison I have a 4970k with a h100i which is not seated properly and as a result is running hotter than it should be; it's at roughly 45-50c iN CS:GO.

Few things I would do:

Check bios for motherboard are the latest.
Check drivers are the latest.
Monitor GPU temps during load.

Get on the phone to OCUK and get them to sort it for you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's a large cooler. If your only running stock then 85c is quite high.

When your CPU reaches 85c what RPM is your CPU fan speed?

How do I check my fan speeds?

I've spoken to OC again today after another blue screen yesterday, I've been told to try installing updates for my bios.

Failing that I'm not sure what else to try.

Soldato
New pre-built with crashes, high temperatures and bluescreens = back to the shop for them to fix. You shouldn't have to do bios updates on a machine you paid someone else to build.

Soldato
Agreed. They advise you what to do because if you are comfortable doing it, it saves them money, and you dont have to be without a pc for x amount of time.
Just tell them you aren't comfortable doing it, and they have to fix it, as it isnt fit for purpose.

Unless you want more help, in which case, install hwmonitor and check the fan speeds. Check that it goes up under load and down at idle. If it isn't, then it probably isnt connected to the CPU fan header (would be a hard mistake to make since bios tells you when you boot unless you disable it).

What are you using to check temps?
Up to 90 is "OK", but in a desktop with after market cooling and at stock, it should be a lot cooler. What are your idle temps?

Associate
OP
If it's something I can fix at home I don't mind, at least I won't be without a rig. Well these are the temps the first is running prime95 for 10 minutes and the second is idle.

6jlhso.png

xggmep.png

I couldn't actually find the bios updates so I haven't been able to do that but I have had another blue screen since my last update.

The one thing that confuses me a little with the stress test is it's only 5c/6c above what I've had from playing CSGO.

Soldato
Not sure why the 12v says its at 3v?

It guess at cooler is improperly mounted, it can happen in transit, depending on how it attaches. Open up the case and have a look, if its clips, make sure all 4 are clipped in, if its screws its up to you if you want to touch them

Associate
OP
Not sure why the 12v says its at 3v?

It guess at cooler is improperly mounted, it can happen in transit, depending on how it attaches. Open up the case and have a look, if its clips, make sure all 4 are clipped in, if its screws its up to you if you want to touch them

I opened up my rig this morning, from what I can see the heatsink looks secure, I tried applying a little pressure just to see if it was lose but it seems solid. I phoned OCers again this morning, they asked if I'd run prime95 for an hour to check temperatures.

I started this just as I started prime95 to monitor the full test:
2nbd2kk.png

The temperature in my room was 17c and the rig has a ton of space around it for air flow.

They also asked me to run FurMark, which to me they look fine;
Card temperature didn't pass 80c with fan speeds staying at 49%.

I'm going to call them again later, the only other thing they've suggested is that it could be a software problem. What software could cause this problem, would it be windows 7 they're talking about?

Edit:
OCers told me these temperatures are fine, the only thing that concerns me is that I'd like to overclock my CPU in the future but with these temperatures at standard clock speeds, wouldn't it send the heat overboard?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I've phoned OCers again, they have informed me that they'll be sending out a replacement heatsink which I should receive tomorrow.

Not overly confident about fitting it but I'll check a few tutorials before I give it a try. All going well, this should be the end of the blue screen pandemic =].

Soldato
Those temps are not fine. It should not be peaking at 97 degrees (the max temp reading is what you have to be telling them).
Ive never had a faulty heatsink. Spose its possible though, or the fan might be dodgy.

Fitting it will be simple, since any mounting mechanism will be in place already etc, should also come with paste pre applied.

Just do opposite corners when mounting to apply pressure evenly to the cpu. and plug the fan in :D

Back
Top Bottom