BMW and M Power Owners

PS4, I had them on the Chaser and they were ok, but the Chaser had a Cusco RS LSD whilst the M140i is open diff. Idk, its a good car, I just don't get the same feedback from it as I did from my 20 year old S Boxes...

Fronts have around 4.3-4.5mm of tread whilst rears have 3.2-3.5mm tread left. Not tragic, but they might of lost their efficiency due to age... hmmm

Got P Zeros on 530d ... stock tyres so nervous when I picked it up, but, had a proper blast around Snowdonia last week and they were faultless, fantastic grip. Had Contis/Hankook on previous 535d, these are better. For run-flats great 'feel', no doubt they will last half the time but don't care. Good enough for F1 .....
My experience on p zeros is that they are very poor compared to the equivalent Michelin. I think they have stiffer side walls which makes them much more prone to tramlining.

PS4, I had them on the Chaser and they were ok, but the Chaser had a Cusco RS LSD whilst the M140i is open diff. Idk, its a good car, I just don't get the same feedback from it as I did from my 20 year old S Boxes...

Fronts have around 4.3-4.5mm of tread whilst rears have 3.2-3.5mm tread left. Not tragic, but they might of lost their efficiency due to age... hmmm

I doubt the tyres are the problem, it’s probably the electronically assisted power steering rack.

The PS4's aren't cutting it for me, need something grippier that won't be an absolute pain to drive in the rain

I think the main issue is the 500nm of torque from 1500rpm going through an open diff and 245 section rears.

Mine is different car after fitting a Quaife ATB

Wouldn’t get them for a road car. Look at F1A5.
Why? Is it hard to heat them up, to get them to stick?
I doubt the tyres are the problem, it’s probably the electronically assisted power steering rack.
Yeah, I think its a combination of too many electronics along with a open diff...
I think the main issue is the 500nm of torque from 1500rpm going through an open diff and 245 section rears.

Mine is different car after fitting a Quaife ATB
Yep

How much did the Quaife set you back and did it come with casing or did you have to change the insert?

Oooof just sat in the new M3 competition that my uncle got as a courtesy car, never seen so much carbon fibre on show, absolutely love the carbon fibre roof. Had the optional extra carbon bucket seats as well, what a car! Just hate the big nostril front end.

How much did the Quaife set you back and did it come with casing or did you have to change the insert?

not cheap, BMW weld the pinion (?) gear to the shaft so its needs milling off before being prepared with bolt holes for the Quaife.

Its around £1900 fitted, which is on an exchange basis - so you get a modified Quaife diff in a reconditioned housing and return your original.
I think there might be a group buy in babybmw forums at the moment.

I got mine as part of a package with the Bilstein Birds suspension package but I haven't got that fitted yet

They're an ultra high performance summer tyre, I really wouldn't run them on a road car unless it's doing a lot of track days and not much mileage in the colder/wetter months.

I always found the compound to be too varied between sets, AD08R were far more consistent on my FD2.

I've mentioned it before, you can get the BMW OEM LSD fitted for £2k and you keep your standard diff, then when it's time to sell/PX get the open diff fitted again and sell the BMW one for £1200+.

Oooof just sat in the new M3 competition that my uncle got as a courtesy car, never seen so much carbon fibre on show, absolutely love the carbon fibre roof. Had the optional extra carbon bucket seats as well, what a car! Just hate the big nostril front end.
That Carbon pack option is must have, just for those seats !!

No, it's because of everything. They are not designed for the road, unless it's a car that is only ever going to go on dry roads in the summer.

They are terrible if the road is wet, which only gets worse as you build up speed, they are so harsh over small bumps and they are noisy.

They're just not meant for a car which spends 99% of it's time in the road, and certainly not one which will be driven all year round through rain and on cold roads.

I was chatting to a guy at track day who had similar, don't remember which but he found them a pain as even on track you had to warm them up and the operating window was small, where as he preferred the consistency of the PS4S. I only started talking to him as i apologised for nearly going into the back of him, he didn't mind as he said he was braking early cause the tyres weren't warm...

There is no fun second guessing tyres, you need something consistent. I've always struggled to understand the mind set of track tyres on a road car. Sure you might go a bit faster when conditions are ideal, but most the time you would be better off with a high performance road tyre.

Back
Top Bottom