BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
What is the fuel consumption like mixed driving (60% town and 40% motorway) in the M340i (Saloon RWD)?

The M340i is only available as all wheel drive in the UK.

Mine does about 25 around town and well over 40 on the Motorway.

Overall since purchase I have averaged 35. It isn't much less efficient than my 530d was, which really surprised me.

Man of Honour
...and for those of us that enjoy driving, mine averages 25 ;)

It's the motorway driving that brings the average up. There isn't really much you can do with your driving style to change how enjoyable a drive it is on a motorway is there.

The majority of my usage in terms of mileage is longer journeys, which helps keep the average high. It's a really efficient car for what it is on a long journey.

If I look at a month where I didn't do any long trips the average was 25.

Last edited:
Commissario
It's the motorway driving that brings the average up. There isn't really much you can do with your driving style to change how enjoyable a drive it is on a motorway is there.

The majority of my usage in terms of mileage is longer journeys, which helps keep the average high. It's a really efficient car for what it is on a long journey.

If I look at a month where I didn't do any long trips the average was 25.
Yeh on a more serious note, it's easy to average 40+ mpg on long drives with cruise on but unfortunately most of my driving is shorter trips so the average is fairly low.

Reactions: IC3

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yeh on a more serious note, it's easy to average 40+ mpg on long drives with cruise on but unfortunately most of my driving is shorter trips so the average is fairly low.
How low? :p

My dad asked me for advice on what to get next, the 330D will soon be 10 years old and over 100k miles. He's looking at X3, G series 330d, M340i, 530D and 540i with a budget of £25-30k. He uses the car daily, doing a lot of short trips with a mix of town and motorway driving. I tried to convince him to just get an M140i, but apparently its too small and not as comfortable... I thought the opposite, but prior all my cars had coils and were setup for either drift or fast road setup, so my perception of comfort might be different to his. :cry:

Man of Honour
You'll get a better 540i or 530d for that budget than any of the others, but it will be a bit older. I think at this money, if you want a 6 cylinder car the 5 Series is a better choice. The G20 330d is excellent if you can find one but they are very rare and the M340 market doesn't start to feature cars you'd actually want to buy until you go over £30k.

Last edited:
Reactions: IC3

IC3

IC3

Soldato
You'll get a better 540i or 530d for that budget than any of the others, but it will be a bit older. I think at this money, if you want a 6 cylinder car the 5 Series is a better choice. The G20 330d is excellent if you can find one but they are very rare and the M340 market doesn't start to feature cars you'd actually want to buy until you go over £30k.
When you say a bit older, what year range are we talking?

Associate
Very good, it's an epic car (albeit with some teething issues).

What spec did you go for and did you get a good discount off list?
Contract hire via my business.

Went for base spec.

I've been driving around in one of our pool cars so anything is an improvement on that.

Back
Top Bottom