Boneworks

Associate
https://store.steampowered.com/app/823500/BONEWORKS/

Anyone else looking forward to this coming out tomorrow? It looks like it takes some of the best parts of some other games and wraps it up into a whole game and it supports knuckles controllers finger tracking (not required).

For game length the devs have said:
The scope of content for the campaign originally was between Arizona Sunshine and Portal1
So hopefully its got some meat to it and more than just a physics demo, although it does have a sandbox mode to play around with.

For movement, it does not support teleportation so some people might get a bit sick from this.
Devs:
For proper physics calculation, the locomotion is also physics based (free/smooth) locomotion. There are snap turning options as well as Joystick curve mapping which help with directionality tremendously.
The game literally would not function with teleporting and REQUIRES physics based locomotion to operate.

Also the crablets give me half life headcrab vibes
BoneworksGIF.gif

Associate
OP
In a recent video one of the devs mentions $30, there was a comment that I cant find at the moment saying this would be ~£24 in the UK and they wouldnt do the thing where its $30 and £30 like some games do.

@12:15 // $30 regular - $40 deluxe(game+soundtrack)

Soldato
Doesnt seem to work well with vive controls as its been designed for Index controllers :(

You'd think the major manufacturers would come together to produce an industry standard of basic button actions and the hand controllers not being reversed.
Obviously there will be improvements and innovation, but basic controls should compatible across as many devices as possible. If the controls are similar it's no
biggy to use another device or to upgrade.

Soldato
Sheesh VRFLG showing a peak usage of 8700, not seen that before or anything close. Looking down the list, despite the numbers on Boneworks, other games are maintaining their regular player counts.

Vr doing well:)

Associate
OP
Played about an hour last night and didn't finish the tutorial yet. Not sure what to think yet other than the warning on the store page holds true, this isn't a game for VR newbies as only gliding locomotion movement and no real comfort settings.
Boneworks store page said:
ATTENTION: This game demonstrates advanced VR mechanics and concepts, players are recommended to have previous VR experience and understanding of common VR gameplay principles before proceeding.

As others have said this really seems to be designed for knuckles controllers and works pretty well with them, other than a few janky moments. For example when trying to do some of the climbing my 'arm' would get twisted and wrapped around stuff awkwardly. I also found when holding onto a wall it would pull me uncomfortably close.

Gun range was nice, I could close my left eye and aim down sights with my right eye lining up the shot. I've not played any other real shooters (e.g.Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades, pavlov etc) to compare if the guns in this are bad, normal or good.

I stopped as I got to the advanced chambers and I think it will probably show off the max payne style slo-mo.

Stole this screenshot from reddit, but the way they called teleporting primitive in this section gave me a chuckle.
6jyj52w98v341.png

Not sure when I'll get to play again but I'm eager to get to some proper game play.

Associate
So does this thing actually have a game or plot? All I've seen is the clever tech iteractions.
Is it like H3 (Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades) where it's just a really in-depth sim?

Associate
OP
So does this thing actually have a game or plot? All I've seen is the clever tech iteractions.
Is it like H3 (Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades) where it's just a really in-depth sim?
I think its similar to HL2 in that it has a story but really made to show off the physics engine. They give a rough idea of the story in the launch trailer.

Soldato
Just a heads up to any quest owners planning on using VD WiFi for this game - something screwy going on with hand positioning which makes it basically unplayable.

Works fine using link.

VD dev is aware and says fix coming in Jan.

Caporegime
Doesnt seem to work well with vive controls as its been designed for Index controllers :(
Agreed. I fired the game up tonight for a quick warm up and was really struggling to grab things like the crowbar and hammer properly.

On the plus side, my Index controllers are arriving tomorrow, so I can see if it makes much difference.

How have people been playing this so far, sitting or standing? The smooth locomotion and standing is going to take some getting used to, I keep leaning when coming to a halt and almost over-balancing. So far the best way to combat this that I’ve found is to walk a bit when moving with the thumbpad, but I can see needing a larger VR room for this to work well in larger VR scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom