1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by pokerking, May 17, 2018.

1. Flibster

Caporegime

They did use a brief of the original coverage though, When you see them sitting with Princess Di and Luggy. That was the only bit.

2. StevieP

Soldato

Yeah it was a bit weird that that particular scene was so accurate but then the rest of the film was apparently littered with inaccuracies - but it didn't really affect my viewing because I wasn't aware it was wrong at the time!

3. v0n

Sgarrista

Not just littered with inaccuracies though - practically none of it happened as shown on screen.
    It wasn't how they met and formed Queen, Freddie knew everyone in Smile (including their first vocalist) for over a year before becoming band member. Smile played along Freddies band Ibex on several occasions and Mercury and May flat-shared together for months before him joining Smile/forming Queen. Just ask SexyGreyFox, he was there on the night with his band (sorry, totally uncalled for but couldn't resist ;) )
    Freddie and Mary didn't meet on the same night/Smile concert. He knew Mary long before since Mary was his flatmate's (yes - Brian May's) girlfriend when they met. John Deacon wasn't partaking in Queen's first concert, he didn't join the band until late 1971. Their first manager was never fired, he moved on to a different position in the industry. It wasn't how they wrote most of the hit songs shown and almost all songs in the movie are written, premiered or performed live in a wrong year. The Austin Powers frowning EMI executive never existed in real life, and the guy they actually had as a contact exec at EMI was crazy about the band. The band never split up, all members had solo careers before Freddie's endeavours and they didn't enter Live Aid from a long estranged hiatus. They jumped on stage after returning from a ten month world tour promoting album The Works (Radio Ga Ga, It's a Hard Life, I Want to Break Free, Hammer To Fall - that album). The tour ended 7 weeks before Live Aid and included two nights at Rock In Rio (which in the movie happens in 70ies, and which Mary somehow watches on TV back in UK). They kicked bottoms at Live Aid because they trialed the set by fire for months plus they rehearsed few hours a day for weeks before the show. The phones at Live Aid weren't silent until Queen played, Queen was number n-teeth in a long run of absolute superb sets before them, including Sting with Phil Collins, Brian Ferry with David Gilmour, plus U2 and Dire Straits directly in a queue before them. Freddy didn't fall for his ex man-servant, Jim was a hairdresser and they met at a club. A week before courting Jim, Freddie was still dating some Austrian actress (she's actually in the "It's a Hard Life" video). Because his sexuality wasn't that black and white. And of course that's not how and when the whole HIV thing.

In tldr; - there was a Mary, there was a band, they played at Live Aid and there were Pepsi cups on the piano - that's about as much as is correct in that movie. :D

4. wolfie138

Mobster

...but apart from THAT, it's fairly accurate?

5. FrankJH

Capodecina

I have to admit Im a huge Queen fan (late 70's to late 80's at least) but I really didn't like the film. Mr Robot did a good portrayal of Freddie, but even from the first shot of his back it looked similar...ish but that's about it, I guess the film was always going to happen at some point, but to me it wasn't Oscar worthy at all

6. james.miller

Capodecina

First rule of biopics: They are only based on fact. I know BR pushes the bounderies of the term based on fact but it isn't the first biopic to do so and it wont be the last. People are just a little bent out of shape because it's not the factually accurate retelling they wanted it to be. Boo hoo.

7. wolfie138

Mobster

have to say, i've always looked on stuff like this as what it is - a filmed/fictionalised telling, not a documentary. wrong facts might nark me a bit but unless they're ridiculous or insulting it's not generally a deal-breaker. eg, i loved "Dragon: the bruce lee story" - took some liberties, but was fun and entertaining, so it sits on my dvd rack.
    on the other hand, "serpent & the rainbow" ended up so far removed and silly that i haven't seen it since i saw it on release at the cinny many years ago. "based on" the book seemed to mean "we used the same title" and that was about it.

8. Malevolence

Capodecina

Watched this again last night, can't believe I missed the sly little nod to Wayne's World the first time around. Did make me chuckle.

9. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Late reply but I've been with my mates Brian, Roger & John for a re-write.
    We decided Show Must Go On would be better in 1973 and we're going to bring Seven Seas Of Rhye to around 2025.

10. EVH

Don

Yawn.

11. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

** You've tried that joke before. Let's not rehash your issues with the film, particularly as it's tiresome **

Apparently the Motley Crue film The Dirt is all over the place but I know bugger all about them and just enjoyed it.
    I'm not a Motley Crue fan but I like some songs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2019
  12. Armageus

Don

Watched this with the wife at the weekend - neither of us are die hard queen fans, but it's an enjoyable and emotional film, whether it takes liberties with the truth or not

13. TheOracle

Capodecina

Loved this film. I knew it wasn't very accurate so just watched it for pure entertainment.

14. TheOracle

Capodecina

No, that would have been silly although it would have been nice to swap between the two, or perhaps change it completely over to freddie for the last scene and ended it that way (maybe too emotional)..........I think they had the original playing on the wembley screens though?

15. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Going to see this again in the summer at one of those moonlight cinemas. Looking forward to it.

16. TheOracle

Capodecina

Not sure anything will beat radio ga ga at live aid

17. 8myers8

Gangster

Still not round to watching this ,

18. Bluecube

Wise Guy

Really enjoyed the film despite the liberties it took discussed ad nauseam. One thing that really struck me was that despite this being a film with full access to dramatic camera angles, lighting effects, fancy cuts, etc, etc, the film version of Live Aid is nowhere near as good as the original. It's a testament to what an amazing showman Freddy Mercury was, backed up by an amazing band that 34 years on it wasn't possible to replicate the dynamism shown at Live Aid.

19. Freddie1980

Soldato

I was annoyed with all the liberties taken to the way Freddie was portrayed i.e a selfish drunk. It was as almost as if Brian and Roger wanted to rewrite the history books.

20. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

As far as I remember Freddie did say he wasn't a nice person and wondered why the others stuck with him.
    What annoyed me was at the beginning in real life Freddie was just camp like a lot of artists of the day but the film had him as 100% gay from the start.
    It was years before we actually realised he was gay but we also weren't surprised, it was only when he came out did he start becoming the stereotype camp gay.