BMW M140i

Associate
Looking for some advice, has anyone on here got an M140 or had one, I am thinking of getting rid of my Audi RS3 2012 (520bhp) and have been looking at the M140i.

What are they like to drive? I know its a bit down on power compared to my RS3 but I am sure they can be modded to achieve more.

Soldato
The 3 litre straight 6 in the 40i's are generally well regarded - they certainly pull very well from low down. Standard BMW build quality and prices. Rear wheel drive, vs the quattro of your RS3. Not sure I'd personally make the move to be honest.

What are the reasons you want to upgrade?

Associate
I had a M135i, so know a little.

M140i - I believe they generally dyno more than the quoted 330, and with a JB4/equivalent/remap they're knocking on 400bhp. downpipe to break through, i think. Then you're looking at a turbo and intercooler change for a jump in power.

To drive - quite fun, but not mx5 fun... raw power and 6 pot noise is ace, but rwd sliding is limited due to the lacking LSD. If you're looking to buy and not pcp then I would highly recommend looking at fitting one. Factory setup is quite understeery, and thus they can scrub through the outside edges of the front tyres surprisingly quickly for a rwd, so I followed the general consensus on BabyBMW website and have them a few psi above BMW's figure.

Mine had the active suspension, which was good - could feel it working away and loading up the outside suspension to keep the car flat. It was the first optional extra recommended by reviews, at the time I got mine.

The 3dr has extra bracing under the car that's not fitted to the 5dr, so you can improve the rigidity by retrofitting that.

Tbh, from a rs3, I'd be looking at a m2 or possibly m240 (with lsd) tho...

Soldato
Soldato

M140i - I believe they generally dyno more than the quoted 330, and with a JB4/equivalent/remap they're knocking on 400bhp. downpipe to break through, i think. Then you're looking at a turbo and intercooler change for a jump in power.

To drive - quite fun, but not mx5 fun... raw power and 6 pot noise is ace, but rwd sliding is limited due to the lacking LSD. If you're looking to buy and not pcp then I would highly recommend looking at fitting one. Factory setup is quite understeery, and thus they can scrub through the outside edges of the front tyres surprisingly quickly for a rwd, so I followed the general consensus on BabyBMW website and have them a few psi above BMW's figure.

Mine had the active suspension, which was good - could feel it working away and loading up the outside suspension to keep the car flat. It was the first optional extra recommended by reviews, at the time I got mine.

The 3dr has extra bracing under the car that's not fitted to the 5dr, so you can improve the rigidity by retrofitting that.

I think the undercar brace is only fitted to the 240i with the x140is, neither 3dr or 5dr gets the brace

Associate
OP
The 3 litre straight 6 in the 40i's are generally well regarded - they certainly pull very well from low down. Standard BMW build quality and prices. Rear wheel drive, vs the quattro of your RS3. Not sure I'd personally make the move to be honest.

What are the reasons you want to upgrade?
Thanks for the info, I just got that upgrade itch tbh, had the RS3 since new its a 2012 model (8p).

Associate
OP

Thanks for the detailed response Derek, certainly a lot to consider, I was considering buying either a MY2017 or 18 model, I probably would be going bigger turbo, as I do like to tinker!!.
I will look at the 240i, as well but it has to be 5 door to keep my misses happy!
Do you still have you 140?

Soldato
I have an M140i (bought in December 2018) and owned an M135i for almost two years.

Happy to help where I can but I'd need to know why you want to make this move.

My M140i is a 3dr auto with adaptive suspension and the upgraded nav system, with a slew of other options, but those I've just listed, in my mind, are essential - save for the 3dr of course.

The trouble here is that you're coming from an accomplished and focused driving tool. Call the M140i what you want, it's not focused, not out of the factory at least. I believe Chris Harris did a video when the M135i was launched and if memory serves, he was comparing it to the Audi RS3, and preferred the BMW. But there's other things to consider, like, at the time, the £10k price difference. I'm assuming yours has taken a lot of the depreciation already.

As you like to tinker I'd be putting money towards an LSD immediately, and then perhaps start working towards M4 control arms, and other bits of suspension work to boot. I'm not a fan of tinkering so mine is completely standard, however I don't do any track work so I don't feel the need.

As you're rocking at 500bhp car I'm assuming you enjoy a bit of fun and I don't think the M140i is where it's at, you'd be better off looking for a used M3/M4 from the F generation in all fairness, but I don't know what your budget is. I paid £26k for a year old M140i fully kitted out, at the time I was also considering an M3/M4 and the bottom end of that barrel was £32k/£33k cars - in the end I opted for a newer car with the options and reduced running costs, but I do question if I made the wrong decision sometimes. The M2's - I would believe - are still quite pricey but I can't say I've looked all that much.

Bear in mind the F20/F21 design is quite old now and although you can spec it to have lots of modern comforts, it's missing some of the items that a lot of new buyers are demanding from cars. The new 1 Series is almost on our doorstep, but with that comes AWD and no 6 pots, and it's down on power.

A few of my brief thoughts:
  • Brutal, linear power - I genuinely feel that no more is needed for the British roads, but your mileage may will vary, considering your current motor.
  • Cornering, handling, and steering feel is all acceptable. It's no M car, despite the connotations, I think the Munich folk like to say it's 70% "M", but to me it's more like 30-50% at best. Most of that is the M Sport suspension I feel.
  • ZF8 gearbox is fantastic, my favourite gearbox of all time. I've not driven hundreds of cars or anything but have had a fair share of autos and manuals, and I'd have this gearbox in everything if I could. Whisper quiet and unnoticeable shifts in comfort, and blisteringly snappy shifts when you're "on" it in sport/sport+.
  • Build quality is fairly naff. Loudish cabin, squeeks and rattles ahoy, very much a small hatchback at the end of the day, and doesn't feel like a £40k new car (which is fair, considering it's based on a 1 Series which is more like a £17k hatchback).
  • I have more fun in my girlfriend's F56 Mini Cooper S.
  • It's relatively comfortable on most roads, with the adaptive at least. It's no 5 Series, of course.
  • 25mpg for normal town driving, 35mpg and onwards for motorway jaunts.
  • Buy a pre-PPF car, mine sounds bloody awesome, post PPF cars do not. Plenty of videos on YouTube to make an informed decision.

Associate
I have one, great fun, try and get a Shadow Edition, you get a lot better spec as standard.
If needs be, you can get the advanced bluetooth functionality coded in, with CarPlay etc for £89 (I think) if you need to stay under the 40k limit to save getting the higher rate VED.

Soldato
I have one, great fun, try and get a Shadow Edition, you get a lot better spec as standard.
If needs be, you can get the advanced bluetooth functionality coded in, with CarPlay etc for £89 (I think) if you need to stay under the 40k limit to save getting the higher rate VED.

When did the higher rate VED come into play? Mine is an October 2017 car and I'm sure it would've come to more than £40k new (M140i 3dr, Shadow Edition, auto, pro nav, folding mirros, adaptive suspension, Apple CarPlay, adaptive LED's, Estoril Blue paint, parking sensors all round, reversing camera, speed limit warning, heated seats, and probably some other stuff I haven't remembered) - but I only pay the standard amount for VED.

Associate
When did the higher rate VED come into play? Mine is an October 2017 car and I'm sure it would've come to more than £40k new (M140i 3dr, Shadow Edition, auto, pro nav, folding mirros, adaptive suspension, Apple CarPlay, adaptive LED's, Estoril Blue paint, parking sensors all round, reversing camera, speed limit warning, heated seats, and probably some other stuff I haven't remembered) - but I only pay the standard amount for VED.

Looks like it was around April 2017, https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/03/car-tax-changes-from-april-2018/

Associate
Thanks for the detailed response Derek, certainly a lot to consider, I was considering buying either a MY2017 or 18 model, I probably would be going bigger turbo, as I do like to tinker!!.
I will look at the 240i, as well but it has to be 5 door to keep my misses happy!
Do you still have you 140?
240s are only 3 door, so you're looking at M135/M140 for 5door option and more practicability - pretty much the main reason I went with the 1 over 2 series.

Erm... I would still have my car, but it got stolen a couple months ago, so nope...

would I get another... probably not tbh...

Ignoring my theft concerns getting another. As Wingman said - it's amazing in a straight line, especially with the ZF. From 20mph it's a rocketship, but I have to admit, it just didn't feel confidence building like a Golf R or fun like a MX5. It would rocket up to licence-losing speeds, but in the corners, it just felt a bit lacking - but, i guess that's the required differentiation between the M-lite cars and the "proper" M cars...

Pros - amazing engine and gearbox
likely to be the last ever rwd 6 pot hatchback - so might become a classic and depreciate less in time (but I think there's too many on the road to appreciate)
practical - an amazing all rounder of a car, kind of a jack of all, master of none...

cons - lacking LSD as standard
surprising amount of understeer for a rwd, due to a "safer" factory setup
jack of all, master of none - not poised/precise enough to be a b-road blaster, and not refined enough to be a motorway mile-muncher
it's a BMW - I'm pretty much 99% sure I'll never have a BMW again as the customer service I have received from my local garage is frankly awful. I'm sure other dealers are better, they can only be, but it's enough to kinda put me off the brand altogether.

Compared with other options, i think it's the more adult hot/hyper hatch. Not as lairy or track focused as a Cupra or Golf R, but more fun than a S3 (not tried RS3 tho). Only possible “adult” competitor is a A45, but that’s a decent £ more… If I wanted a competent b-road blaster hatchback, I think I’d be looking at a Golf R tbh.

Soldato
I picked up a new 140i in March.

I came from a Megane R26. I mainly chose the 140 as none of the other rivals interested me in the slightest. All 4 pot engines and 4WD. The BMW seemed to be the last in a dying breed, 6 cyl straight 6, RWD. They won't make another car like that again.

First impressions are great. Coming from a Renault, it feels like a Bentley inside to me! I've never been too fussed about quality leather and all that rubbish.
I also went against what I had said for years too......I'm never getting an auto car! But the ZF box int he 140 is brilliant. Very smooth, and almost feels like a DSG when you push on. The economy is amazing for the engine too. Easy 40-45mpg on long A/motorway runs.

The power is addictive, and as I've said in other threads, I really don't see why you'd want anymore on the public roads.
The handling doesn't quite feel as alive as the R26, but that is Renault's forte, and the BMW is a heavier car.

I've had no regrets, but as you are already in the 'premium' hot hatch tier, maybe it's not the right move.

Associate
How odd...

I assume the increased VED cost is sent to people as standard and it's up to the DVLA to inform me of the correct amount to pay, i.e. it's stamped on the cars V5C/VIN, or do I need to be paying extra?

I would assume its up to them, what was the invoice cost of yours? It may of been just under the guidelines as I think you can spend just over 40k.

Associate
But to some that might be its main appeal. It can do everything well.
that's why it's both a pro and con. 80-90% of the time is will be good, but it might not create the special fizz to be great.

it does what it needs to - gets from A to B well and v quickly, but it rarely made me want to take the longer way home, in the way I did in my MX5. It's fun, but doesn't necessarily thrill, if you get me.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy owning it, and would still be if it hadn't been used as a getaway car. But, now it's gone, I don't miss it as much as I have other cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy owning it, and would still be if it hadn't been used as a getaway car. But, now it's gone, I don't miss it as much as I have other cars.

I definitely preferred my E46 and E39 owning experiences to that of the M135i and M140i.

Wish you could get those cars with the modern engineering and tech... hence why I'm looking for a replacement. Can see it being an F10 in all fairness.

I would assume its up to them, what was the invoice cost of yours? It may of been just under the guidelines as I think you can spend just over 40k.

I bought it approved used from BMW. I've just dropped an e-mail to the guy I bought it from to see if he can tell me the original price.

Back
Top Bottom