Bought an old BMW M3, filled with regret...

Soldato
Seems to be a common theme! Someone has an E46 years ago, sells it, always mentioned missing it :D Not sure what I'd do if I ever sold mine, the days would feel empty without a new thing to go wrong and then replace every other month :cry:

Oh yes, I always tune into to a new episode, usually on youtube of course :cool:
Did over 100k in mine and only thing that broke was the alternator after 5 years. Not bad going eh? Went through a few sets of rears mind!

Soldato
I hope Santa brings me one of these one year
HQUcrzO.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Chocolate brown? I really like Cinnamon leather, I'd have that any day. If I ever get a CSL then all the Alcantara is getting taken out and retrimmed in soft waxy Cinnamon leather.

Last edited:
Associate
I have just been reading your thread (again re the rod bearings). I have just bought a 2006 Z4M, on 50k. I am booked in a Redish for an oil change and for them to test the oil as I wanted to wait for an inspection one service and incorporate the replacement rod bearings then. The car has been serviced as per BMW with documented oils changes in between services. Making me consider doing the rod bearings now... But as they are on 50k it seems a little early?

Man of Honour
OP
The oil test will tell you what's what as it all comes down to how it was driven by previous owners. If they let the oil reach nominal temp before going beyond 3000rpm then can't see any issues even if it was higher mileage but for total peace of mind I can see why you'd want to just get them changed with the revised bearing shells anyway and avoid a similar learning experience like I did!

Redish will sort you out though :cool:

Soldato
I have just been reading your thread (again re the rod bearings). I have just bought a 2006 Z4M, on 50k. I am booked in a Redish for an oil change and for them to test the oil as I wanted to wait for an inspection one service and incorporate the replacement rod bearings then. The car has been serviced as per BMW with documented oils changes in between services. Making me consider doing the rod bearings now... But as they are on 50k it seems a little early?
I would just change them if I were you.

The rod bearing issue comes from cold starts and thick oil - both of which you have on a 17 year old car with only 50k miles. I felt so much better when I had them changed and the peace of mind that it gave was worth it.

Associate
I would just change them if I were you.

The rod bearing issue comes from cold starts and thick oil - both of which you have on a 17 year old car with only 50k miles. I felt so much better when I had them changed and the peace of mind that it gave was worth it.
You're right. I am going to change my booking and get it done.

Man of Honour
OP
Wish I had mine changed way back too but wasn't aware of the situation until too late!

It's annoying that by default the non CSL M3 and Z4M both show the water temp getting to normal via the tach lights and not the oil temp so naturally many owners just think the lights are at norm so they can rev it out now.

I've mapped my oil temp to the tach lights just like the CSL so even if I miss glancing at the oil needle one day I'm always noticing the tach lights as they're bright and obvious.

I also don't go above 3krpm until the oil has reached normal temps.

I'll be taking my vanos unit to Mr Vanos at some point too to get the bolts and solenoid changed as a preventative as they all go at some point and mine is still the donor engine one so at approximately 87k miles currently.

Redish did check it during engine swap and it was fine so I'm happy with it for now. The moment I get any grumbles when applying throttle in say 4th gear at low rpm I'll know the vanos needs booking in.

Last edited:
Associate
You're right. I am going to change my booking and get it done.
With my Z4M, it was something that was always in the back of my mind, especially as I got close to and then crossed the 60K mark. But I still had a BMW warranty on mine during my ownership so I had that to full back on had it happened. I also had owned it 6 years and from 22K miles and was very careful to make sure it was warmed up correctly before going above 3K same as mrk.

Also if it does not have one get the Eventuri intake for it, improves the noise and apparently improves the performance as well.

On a related note, the poor car has only done a few 100 miles in the 2 years the new owner has had it. Seems like such a waste.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Your old Z4M is someone's garage queen now Badger, such a shame :(

As for the eventuri, definitely worth getting although they have doubled in price since they came out, mine was £550 when I got it!

Sounds:

Back
Top Bottom