1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW 335D engine

Discussion in 'Motors' started by MrSix, Jan 25, 2012.

1. paradigm

Caporegime

Best guess, no because it was never going to get beyond the "pie in the sky" stage.

Dropping an S50B32 or S54B32 into one would have made far more sense.

2. pepsilol

Mobster

I am amazed anyone is even bothering to feed such a pipe dream.

It's always just talk.

Just realised this was a huge bump. Lol.

3. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Is the OP still alive or did we scare him off due to laughing at his amazing diesel powered racecars?

4. MrSix

Soldato

I am indeed still alive ;) Doing very well indeed thanks boys!

The Z3 diesel project didn't go anywhere as predicted, however I do have another one which is coming along nicely. I have a fully built PD150 motor that I put together which is currently sat on a pallet. Based on similar builds (not as comprehensive as mine) it should make around 340ish bhp on straight diesel, then around the 400 mark on NOS.

That will eventually go in to a stripped out MK1 Audi TT quattro along with the O2M box and Wavetrac diffs I have also sat on said pallet.

5. Uncle_Gravy

Mobster

Oh how I wish I had a couple of grand to throw at an ESS Supercharger for my Z4. :(

6. Armageus

Don

Seems like another fairly pointless pipedream project. Surely extracting 300bhp out of the 1.8T lump would be easier, than doing a complete swap to a heavy diesel engine, and then trying to tune that.

7. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Indeed, wish him good luck with it, but i will never understand the point.

8. paradigm

Caporegime

But but but, the EM PEE GEEZ!

9. leon4112

Wise Guy

Or the 3.2 with a supercharger that would be unique :)

10. Nasher

Capodecina

Diesel engines are also very heavy. That could ruin the handling.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  11. Tom_ed1987

Wise Guy

Sounds interesting - what's your plan for ratios/final drive as I thought that gearbox was the one mated to petrol engines?

12. Django x2

Capodecina

Is this TurboToasters evil US cousin?

13. MrSix

Soldato

Not sure who you are mate, or what you think gives you the right to
    call other people's projects and passions "pointless" and you sure as hell don't know me, nor do you know where I'm at with this project. So perhaps hold your tongue next time, or at least engage in polite conversation to form those loft opinions of yours.

Also unsure as to why you're being a sarcastic **** either Paradigm. Remember who got everyone together to collect money to replace your 1.8T engine when it took a career change at Silverstone on that track day? Have a bit of respect mate, you've never been an idiot to my face so I'd appreciate it if you didn't on here.

Some people like jap cars, others like american muscle, it doesn't matter what you're in to as long as it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anybody else.

My thing is tuned turbo diesels. I like the power delivery, I like the way they sound (shock horror!) and if you do a little bit of googling for "Fastest 1.9 TDI" or "300bhp TDI" you'll see plenty of people taking the PD110/PD130/PD150 motor, bolting on a GTB2260 and a set of nozzles and having great fun with them in a variety of cars for not a lot of money.

Currently I'm driving a 4.2l V8 lifted Touareg with straight pipes and mud tyres, so don't think I don't enjoy petrols either!

As for the handling of a TT with a diesel engine, Michael Boak races a TT TDI in an autocross series (not sure which) against all types of other cars. He wins fairly consistently and his car handles great!

The PD engine isn't THAT heavy in all fairness and with a good suspension set up and some other weight distribution methods you can actually get a pretty well balanced car. My Leon for example was a perfect 60/40 F/R distribution and that was with a totally stripped out rear. Chris as Centre Gravity who did the suspension set up was absolutely blown away by how well it handled and how well it put the power down.

RE the gearbox, I'll be using the internals from my O2M and replacing those on the 6 speed petrol box.

I appreciate it's not for everyone and that's fine, because guess who's bankrolling this project :)

I promise you when it's finally done you'll have a hard time picking fault with it. Yes I could have built a 1.8T TT instead, but that's not in any way original and the thought of a stripped out, track prepped and set up, DTM wide body MK1 TT murdered out with a huge wing and a 1.9TDI motor producing 400bhp on NOS really tickles my pickle and if it does nothing for you, I'm okay with that :)

14. TrafficMaster

PermaBanned

Everyone is missing the critical point.

OP is American or in America. They do really stupid things all the time, and many people are obsessed with diesels because they think its cool, and its different to the usual 25L/100km 98bhp 5.4L engines they are used to.

I wasted time on youtube watching American idiots doing stunts in big pickups and they all got excited over which massive diesel cruiseship engine in their trucks was producing the most black smoke out of the exhaust pipe.

Can you fit an M5 v10 motor into a Z3?

15. WoodyUK

Soldato

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. Acme

Caporegime

Instead of being a total --snip-- to anyone who dares question your idea, why not explain it instead? You are capable of doing so, I assume?

No Personal Insults - Armageus

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
  17. MrSix

Soldato

I am and I have.

18. MrSix

Soldato

I started this project in England and I'm British.

19. Joe T

Capodecina

Interesting project :)

Question if I may: will you be 'rolling coal' in this?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  20. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour