BMW 130i M Sport

Soldato
Touché, i'm suprised it took someone THAT long to comment on this :)

However it serves a useful purpose. I could remove it now as I have a FMIC, but it would destroy the look. When you see a Pulsar coming up in your rear view mirror you'll understand

The series one I just think is a mistake, they should have been more redical and dropped the BMW front end of they rehash time and time again. the whole car looks all bent and weird, reminds me of an old boot!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Stonedofmoo said:
Touché, i'm suprised it took someone THAT long to comment on this :)

However it serves a useful purpose. I could remove it now as I have a FMIC, but it would destroy the look. When you see a Pulsar coming up in your rear view mirror you'll understand

The series one I just think is a mistake, they should have been more redical and dropped the BMW front end of they rehash time and time again. the whole car looks all bent and weird, reminds me of an old boot!

It's a good point, didn't know whether you had a Pulsar for real.
So let me get this right, someone driving one of the most pig ugly vehicles ever made, with a interior no better than a normal early 90s Sunny has the balls to complain about the looks of another car.
I know that the GTiR is a supposedly a stonking performance car and is thus generally excused for it's looks. As an owner of one of those, I would have expected you to apply the same logic to another vehicle.

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
It's a good point, didn't know whether you had a Pulsar for real.
So let me get this right, someone driving one of the most pig ugly vehicles ever made, with a interior no better than a normal early 90s Sunny has the balls to complain about the looks of another car.
I know that the GTiR is a supposedly a stonking performance car and is thus generally excused for it's looks. As an owner of one of those, I would have expected you to apply the same logic to another vehicle.
That's a good point, but the 1 series is £26k, the GTiR isn't and the 1 series is also really realllyyyy ugly, revolting.

Soldato
lol, I love how it looks

You simply have to see mine in the dusk, lights on, dash glowing, engine burbling
I fall in love every time I see it :)

Pulsaronrollers.jpg

But thats just me!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
gurdas said:
That's a good point, but the 1 series is £26k, the GTiR isn't and the 1 series is also really realllyyyy ugly, revolting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the GTiR around £20k when new, back in 93'. That's 13 years ago. If you assumed compount inflation of just 3% per annum, the GTiR would cost in todays terms £29370.
And yes, the 130 IS pig ugly. I've never tried to dispute that. I'm saying that it's a great to drive car, in much the same way that the GTiR was/is.
I'm just very surprised that a GTiR driver would be happy to complain about a car that's actually less ugly (IMO) that his.

Soldato
I have driven one, on the way back I had to sit in the back.(or should i say squash) It felt like I was in the back of a saxo and I'm not joking. Quite fast, felt a bit like a tank tho and the suspension was too soft, a bit sloppy

Caporegime
Mr_Sukebe said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the GTiR around £20k when new, back in 93'. That's 13 years ago. If you assumed compount inflation of just 3% per annum, the GTiR would cost in todays terms £29370.
And yes, the 130 IS pig ugly. I've never tried to dispute that. I'm saying that it's a great to drive car, in much the same way that the GTiR was/is.
I'm just very surprised that a GTiR driver would be happy to complain about a car that's actually less ugly (IMO) that his.

i think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The sunny GTiR is a '90s japenese hot hatch, and in the best traditions of japanes hot hatches its a normal daily run around with a whacking great turbo and a 2.0 engine. And being a '90s hatch, it has the interior and lines of a '90s hatch. Funny enough though, my mates Mk3 Golf VR6 feels much the same inside. Its unfair to compare "beauty" of a 90s car with a 2005 car.

those who like japense hot hatches wouldnt have it any other way.

The BMW on the other hand, is new, so its shape is bound to look more up to date. And it just doesnt have the same character that the japense hatch does. As has already been commented, it looks like a 3 series estate thats been put through the hot wash. Not an appealing look imho.

Associate
Travelling *4 adults over a long distance in a BMW 130i M Sport would be pretty far down the list of 'reasons to be buying said car'. Plenty of other choice for that purpose.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
MrLOL said:
The BMW on the other hand, is new, so its shape is bound to look more up to date. And it just doesnt have the same character that the japense hatch does.

Sorry, but that doesn't hold water. I looked at a GTiR when they were still available to buy new. It was pig ugly back then, and the interior was a disgrace for the money. Quite clearly Nissan spent all of the money on the engineering. The interior really was stock Sunny. At least you get a decent interior in the BM.

Soldato
Coco said:
Travelling *4 adults over a long distance in a BMW 130i M Sport would be pretty far down the list of 'reasons to be buying said car'. Plenty of other choice for that purpose.

so then we will go back to my origonal choice of a 350Z/s2000 then if it dosent have to carry people, or we will go in to the RX8 evo scooby etc... if it does have to carry people.
All of those cars are pretty much as fast but dont handle like a canal boat. it's not that bad but it aint as good as it should be in that price range with its competition, especially when there is no room in the back.

Soldato
I've got the 120d Sport - the suspension is far from soft - some would say too harsh, but i like the firmness of the ride and handling is superb.

I've also carried 4 adults in comfort on a 200 mile journey

Looks wise, yes it's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i happen to love the looks of my 1-er, it sits with an aggressive stance (to me anyway)

Why drop that ice cream tub of a Nissan into this thread??? with a BMW 130 M Sport......dont make me laugh!

No comparism, yeah you might have sub-5 sec 0-60 but look how it's delivered.

Wonder just how far behind you would be if the 130 had a turbo bolted to it's fat hairy ass :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mr_Sukebe said:
Sorry, but that doesn't hold water. I looked at a GTiR when they were still available to buy new. It was pig ugly back then, and the interior was a disgrace for the money. Quite clearly Nissan spent all of the money on the engineering. The interior really was stock Sunny. At least you get a decent interior in the BM.

matter of oppinion i guess :)

instead of saying whose argument "holds more water" lets just except that questions of looks will never have a definitive answer

its a variations in taste that means that we can all end up with partners after all :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
MrLOL said:
instead of saying whose argument "holds more water" lets just except that questions of looks will never have a definitive answer

Couldn't agree more, which I've already said earlier.
As for women, would be a bit of a bugger if we all fancied the same one, imagine the fight?

Just surprised that the owner of a Sunny would be complaining about the looks of anything short of a Multipla.

Soldato
!!!!!!! :o

mightynimrod said:
Really????

Have you got one and done this to back up your quote????

Well yes actually, we did a test drive of one and I was in the back. It is not big, and even on a short journey (25mins) I found it uncomfortable. Funnily enough I have a Mk5 VW Golf, and have transported myself and four adults comfortably from Manchester to North Wales, as well as Manchester to Surrey with no complains.

Soldato
NickXX said:
Well yes actually, we did a test drive of one and I was in the back. It is not big, and even on a short journey (25mins) I found it uncomfortable. Funnily enough I have a Mk5 VW Golf, and have transported myself and four adults comfortably from Manchester to North Wales, as well as Manchester to Surrey with no complains.

Nice quick edit on your original post.....:D

Just going from my own experience with a long journey and 4 adult passengers- obviously you had a different one.

The Golfs nowadays are quite bloaty though......so they are bigger - i agree, but then they dont give you anywhere near the same driving experience now do they? ;)

We'll leave the Golf/BMW preferences now-youve got a MK5 Golf ive got a 120d so we aint gonna agree are we?

Soldato
mightynimrod said:
Nice quick edit on your original post.....:D

Just going from my own experience with a long journey and 4 adult passengers- obviously you had a different one.

The Golfs nowadays are quite bloaty though......so they are bigger - i agree, but then they dont give you anywhere near the same driving experience now do they? ;)

We'll leave the Golf/BMW preferences now-youve got a MK5 Golf ive got a 120d so we aint gonna agree are we?

Haha, yes I thought that was a rather crafty ninja edit too! I have a tendency to forget to read entire threads before posting :o

The Golfs definately are quite bloaty - they're big cars, so much so that it came as a bit of a shock when I got mine. I guess it is because - in reality, the Golf is a family car rather than anything else, so needs a proper boot and proper back seats.

Luckily it seems that VW have seen the error of their ways with the Mk3/4's and have put proper engines in the latest line up of Golfs. I've got a 1.9TDI which is great for motorway driving (I drove from London -> Southern France over the summer and it just seems to eat the miles with ease).

I'm quite fond of the way Mk5 handles, but you are right, the 1-series is clearly in a league of its own when it comes down to this area. :D

Back
Top Bottom