Bosch oven no longer heating up

Soldato
Hi my sausage rolls will not cook at all as today my oven turned off on its own and tripped the rcd

once turned back on
There is power etc fans but the oven is just not getting hot enough to cook food
I think the grill is ok though

the oven is less than 5 years old

Quick google suggests that the heating element is gone
Does that sound right and is it easy enough to replace?

Soldato
Yes heating element, its only a few screws and a couple of wires to change over to replace. I have replaced my one twice in about 8 or 9 years.

Soldato
Does the fan still spin
If the element is finished?

Yup, everything will work as normal just won't heat up.

I changed the element in mine a few years ago, pretty easy has never done it before.

On mine you could see straight away the part of the element that had blown. The replacement element was like £20.

Soldato
OP
Thanks yes looking online about £20

Things aren’t really built like they were back in the days
But i reckon potentially thats our fault in the house

we often keep the main oven switch turned off and only turn the switch on when needed etc
I reckon that has prob not helped the heating element of the oven
We need to change our wayS

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

we often keep the main oven switch turned off and only turn the switch on when needed etc

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Soldato
Hi my sausage rolls will not cook at all as today my oven turned off on its own and tripped the rcd

once turned back on
There is power etc fans but the oven is just not getting hot enough to cook food
I think the grill is ok though

the oven is less than 5 years old

Quick google suggests that the heating element is gone
Does that sound right and is it easy enough to replace?
they only seem to last for a couple of years in my experience

Soldato
don't see that that matters , if you turn the oven&hob off at the main switch, for mine you principally turn off the fan blowing air across the door so it doesn't get too hot, otherwise I don't see this a prematurely aging element. - always do it - it's definitive.

you can test the element with a multimeter to see if the resistance is too high.

on a previous oven the relay that switched the element on/off had gone on the circuit board, elemnt itself was fine.

Soldato
OP
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

ok so basically I'm guessing most people always leave the oven switch that's on the wall to the on posisition?

We don't and whenever we are finished we turn the oven off at the wall I reckon it could have been a bad move though. constantly turning it off and on etc not best for components

Soldato
OP
so it was 4 screws to get to the element and............it actually looks OK which isn't good news imo.
let me get that pic

are elements supposed to be visually worn out?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

ok so basically I'm guessing most people always leave the oven switch that's on the wall to the on posisition?

We don't and whenever we are finished we turn the oven off at the wall I reckon it could have been a bad move though. constantly turning it off and on etc not best for components

Ah I see.

Yes, I can't see a reason to turn the isolator on and off constantly.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

so it was 4 screws to get to the element and............it actually looks OK which isn't good news imo.
let me get that pic

are elements supposed to be visually worn out?

They can have an internal break so look visually fine. You could check continuity and resistance with a meter (check service manual for values) but tbh I'd just replace it.

Soldato
It can be obvious with the ceramic bulging/cracked but can also still look fine but be faulty and need replaced

Can test with a multimeter like jpaul says...

e: as above!

Soldato
( turning off the oven/hob combo at the wall is a good habit if you have children around too
- with electric prices I wouldn't accidentally want to leave it on, either, .... like the pre-heat on the combi boiler? )

Soldato
OP
cheers guys so I was thinking.....

is it safe for me to close the door, turn the oven on and actually see if the element turns red?

fair test to prove it works or not? I don't have a multi meter and even if I did I am unsure how I would test continuity.

Back
Top Bottom