Bought my first bike today... without viewing...

Soldato
Bought my first bike today... without viewing... PICS ADDED

Bought a 1997 Honda CBR600F from Budget Bikes, Swindon. Picked her up for £1499, they charged me £1599, but i noticed when the invoice came through and they will refund it to my card. Getting it delivered hopefully this weekend.

Anybody here have experiences with this dealer, or bought bikes blind before?

Anything in particular to look out for on this year and model bike?

I'm excited to look it over and get started on any work.... also incredibly nervous!

Now to pass my Mod 2 and get my crazy priced insurance!

Last edited:
Associate
Bought a 1997 Honda CBR600F from Budget Bikes, Swindon. Picked her up for £1499, they charged me £1599, but i noticed when the invoice came through and they will refund it to my card. Getting it delivered hopefully this weekend.

Anybody here have experiences with this dealer, or bought bikes blind before?

Anything in particular to look out for on this year and model bike?

I'm excited to look it over and get started on any work.... also incredibly nervous!

Now to pass my Mod 2 and get my crazy priced insurance!

Well done on getting your first bike! Of all the old bikes, you've picked a good strong reliable one, I had a CBR600 many years ago and it was faultless. It will very much depend on previous owners and how it's been used as to it's general condition mind.

How competent are you working on bikes? If you don't know your way around them make sure you have a 'mechanic mate' with you to show the basics and help out, or alternatively book it in at Kent Motorcycles for an inspection/service, as you're based in Canterbury they're just a short trek down the A2. They're a Honda dealer too. That will give you piece of mind. But always more satisfying working on your own bike, getting to know it etc. :)

Soldato
OP
They're the guys I'm doing my DSA with, great team down there. As for location...that shop is the middle of no where!

My first thought was me, my engineer dad, (he's been riding and tweaking for 30 odd years) :) and a Haynes manual, with Kent Motor Cycles to do a full check over after we are done.

I did a lot of research and I was torn between this and a 2003 SV650. I just couldn't resist the CBR.

Associate
They're the guys I'm doing my DSA with, great team down there. As for location...that shop is the middle of no where!

My first thought was me, my engineer dad, (he's been riding and tweaking for 30 odd years) :) and a Haynes manual, with Kent Motor Cycles to do a full check over after we are done.

I did a lot of research and I was torn between this and a 2003 SV650. I just couldn't resist the CBR.

i would have gone with the SV but im sure you will be happy with the cbr

Associate
Congrats, my first bike was a 1996cbr and was happy with it. You have paid 400 - 500 too much IMO though.

One thing to look out for is a leaking fuel tank. At that age they are prone to rusting inside and little holes appear causing fuel to leak.

Soldato
Congrats, my first bike was a 1996cbr and was happy with it. You have paid 400 - 500 too much IMO though.

One thing to look out for is a leaking fuel tank. At that age they are prone to rusting inside and little holes appear causing fuel to leak.

most of the ones I have seen that age are around the £1500
the 97 cbr he has is the 2nd gen ramair cbr your 96 was 1st gen ramair same as my 95 cbr

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I feel I got a pretty good price tbh. Especially as it only has 47000 on the clock :D that's a newly broken in engine... Almost.

It's a very well looked after bike, a bit scruffy. Only issue iv found with it is the previous owner changed the down pipes to stainless ones but hasn't bolted the 2 & 3 pipes n they're blowing and slightly Corroded, I'm scared to ride it anymore :( Need some spare time to play

Soldato
I feel I got a pretty good price tbh. Especially as it only has 47000 on the clock :D that's a newly broken in engine... Almost.

It's a very well looked after bike, a bit scruffy. Only issue iv found with it is the previous owner changed the down pipes to stainless ones but hasn't bolted the 2 & 3 pipes n they're blowing and slightly Corroded, I'm scared to ride it anymore :( Need some spare time to play

47,000 or 4,700? :p

Yeah, the CBR600F can go for miles. Bullet proof.

Soldato
OP
I didn't haggle at all, I was very happy with the price. Budget bikes history is that they buy part exchanges and sell them not much above blue book value, so make little profit on each bike but sell a lot of them

I bought blind but the sales man was very descriptive and helpful. To be honest I bought the bike expecting to be doing quite a bit of work to make it road worthy and was very pleasantly suprised. I wouldn't buy expecting a pristine 2nd hand bike but I would recommend this dealer to anyone. Just don't expect main dealer service and quality is all. Iv unearthed a real gem of a bike from these guys and had a great experience buying from them, they even threw in a free mot :) I cannot fault budget bikes.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Why haven't you posted any pics ?

The Guy above that said these are raced ? There not it's a CBR-F not a CBR-R.

Is that 47000miles or Kms ?

Anyway, Good sports tourer but a few to many miles for that money if it is miles that is.

All that's by the by though it's your first bike & you bought a Honda, Welcome to the club. :cool:

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom