Born 50yrs too early...

Soldato
I dont think the planet would be able to take it for very long if people didnt die.

I dont think we would be able to take it either. Its the process of life, we must die.

Caporegime
Wait what, we all want to live longer so we can relive our 30-50 years again without having kids? Some people don't want kids, others manage to live life while having kids around, some people would, given the option choose to have kids again rather than the extra 25 years without much to do.

As for the idea of, living longer and just wiping your memory every so often so life is still interesting, what, just, what, what, what what..............

That might be the single stupidest thing I've ever heard.

There would be no point to life if you did something, only to erase your memory so you can do it again without being bored, by doing so you'd wipe out most of your life experience meaning, you only remember being alive for the same amount of time anyway, making everything you did you can't remember, entirely pointless.

If you regretted having kids, so what, you might relive those 25 years and be bored to tears without kids there. They take up a good deal of your time, did it not occur to you, you might simply be bored without them taking up your time.

But this is all ignoring the science behind it,

"I and many other scientists now believe that in around 20 years we will have the means to reprogramme our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, ageing.

thats just the biggest pile of crap I've ever read, the whole premise we can reverse aging by changing the programming, is utterly retarded.

Associate
I'd rather have conciousness transfered to a machine of some kind. Then we could have bodies capable of being easily replaced and the ability to travel the most distant stars etc.

Caporegime
Senescence has not been observed in certain animals such as the genus Hydra, so for all intents and purposes they have everlasting youth, there seems to be no reason why humans cannot be engineered the same way.

Permabanned
Death is a positive thing.

Immortality will destroy the human race with a generation. Those that will have access to it will be the super rich, and those that don't will destroy society.

Soldato
OP
Sounds absolutely horrendous to be forever young or forever old, I presently have no desire to live forever or even anywhere approaching an approximation of that, maybe that will change as I get closer to death but right now I quite like the fact that I've got a finite span to do my living in. "We are all under a sentence of death, but with a sort of indefinite reprieve." - Victor Hugo.

So given a nice extended period of 'middle life' lasting 100 instead of 30 years.. You wouldn't be interested?

Permabanned
So given a nice extended period of 'middle life' lasting 100 instead of 30 years.. You wouldn't be interested?

The earth is already overpopulated, and we are consuming unsustainably. Adding an extra 50 years will only mean you have to work longer, which will only benefit the handful of the elite that control commerce.

Within our system, we are nothing but economic slaves. There is no advantage of the elite releasing information about immortality to the masses.

Soldato
OP
Not especially no, as I say I'm quite happy with my limited lifespan at the moment and I can't imagine that is all that likely to change.

Let me guess, you're under 30, and feel immortal at the moment...

Wait 5-10 years... Just about when you can start feeling the rumblings of the freight train in the distance...

Soldato
I'm already in my mid 30s. I don't have enough hours in the day, or days in the week. If you locked me in a room with the current list of books I'd like to read I'd be quite content for a couple of years. I'm already regretting wasted time, and I'm conscious my life expectancy is only another 50 years at most. I do expect that to go up as medical advances arrive though.

Frankly I'd like to live forever, if it's available at a cost then I'll strive to afford it.

Man of Honour
Senescence has not been observed in certain animals such as the genus Hydra, so for all intents and purposes they have everlasting youth, there seems to be no reason why humans cannot be engineered the same way.

You have taken A and B, and have subsequently leaped to omega. No reason? Apart from the fact they are in completely different groups, for starters? You didn't just compare the genetic complexity of a Hydra to a human... did you?

You cannot make a human immortal through genetic tinkering, unless you somehow could calculate the cumulative effect on senescence of every single allele possible whilst leaving an otherwise functional human being - the point being it wouldn't function anyway because we have those alleles for a reason i.e. they work. Furthermore, we can barely calculate the effect of one gene on a cumulative phenotype, because every gene depends every other.

Sorry, but your statement is utterly bogus.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You have taken A and B, and have subsequently leaped to omega. No reason? Apart from the fact they are in completely different groups, for starters? You didn't just compare the genetic complexity of a Hydra to a human... did you?

No I didn't, I have studied genetics at university but it's a casual forum post so I have no interest in writing long explanations. Besides which, more complex organisms such as fish and turtles have been observed to have negligible Senescence.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No I didn't, I have studied genetics at university but it's a casual forum post so I have no interest in writing long explanations. Besides which, more complex organisms such as fish and turtles have been observed to have negligible Senescence.

But both of those groups have entirely different lifestyles and reproductive strategies compared to humans. Humans in no way fit the relative reproductive rate hypothesis - it's apples and oranges.

I'm surprised that you would suggest that immortality is possible if you have studied genetics. Even if it was possible (which I hasten to add that it isn't), it wouldn't be an evolutionary stable strategy as it would be more beneficial to for humans to select for reproduction.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Let me guess, you're under 30, and feel immortal at the moment...

Wait 5-10 years... Just about when you can start feeling the rumblings of the freight train in the distance...

I am under 30 but my viewpoint isn't due to feelings of present immortality, I simply don't want to live forever, knowing that I won't therefore isn't a source of any concern to me.

Soldato
Not especially no, as I say I'm quite happy with my limited lifespan at the moment and I can't imagine that is all that likely to change.
I would love to live for longer... all the timewasting I could get up to, without having to worry about it, all the extra things you could do with your life - schooliong, career, travel the world and work with charity for 50 years then go home and have kids, then back to work when they get to uni... I would love having the freedom of a massive lifespan. I can't imagine not wanting to live longer unless I had some kind of painful chronic disease or everyone else had died 20 years ago and I got bored...

Caporegime
I'm surprised that you would suggest that immortality is possible if you have studied genetics. Even if it was possible (which I hasten to add that it isn't), it wouldn't be an evolutionary stable strategy as it would be more beneficial to for humans to select for reproduction.

As the mechanism of senescence is not understood I do not rule anything out.

Back
Top Bottom