Boots Question

Soldato
I'd go for a proper boot coming up past the ankle and giving your shin some protection.

Nothing to stop your ankle twisting 360 degrees with those.

Proper protection is money well spent and you'll end up buying twice if you buy cheap.

If you can get to a J&S store I would they have a huge range.

Soldato
I've got some puma short boots, I really like them for what they are but they're no real replacement for proper bike boots. As said, mostly the ankles. My foot will be fine if I come off but that's no good if it's not attached to my leg anymore!

I wear them round town and occasionally on my 17/18 mile commute, but I know it's a bit naughty.

Tea Drinker
Don
I use these puppies, I'm a size 14 these were the only ones that fit over leather trousers and have snapped my leg before on a bike just over the ankle so I wanted something taller, took ages to break in but now they are flexible and comfortable.

Soldato
Just realised I forgot to say what I actually wear! I have some TCX SS waterproof sports boots, really like them. Bit sweaty when it's really hot but a great year round boot

Associate
I can see why that sort of boot is tempting but nothing replaces the protection you get from a full boot. It depends how much you're willing to risk on not requiring that protection really.

Personally I'm a big fan of sidi boots, they are extremely comfortable to the point I've worn them just to go out before.

The build quality is also pretty good, I've done around 10,000 miles in two years with my current pair and I tend to talk around in them once I'm there. The only fault on them is that the bit of the zip you hold onto snapped off a few days ago but can easily put something through as a replacement.

Soldato
Another vote for the SMX5's here. I've got wide feet and couldn't get any of the Sidi's to fit.

I say it doesn't matter what bike you've got, boots are one of the most important bits of kit to get right (along with lid and gloves).

Caporegime
OP
Just bought these

forma.jpg

Northwind:
For riders requiring an all-season option, the Northwind combines the features of touring boot with the comfort of the ankle-length design. Their leather and Cordura® upper, Drytex tubular lining, APS footbed, and air ventilation pockets, keep the wearer dry and comfortable on long journeys, whether riding into town or across the Continent. Velcro™ and lace closure eliminates potential pressure points and provides a secure fit. Protection is taken care of by TPU protection at vulnerable areas and Forma’s TPU Dual Flex, anti-shock EVA midsole. Triple density, anti-slip and oil-resistant soles ensure a firm grip on the pegs and sure footing at rest. Forma Northwind boots are available in black, sizes 36-48, RRP £114.99.

http://www.formaboots.com/site/scheda_prodotto.php?categoria=touring&id=142

£35

Soldato
I hope they don't leak like my last pair of Formas!

Just about to send back my pair of waterproof TCX as they leak too :(

I tried some Sidis but they were too narrow.

Soldato
What I am saying is, just because they are cheap doesn't make them ideal for use. As BennyC pointed out, they lack shin protection.

Back
Top Bottom