BOTW Weekly Results Round I - IPA

Associate
Secondly, I noticed some of the entries are referred to as American Style IPAs. What exactly is the difference? Are IPAs subdivided into things like American, Double, Black, etc? I've never really tried any IPAs until this competition, so I know nothing about them. Which do people generally prefer? The one I bought was extremely fruity (presumably from the hops). It's classified as "IPA - Session". To be honest, I didn't like it all that much.

Quick answer is a traditional IPA (as in brewed to be exported to India) is a low ABV beer similar to what you'd now see in cask, something like Greene King IPA.

In the late 80s/early 90s american microbreweries started to experiment with a wider variety of hops which created 'hop bomb' American style IPAs. Higher volume, lots of fruity flavours and made for keg rather than cask. A lot of UK, and many other countries too, breweries have now started to replicate that type of beer and therefore call them American IPAs. APA - American Pale Ale is another category to come from this.

The other types are just as they sound. Black IPA uses a different malt I believe to get a roasty taste which turns it black. Session is just as it sounds, lower ABV with all the flavour of an IPA which you can drink all day (on a Session). Double IPA is brewed longer with more hops to make it a higher ABV, usually between 7% and 10%.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm amazed anyone managed to send a duplicate in!

For anyone who sees an 8 wired IPA on sale I urge you to get it and enjoy, I really like pretty much the entire range from them and the super conductor double IPA in the background is immense :)

Permabanned
Do I have this right, the purpose is to get a unique ale or just any ale that fulfills the weeks criteria?

I may participate soon, obviously out of the running now but it will be fun.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not even going to entertain that :p.

What about now..... ;)

They are sure out to get you.... :p

1zx2x1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom