BMW using Peugeot engines?

Soldato
On another forum I frequent a representative of a local Peugeot dealer has stated the following:

For those that are unaware and is quite an interesting fact, Peugeot Petrol engines are used by Ford, BMW and Mini Cooper and Diesel engines are used Jaguar and Land Rover.

I can't believe for a second BMW us peugeot engines in their cars?! I know they developed an engine is PSA for the mini/some of the peugeot **** boxes, but surely not for actual BMWs?

If so which cars use the Peugeot engines?

I've done some googling and cannot find anything to support that statement other than some information about the 4 pot engines BMW developed with PSA as mentioned above for the mini.

No, her English is appalling, I read it as

"Peugeot petrol engines are used by Ford, BMW and Mini (BMW) and Peugeot diesel engines are used by Jaguar and Land Rover".

I know PSA worked with Ford on may engines (since 1998 according to wiki) including the 2.7 and 3.0 V6 diesel in the modern jags. I also know that they developed an engine with BMW for the mini.

My real curiosity lies within BMW using Peugeot engines in their cars, then BMW have a massive range of very good engines designed in house at their disposal.

EDIT: above was posted whilst writing this - cheers paradigm

I believe the PSA engines are from a joint venture between Peugeot, BMW, and Citroen. All three brands use the engine in their cars.

For those that are unaware and is quite an interesting fact, Peugeot branded Petrol engines are used by Ford, BMW and Mini Cooper and Diesel engines are used Jaguar and Land Rover.

Possibly a better statement, seen as they aren't Peugeot engines, they are just a project they were involved in with a Pug badge on it?

My understanding is that:
- The 1.6ltr engines (Petrol and diesel) were "co-developed", whatever that means by BMW and PSA. The only BMW cars they're in at the moment is the Mini, though that might change in the future
- Jag/LR use both the 2.2 diesel and 2.7/3.0 v6. the 2.2 is in the new Evoque and the v6 in a variety of Jags since the S type
- Ford use the 2.2 diesel in some of their Mondeos IIRC

So, "PSA engine in a BMW" is just an interpretation of "an engine co-developed between the two groups is being used in a BMW sub-brand".

I feel a lack of surprise that a Pegueot dealer has tried to claim that BMW use their petrol engines, when the reality is that for 10 years BMW and Peugeot have co-developed one engine that is fitted to two variants of the Mini.

Last edited:
I expect there is a lot of co-developing and technology sharing that goes on between car makers that average Joe consumer is totally unaware of, which the dealers can then spin into whatever marketing hype they want.

I guess the problem is that a Peugeot dealer is attempting to spin co-development of one engine (whether good or not) in to "Peugeot Petrol engines are used by BMW", which is a stretch of the imagination and probably left intentionally vague to fool the ignorant. I can imagine him peddling this to Peugeot buyers as he's trying to sell them a new 207.

"This particular engine was co-developed with BMW" doesn't sound quite as attractive as "Peugeot engines are so good BMW use them".

Nothing wrong with the Peugeot 1.6 engines anyway. What's the problem? :)

"This particular engine was co-developed with BMW" doesn't sound quite as attractive as "Peugeot engines are so good BMW use them".

This.

No problem, I have just never heard of anything like this (I'm well aware of PSAs links with Ford/BMW etc.) and thought it was quite the bold claim to make.

There's a slight difference between "BMW engines are made in England"
and "some components for BMW engines are made in England."

BMW Plant Hams Hall, Coleshill

Products: Four-cylinder petrol engines

BMW Plant Hams Hall plays a crucial role in BMW Group's international production network as the centre of competence for the production of all four-cylinder petrol engines for both BMW and MINI. Around 1000 people are employed at the plant which supplies engines to the MINI production plant at Oxford and to BMW plants in Munich, Regensburg, Leipzig and Dingolfing (Germany), MSF (Magna Steyr Fahrzeug) in Graz (Austria), Rosslyn (South Africa) and Spartanburg (USA) for the BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 series, Z4 Roadster and X3 model ranges.

(Source http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/about/corp_information/0,,___,00.html?siteID=1364)

Back
Top Bottom