Born 50yrs too early...

Soldato
It's frustrating to think that the generation 50yrs after ours will most likely have health and longevity beyond our imagination...

Or it could me half today's longevity and significantly harder due to.... energy shortage, resource limitations, pollution, economic collapse, climate change, pandemic, super volcano, asteroid, nuclear war....

The future could be good, better than today. But it could also be bad, worse than today. We really have no way of knowing at all.

Given that it's hard to think of a problem that wouldn't be easier to solve with a lower population... I’m not sure increased life expectancy is such a good idea if it results in still larger populations!

Soldato
Any one else think we live too long as it is ? Surely our time and effort should go towards those who are less fortunate then ourselves. As a First World country we already have everything we need on our doorstep BUT we are impatient, easily angered, greedy, selfish and arrogant, yet still we want more.

If this did come to pass, do you really think it would improve quality of life ? Would you want to work for another 20 years of your life, doing what you do now for another 10, 20, 30 years (longer then you do now) ? You'd be bored and get complacent.

my 2p :p

Soldato
OP
Any one else think we live too long as it is ? Surely our time and effort should go towards those who are less fortunate then ourselves. As a First World country we already have everything we need on our doorstep BUT we are impatient, easily angered, greedy, selfish and arrogant, yet still we want more.

If this did come to pass, do you really think it would improve quality of life ? Would you want to work for another 20 years of your life, doing what you do now for another 10, 20, 30 years (longer then you do now) ? You'd be bored and get complacent.

There's no IF about it... Just WHEN...

At some point in 50, 100, or 200 years, we'll have the ability most likely to slowdown the aging process. Of course other factors will come into play such as general gene degradation. But people's life spans will drastically increase...

Soldato
Immortality, no.
I'd like to live until I'd completed my lifes ambitions and eventually got bored though, so a few hundred, maybe thousand years maybe?

OH DEAR GOD. Think how many children chavs will be able to have! :D

Soldato
So the worlds population could just double every 10 years or so? Even if your organs kept going, surely by 150 your would be blind, deaf and have the memory of a goldfish.

Man of Honour
Funnily enough I was with a bunch of 4th year Medical students last week who were lecturing to 50 x 14 year olds and one of them said 'Because of modern medicine there is an excellent chance that in this room one of you will live until you are 120 years old'

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough I was with a bunch of 4th year Medical students last week who were lecturing to 50 x 14 year olds and one of them said 'Because of modern medicine there is an excellent chance that in this room one of you will live until you are 120 years old'

Ummm... And then these 50 x fourteen olds spent the weekend sitting on the sofa playing their game consoles and eating KFC?

Caporegime
Beyond that people will most likely live two, three or more times longer...

Are you not the slightest bit jealous?

The fact its simply not even close to true makes me not jealous of it. In the next 100 years, people will routinely be hitting 100 years old, but you'll still be pretty "old" with it, as in wrinkly, frail, not particularly healthy etc.

I have no idea what makes anyone think the ageing process can be "fixed", if it can be, we're most likely hundreds of years away from it.

People won't be living to 140+ in the next hundred years, let along living two or three times longer than most do now.

More people living closer to the higher ages people live to now, yes, which will mostly mean more people aged 80-110 who cost our society more than any other group of people in pensions, benefits and healthcare. So all people have to look forward to is longer to live as they are frailer and unable to do much, and increased taxes for everyone to pay for them, yippee.

Man of Honour
If we don't sort out the energy supply issues [oil, etc] then we'll havbe far bigger problems in 20 years than just worrying about our ******* wrinkles...

If, and it's a very big if, technological advances occur as fast as he predicts and to the extent that he predicts, energy supply will cease to be an issue. If you can create nano-scale machines to do the fantastically complicated job of working together to be a human body, energy supply is a walk in the park. There is no shortage of energy on Earth. It's a shortage of energy in a form we can use. Such advanced technology would make the conversion straightforward.

I think he's excessively optimistic, perhaps as a result of feeling his own mortality. If it happened in 20 years, he'd have a good chance of being alive for it. If it happened in even just 30 years, he's very likely to die before it happens.

I think he's looking down the wrong road, anyway. On a cellular scale, biological machines (i.e. cells) seem to be much more efficient than mechanical machines (i.e. nanobots). Humans are on the verge of custom-making living cells. I think longevity treatments will be biological rather than mechanical, at least initially.

Caporegime

This is part of the hilarious idea of religion and heaven/hell, do you really want a eternity in heaven, honestly, what is there to do you would enjoy doing FOREVER.

Sex would be boring if you did it every few hours for the rest of time, as would bowling, reading and anything else anyone can think of. I'd prefer to stop, eventually as at some point there is literally nothing left to do, theres only a finite amount of things to do and see on earth. If we didn't have to work for 2/3rds of the day for 2/3rds of our lives, well, we'd be bored to tears, and most of those who work for so long are doing jobs that mean nothing to them and are boring. We've filled up our lives with so much meaningless crap anyway, you could condence the interesting stuff that was worthwhile and fun, into several years most likely, skip the rest and be done.

Soldato
OP
This is part of the hilarious idea of religion and heaven/hell, do you really want a eternity in heaven, honestly, what is there to do you would enjoy doing FOREVER.

Sex would be boring if you did it every few hours for the rest of time, as would bowling, reading and anything else anyone can think of. I'd prefer to stop, eventually as at some point there is literally nothing left to do, theres only a finite amount of things to do and see on earth. If we didn't have to work for 2/3rds of the day for 2/3rds of our lives, well, we'd be bored to tears, and most of those who work for so long are doing jobs that mean nothing to them and are boring. We've filled up our lives with so much meaningless crap anyway, you could condence the interesting stuff that was worthwhile and fun, into several years most likely, skip the rest and be done.
Speak for yourself... Unfortunately life is too short. Think of it even in these simple terms. The choice to have kids or not.. It's basically a life time commitment as it takes 25yrs to get them out of your door... The entire middle of your life is spent with (or without) kids basically.

Now, imagine being to live your life not having kids, and with kids... ie: Have the middle of your life twice (or more) over...

Soldato
I'd like to live forever, or die, come back as someone else, of course, you'd not realise it... But I find the idea of nothingness for eternity horrifying even if we would not realise it, it just seems odd, can't imagine it, just can't get the mind around it.

Back
Top Bottom