BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Does anyone have a 530e circa 2018 forward. Not sure if a facelift happened on them during the later years.

What are they like? Decent range on the electric?

Yes. It's brilliant, no the range isn't good it's only got a 9.2kwh battery after all. 2019 on cars gotnthe 12kwh battery which is marginally better. I have a short commute which is done all on electric, the longer journeys where the economy isn't great bring the average down to 55mpg. I would imagine its similar to 520d but it's much much faster and refinement is in another league.
If you're doing a lot of miles it probably isn't going to be for you. Mine has all the toys on it, got to say if it didn't then I'd be far less enthusiastic about it.

Man of Honour
I could live with 50-55mpg no problem

Whether it will do this or not depends on the sort of driving you're doing. On a motorway run it's not going to do this, but on a shorter start stop trip where you start with a full battery you'll get better economy.

Soldato
Whether it will do this or not depends on the sort of driving you're doing. On a motorway run it's not going to do this, but on a shorter start stop trip where you start with a full battery you'll get better economy.

Yes I understand. My driving is mainly 16 mile round Commute, local stop start traffic. We have solar/powerwall and I thought it makes sense to get a plug in when I looked at Priuses.

I ended up with the Corolla but seeing what these offer I’m tempted to change. I totally forgot about the model tbh, I only thought they did a 330e.

Soldato
Not really. Faults with the active grilles and telematics battery are super common and affect all g30.
Not heard of anything specific to the hybrids. Mine did have a replacement charging inverter at 3 years under warranty. I understand it was about £3k.

These cars have one major annoyance, any hint of frost or ice and the door handles get stuck, doors get stuck shut or often if you do get it open the latch sticks and you can't shut it. Honestly it's ridiculous a premium car maker that's been in the game so long can put out cars that can't cope with winter.

Soldato
Not really. Faults with the active grilles and telematics battery are super common and affect all g30.
Not heard of anything specific to the hybrids. Mine did have a replacement charging inverter at 3 years under warranty. I understand it was about £3k.

These cars have one major annoyance, any hint of frost or ice and the door handles get stuck, doors get stuck shut or often if you do get it open the latch sticks and you can't shut it. Honestly it's ridiculous a premium car maker that's been in the game so long can put out cars that can't cope with winter.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into them further.

Soldato
Anyone know if BMW will update the onboard 3g sim when they switch off the 3g network next month?

I'm in the dealers on Thursday so plan to ask whilst there but wondered if anyone had already done so.

Soldato
Anyone know if BMW will update the onboard 3g sim when they switch off the 3g network next month?

I'm in the dealers on Thursday so plan to ask whilst there but wondered if anyone had already done so.

Depending on the car, I doubt it’ll support 4G. Much like phones needed new hardware for 5G, devices typically require new hardware for an upgrade to 4G or 5G.

Man of Honour
The 3g network that that older bmws use for the connected drive services is being switched off in February.
Just asking if anyone knows if there is something in place to upgrade them to 4g or is a 2016 car now concidered to be outdated?

Source for that? Only certain networks are talking about switching off 3G... surely the car can use other available networks?

Soldato
Source for that? Only certain networks are talking about switching off 3G... surely the car can use other available networks?

I've read it on several sites over the past few months hence why I'm asking if anyone else had any information on this as I dont want to get into the car one day to find none of the online stuff works anymore!

My thought was the same, surely not every network are going to switch off at the same time

Soldato
Yeah I don't think it is happening yet. But some networks had mentioned 2022 a year or so ago.

They are defo planning to shut it down to free up the spectrum in the UK, an it's now to the next year or so. There is no need for 3g now. They'll just keep 2g for emergency services.

In the US they have agree to fix certain cars I believe.

I think it pretty wild that a 2016/17 5 series was equipped with 3g and not up dated back in 2014.

I have a 66 plate F10..
Tbh I done care about the network connection, but I do think they should offer an upgrade to the data module if possible.

It runs on Vodafone btw.

Back
Top Bottom