Bought an old BMW M3, filled with regret...

Man of Honour
OP
Congrats on the M3, 13k does seem a lot though, Do you plan to keep this longer than 3 years ?

Yes indeed :cool: :

I don't know what car I will get after this, I don't even know if I want to ever get rid and instead just keep it a well loved example. If and when my life situation changes in the future I will simply just get whatever electric saloon car is ideal for that need and keep the E46 for the moments I need some me time

It would certainly be nice to have one of the nicer examples of this model on the road in years to come when many of them will likely be in questionable states.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I agree Gaygle but I had to have this example and I hope the pictures do show why! It was a pleasure owning one of the nicest examples of E46 Sport most people will see on the road, both mechanically and visually. I can happily continue that with the M3.

I've done the research too and heated seats can be retrofitted if desired. For me that's a thing that's nice to have but not strictly a requirement. If a set of heated seats come up for cheap or just the elements then I'll take out the elements, buy the switch panel and fit it myself. Like most things E46, an element of faff is involved of

Very nice mrk! That detailing session really paid off. Looks immaculate.

Now you have a car worthy of your photograghy skills :p

Hey hey... That car is still a good car!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Better than the same photos in some dank field driveway every time though right, Cosimo? ;)

I've done my main pics post purchase, everything else will from now on be from road trips and the like. Europe later in the year if all goes to plan.

Soldato
You'll now get bored to death with endless photos of it. :p:D

Nah, mrk's motor is lush...almost as stunning as his photography.

Keep the pics coming I say :)

Also mrk, I prefer your current wheels to the CSL's. They're unique to the E46 and suit it well. CSL's and reps are on far too may BMW's.

Soldato
Nah, mrk's motor is lush...almost as stunning as his photography.

Really cannot disagree there!

I often wondered why people would take so much care over a car but until you own something nice, something you've spent a lot of times saving/hunting for, you don't appropriate or have the need to want to keep it nice - like something to show off.

It looks fantastic and your photography makes it look even better.

Soldato
Great write up and pictures as usual!

I wonder, once the novelty of having the roof down wears off, how often will you put it down unless the weather is just right?
Or will you just wrap up and face the elements no matter what?

Oh and good man going with manual :D

Man of Honour
Absolutely lovely.

Black looks great when freshly waxed, but you'll soon hate how quickly it shows any sort of dirt. Especially this time of year.

Even those summer specs of dust show instantly.

Soldato
How Large is the fuel tank?

Edit: 63L
so ignore 1Gallon (the point most fuel lights come on)

Thats 12.87Gallons.
400/12.87 = 31MPG

Nice engine that
My Clio 172 just about manages that :O

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Great write up and pictures as usual!

I wonder, once the novelty of having the roof down wears off, how often will you put it down unless the weather is just right?
Or will you just wrap up and face the elements no matter what?

Oh and good man going with manual :D

The roof is down on the S2000 as often as possible. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks guys :cool:

I think the novelty of having the roof down will wear away a bit but not entirely. That exhaust note with the roof down I tell you will never ever get old!

I know we've had some poor weather and yes indeed dirt shows up much easier than on the Titan Silver I had before. Even light stone chips are more visible as white specs - Sacrifices have to be made though I guess. I've seen those clear film wraps you can have applied on all panels, one guy did it to a custom 330Ci in the USA. No idea on costs or anything on them though but it's certainly an option if the dirt and grit showing up does end up being a right pain. At least it won't be harming the paintwork.

It is Carbon Black but it's more of a very dark midnight blue. I wondered why it was called as such but then it hit me, Carbon Paper is often a really dark bluey colour :p

I will most likely keep the wheels kona, as you say they are unique to the E46 and this new finish is really sweet. I really like CSL wheels but as you say, too many reps about.

How Large is the fuel tank?

Edit: 63L
so ignore 1Gallon (the point most fuel lights come on)

Thats 12.87Gallons.
400/12.87 = 31MPG

Nice engine that
My Clio 172 just about manages that :O

The OBC was indeed showing 31.2MPG on a motorway run - It is a great engine and as bizarre as it may sound, economical for the performance on offer and the weight it's pushing. Local driving nets me 22-25MPG on average with bursts of excitement. I know some have said they've seen mid teens but they must have been flooring it everywhere!

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Great car mate!
The S54 is one of the last great engines it truly is along with the V10 in the M5/M6. :)

Plans?
- Exploring an exhaust upgrade to the ACS one. I am very fond of the stock exhaust sound and don't want to lose that but I do want to get shot of the corrosion on the stock tips on mine, it's not obvious until up close but enough to bother me and I'm told the ACS exhaust retains the stock sound and rasp but adds to it with E46 330 like low down depth. A best of both worlds I guess and should be a reasonably cheap upgrade. Happy to wait until I need to replace the exhaust anyway to do this though or until the tips get worse.
- CSL wheels. The dealer has said if I keep these wheels in the same condition then when I'm ready I can have a cheap swap to genuine CSL wheels. No rush, I really like the American Chrome stock 19s.
- Xenon bulb swap. These are good but not as white as my old car's Osram Xenarc bulbs were now that I've spent a long time on the road at night.

Don't do the ACS exhaust unless you can get it cheap, but I hate the tips on those as they are like a figure of 8 and well just look wrong in my opinion. Milltek drone so avoid those and nearly every other exhaust changes the note to be deeper which is not great. The only exhaust I like is stock or the Supersprint which are big money. If your stock exhaust issue is just tips, then why not just add some euro tips, much nicer looking and cost circa £100ish. :)

If you want more of that rasp, try to source a CSL mid-pipe and some high-flow cats or decats you will get a slightly louder note and more of the metallic rasp which you either love or hate.

CS/CSL wheels are a must, CS rears are same as CSL rears, only difference are the front, the CS are 0.5" narrower than CSL ones. CSL wheels are the best looking full stop and make sure you get correct tyre size on them which is 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear if memory serves me right and only fit Michelin MPSS by far the best tyres on the M3 if you enjoy pushing it and want great grip in all conditions.

Wheel re-trim looks good, about to get mine done in Alcantera withg yellow stitching.

Back
Top Bottom